The Student Room Group

AQA eng lang & lit king lear

Hi guys, so the English exam is next week. I was wondering if any of you had any tips of essay structures for either parts of the exam. Honestly my teachers have been pretty shocking and I don't really know it's going to pan out. And because the exam only change to king lear like last year or something there are only two past papers. Have your teachers hinted at any possible themes? Also how are you revising for it? Generally I'm just re-reading the book, making sure I know lots of English vocab for the unseen part and learning a few quotes from Lear. Thanks guys
Reply 1
I've just got practise essays that have high marks and i'm annotating them and seeing how they did it, and then planning on what kind of things i'd need to write in an introduction etc.. for both parts.
Unseen i am doing theorists and just writing lots of practise essays and improving them even the ones that have been marked.
King Lear, just going through themes, annotation and looking at character profiles.
Original post by imsb
I've just got practise essays that have high marks and i'm annotating them and seeing how they did it, and then planning on what kind of things i'd need to write in an introduction etc.. for both parts.
Unseen i am doing theorists and just writing lots of practise essays and improving them even the ones that have been marked.
King Lear, just going through themes, annotation and looking at character profiles.

omg theorists?! we haven't learnt any! i honestly don't even think my teachers know what you need to write a good essay, they seem to disagree with eachother all the time. thanks ill try some of this stuff, can't get them marked though cos they never mark anything. becoming a bit defeatist about it all tbh
Reply 3
Theorists like Grice's and Labov? Like narrative structure and the cooperative principle? For the unseen texts? You can use them in King Lear too! My teachers are useless too :L
I know I can't wait until it's over, it really is dragging...
We just learnt for the transcript and the literary text question to write about theorists, attitudes and values, a common theme like the schema and framework and then context etc..

Quick Reply

Latest