Turn on thread page Beta

Is another major terrorist attack inevitable? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After the scare last week and a flight diversion today do you think that another major attack is inevitable?

Security is out of control especially in the UK after the London-Washington flight diverted to Boston because the captain declared a security emergency, because a woman was apparently carrying a screw driver, a box of matches, vaseline and an al-qaeda note.

What should be done to improve security? Will I never be able to listen to my ipod inside an aircraft ever again?

Forget severe, critical and red alerts. They don't mean anything. The world is becoming a dangerous place.

ReputationRep:
    Are the American and British governments going to change to suit the demands of the extremists? no

So, is another attack likely? yes.

(Original post by coolworld37)
    Security is out of control especially in the UK after the London-Washington flight diverted to Boston because the captain declared a security emergency, because a woman was apparently carrying a screw driver, a box of matches, vaseline and an al-qaeda note.
    Perhaps it's just me, but I'd be worried if the person next to me on a flight had a skrewdriver and note from al-qaeda. :confused: To me that seems slightly worrying.

ReputationRep:
    After the scare last week and a flight diversion today do you think that another major attack is inevitable?

What should be done to improve security? Will I never be able to listen to my ipod inside an aircraft ever again?

Forget severe, critical and red alerts. They don't mean anything. The world is becoming a dangerous place.
    The world has always been a dangerous place, and the mass media and their hysteircs make it all the more dangerous.

Has it occured to anyone that if someone is intent on blowing up a load of people, they'll manage it, especially if they don't mind dying themselves?

Creating all of these huge delays and crowds in the airport is how it starts. Then, before they even have to get through to the departure lounge, terrorists could decide to blow themselves up in the lobbies, where all of these crowds are. Quite ironic, that in the desperate attempts to protect us, they are just putting us in more danger. aIf i was a terrorist intent on killing people, i'd take myself down to the airport, stand in the lobby among the huge crowds of delayed passengers, and kaboom. That is what i think is inevitable.

Another annying thing. This profiling. They'll merely manage to find people who don't fit the profiles to do the bombings. Alreayd we've seen a few white males willing to explode. The authorities will get around being accused of picking on Muslims by also picking on young black males. They'll use them to be able to say " look, it isn't just Muslims we are searching". Meanwhile, white psychos will waltz through, and then kaboom again.

I don't pretend to know how to address the problem of searching at airports. But i can see the gaping holes that have been created already.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how stupid terrorists are. If you're going to blow up a plane with a bunch of household chemicals then how do you manage to get caught? Surely it's not that hard to stay under the radar. I can understand if they were trying to buy anthrax on the black market or something but homemade-bombs - come on.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's likely:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/43012

But in related news, BA has grounded all flights from Heathrow again. Apparently "I ain't getting on no plan, foo'!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    Has it occured to anyone that if someone is intent on blowing up a load of people, they'll manage it, especially if they don't mind dying themselves?

Creating all of these huge delays and crowds in the airport is how it starts. Then, before they even have to get through to the departure lounge, terrorists could decide to blow themselves up in the lobbies, where all of these crowds are. Quite ironic, that in the desperate attempts to protect us, they are just putting us in more danger. aIf i was a terrorist intent on killing people, i'd take myself down to the airport, stand in the lobby among the huge crowds of delayed passengers, and kaboom. That is what i think is inevitable.
    It doesn't have quite the same impact on people as airplanes being blown out of the air. You only need a tiny explosion on an areoplane in order to rupture the hull and everyone is pretty much guarenteed to die. A small explosion in a departure lounge but it wouldn't have the same effect. Firstly people are more likely to survive, secondly there are likely to be lost limbs rather than death - not really very nice, and thirdly it's just not as big as a plane falling from the sky.

(I'm not saying anyone should blow up a plane, btw).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    It doesn't have quite the same impact on people as airplanes being blown out of the air. You only need a tiny explosion on an areoplane in order to rupture the hull and everyone is pretty much guarenteed to die. A small explosion in a departure lounge but it wouldn't have the same effect. Firstly people are more likely to survive, secondly there are likely to be lost limbs rather than death - not really very nice, and thirdly it's just not as big as a plane falling from the sky.

(I'm not saying anyone should blow up a plane, btw).
    Well, they could just use bigger, more powerful bombs- they wouldn't have to worry about concealment because they wouldn't be trying to get them on a plane. Plus, it is less about the actual number of deaths, and more about the teror it would cause.

