The Student Room Group

I'm NOT a virgin and I feel so ashamed about it

Hi just wanted to get something off my chest that's been bothering me a bit. I lost my virginity when I was 20, I'm not proud of it because I felt pressured into doing it. Then I had a boyfriend and I slept with him, but felt comfortable. After my boyfriend and I broke up, I felt lonely, so at the first opportunity, my guy friend and I hooked up and we hook up once every year, so guess Im being abstinent for 364 days of the year.

Some of my friends are virgins, but one in particular talks about her being a virgin to me all the time. It's good that she waited, but she would talk about a guy who likes her and would always say to me "That guy likes me, but I don't want to feel pressured to sleep with someone, I want to do it when I'm ready, because I remember that guy you first slept with......" And she would keep going on about it and I don't like speaking about my sexual past, because Im ashamed.

I'm ashamed I'm not a virgin anymore and Im ashamed a guy will not like me, because I'm not a virgin and I've been with 3 people.
I see my guy friend once every year, so I don't have sex regularly, it's just things like this remind me of who I've been with and I feel so ashamed and embarrassed. There are many 26 year old virgins and every day and I kick myself for not waiting.

I would love to be in a committed non-sexual relationship, but how can I be. I'm scared if a guy I fall for knows I'm not a virgin, he would see me as tainted and used, as most guys like virgins.

What should I do? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If u need cheerin up cum visit me. Privat mesag me if ur up 4 it
Reply 2
It was obvious this thread would be by a girl
Original post by Anonymous
Some of my friends are virgins, but one in particular talks about her being a virgin to me all the time. It's good that she waited, but she would talk about a guy who likes her and would always say to me "That guy likes me, but I don't want to feel pressured to sleep with someone, I want to do it when I'm ready, because I remember that guy you first slept with......" And she would keep going on about it and I don't like speaking about my sexual past, because Im ashamed.

Sounds like you just have a horrible friend. Ask her to stop talking about it/ditch her?

There are many 26 year old virgins and every day and I kick myself for not waiting.

Now I'm thinking troll
Reply 3
Most guys like virgins? Oh I thought most of us didn't give two s****, only me then
Reply 4
You're over 20 ? Never would have thought it from your concern.

Stop placing an unrealistic importance on sex. It's just sex, enjoy it. Go out tonight and sleep with a few more.

All this malarchy about remember your first etc is nonsense. There is nothing sacred of important about virginity or sex or anything, take a stroll into 2014.
Don't worry about it, the past is the past. I'm sure most guys don't care. But me personally I want my wife to be a virgin, just like myself.
I'm a virgin so I don't really know what I'm talking about. But basically, I don't think you should put unrealistic expectations of how your first time should've been in your head. It's not always the best thing ever, (I've heard), but it can be with the right person regardless of virginity. So who cares? Most girls aren't virgins by that age anyway so I doubt guys are gonna be picky about that.
Original post by Xyloid

Stop placing an unrealistic importance on sex.

I really wish people would stop thinking sex has little importance; especially as to go so far as to suggest sleeping with some more people casually!!

It's terribly naive with respect to understanding some peoples feelings. People can get all sorts of thoughts and feelings from having slept with someone, and to think that everything's always going to be ok is what can lead to people getting hurt.
Original post by Xyloid
Go out tonight and sleep with a few more.

That's a bit sluty...
Hi just wanted to get something off my chest that's been bothering me a bit. I lost my virginity when I was 20, I'm not proud of it because I felt pressured into doing it. Then I had a boyfriend and I slept with him, but felt comfortable. After my boyfriend and I broke up, I felt lonely, so at the first opportunity, my guy friend and I hooked up and we hook up once every year, so guess Im being abstinent for 364 days of the year.

I'm ashamed I'm not a virgin anymore and Im ashamed a guy will not like me, because I'm not a virgin and I've been with 3 people.
I see my guy friend once every year, so I don't have sex regularly, it's just things like this remind me of who I've been with and I feel so ashamed and embarrassed. There are many 26 year old virgins and every day and I kick myself for not waiting.

I would love to be in a committed non-sexual relationship, but how can I be. I'm scared if a guy I fall for knows I'm not a virgin, he would see me as tainted and used, as most guys like virgins.

What should I do? :frown:

Forget about being in a relationship; focus on yourself: your studies, job etc. Accept Jesus as your Lord and saviour and you will feel comfort. Jesus can forgive you of your sins.
That's a bit sluty...

this
Reply 11
First of all this 'friend' is trying to make themselves feel better than you by continuously pointing out your mistakes. If you haven't already, definitely let them know you're not happy with that part of your past and you would like them not to bring it up.
There's nothing wrong with you not being a virgin, any man that judges you as not being 'pure' shouldn't be worth your time, plenty of men do not care whether you're a virgin or not.
Reply 12
That's a bit sluty...

Original post by ChickenMadness
this

What's wrong with that ?
Original post by Xyloid
What's wrong with that ?

Nothing. Just a lifestyle choice I don't choose or find attractive.
Reply 14
Original post by FireGarden
I really wish people would stop thinking sex has little importance; especially as to go so far as to suggest sleeping with some more people casually!!

It's terribly naive with respect to understanding some peoples feelings. People can get all sorts of thoughts and feelings from having slept with someone, and to think that everything's always going to be ok is what can lead to people getting hurt.

I'm not naive in the slightest.

I used to be exactly the same when I was younger, it dissipates with age and experience.

After you've slept with a few people you realise just how overly hyped it is when you're younger. It's not healthy and it causes a lot of misery for young people who put some magical fantasy scenario with every encounter. Sex simply is not a big deal, it's just sex. To say you wish wished you weren't a virgin is just ludicrous and shows how warped and outdated people mindsets are on sex.
Forget about being in a relationship; focus on yourself: your studies, job etc. Accept Jesus as your Lord and saviour and you will feel comfort. Jesus can forgive you of your sins.

Go away with your false promises, no one needs your doctrine of control and tyranny here.
Reply 16
Original post by ChickenMadness
Nothing. Just a lifestyle choice I don't choose or find attractive.

That works out well then because it just so happens that I couldn't care less about what you find attractive.
Original post by Xyloid
That works out well then because it just so happens that I couldn't care less about what you find attractive.

don't ask if you don't care
Original post by Xyloid
I'm not naive in the slightest.

I used to be exactly the same when I was younger, it dissipates with age and experience.

After you've slept with a few people you realise just how overly hyped it is when you're younger. It's not healthy and it causes a lot of misery for young people who put some magical fantasy scenario with every encounter. Sex simply is not a big deal, it's just sex. To say you wish wished you weren't a virgin is just ludicrous and shows how warped and outdated people mindsets are on sex.

For you, it did. This is what I meant by naive - literally the opposite happened to me. I didn't care much when I was 17, and I'm a lot different now at 24. What about all the other people that are like me?
OP

Nothing wrong with feeling bad. Someone who thinks casual sex is attractive or cool or edgy or funny or whatever might berate you for feeling bad about how your experience went. You know, beating yourself up doesn't help, but you can use this as a tourniquet so you won't do this in the future. A lot of the times people carelessly have sex and become promiscuous because they don't value love, their bodies or understand the power of sex. They are the ones you make sure you don't become. Just don't beat yourself up.

Latest

Trending

Trending