Yes, it would be more sensationalist to do it to a plane. But if all they want is teror and destruction, i don't think they're going to be that picky- especially as their options are being limited by the more thorough searches

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    Perhaps it's just me, but I'd be worried if the person next to me on a flight had a skrewdriver and note from al-qaeda. :confused: To me that seems slightly worrying.
    Trust me, so would I.

ReputationRep:

HTF would the captain on a London-Washington flight know she was carrying a note from Al-Queda? Do they write in English these days and bear the signature of Bin-Laden?

A vase of vaseline, a box of matches, and a screwdriver? WOW! What terrorist could do without this vital equipment?

This sounds to me like another ridiculous over-reaction.:rolleyes:

The only thing out of control here is a sense of reality.

ReputationRep:

Is that a real issue here?:rolleyes:

I don't know if I'd say inevitable, but it is very likely. Eventually (one would think) terrorists will start going after "softer" targets like malls, concerts or other public places, simply because it would be so much easier than smuggling explosive material onto an aircraft. There's very, very little security at such places and often times there are more people in those sort of places than there are on an airplane. So I guess I'd say another terrorist attack is very likely, but whether or not it will be on the scale of 9/11 or 7/7 remains to be seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    HTF would the captain on a London-Washington flight know she was carrying a note from Al-Queda? Do they write in English these days and bear the signature of Bin-Laden?

A vase of vaseline, a box of matches, and a screwdriver? WOW! What terrorist could do without this vital equipment?

This sounds to me like another ridiculous over-reaction.:rolleyes:

The only thing out of control here is a sense of reality.
    Apparently you've not seen the latest series of 24.

The woman was clearly planning to use the screwdriver to break into the luggage compartment, unscrew the panneling on the ceiling and control the plane via the wiring found inside. The vaseline was obvioiusly to keep her hands well oiled whilst carrying out the laborious task.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    Are the American and British governments going to change to suit the demands of the extremists? no

So, is another attack likely? yes.

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd be worried if the person next to me on a flight had a skrewdriver and note from al-qaeda. :confused: To me that seems slightly worrying
    How did they know it was from al-qaeda, do they not write in arabic?? But yes I would be a bit worried, in fact I would probably steal the sckrewdriver and force her to the front of the plane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Trust me, so would I.
    Me to

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, it's rather easy to say it's an overreaction sitting here at a computer, bit different when you're the one sitting next to her.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the pilot read arabic? And still, how did she get a screwdriver past security? Surely a screwdriver should count as a dangerous weapon and not let into the hand baggage in the first place?

I'd be worried.

ReputationRep:
    There was no screwdriver. She was carrying something far, far worse.
    HAND CREAM :eek:

This is getting rediculous. The people last week haven't been charged (the case is so open and shut the police need extra time?) and this woman is simply a person who appears to have flippe-out on a long flight. Calm down folks.

ReputationRep:
    you're right, the police should only ever arrest people when they can absolutely prove someone has committed a crime, no point in arressting someone just because you suspect they're going to kill 100s of people is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    you're right, the police should only ever arrest people when they can absolutely prove someone has committed a crime, no point in arressting someone just because you suspect they're going to kill 100s of people is there?
    The way the incident has been discussed is that it was equal to stumbling upon Guy Fawkes sitting on a big barrel of TNT trying to find his box of matches.

Considering the INEVITABLENESS of this TERRIBLE ATROCITY. isn't it odd that no one has been charged?

ReputationRep:
    The stupidity of this thing, and airport security generally, is overwhelming.

Think about it. The US government has spent billions since 9/11 on airport security by employing 1000's of people to check that you havn't got anything hidden in your shoes and yet 90% of cargo that goes into the hull of commercial airliners is completely unchecked!

Then, when the so-called London threat was unravelled they gave us a knee-jerk reaction of banning toothpaste and cans of pepsi.

It proves one thing. HomeLand Security is a totally reactionist organization and cannot think on it's feet and anticipate threats. "Something's gone down in London - quickly let's ban shampoo!"

ReputationRep:
    hold baggage isn't unchecked otherwise everyone would put bombs in it. its goes through x-rays and explosive tests and security checks probably just as much, if not more than cabin luggage does.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.