The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

College membership at Cambridge

Hi. I got a conditional offer for the M.Phil Development Studies at Cambridge, but I'm still waiting to receive the offer from the college. Is it possible to have my membership denied by all colleges? Its been a while since my status says "Seeking College membership"...
Reply 1
No, as the graduate application pages make clear you are guaranteed a college offer if a department offers you a place. You are not guaranteed a place at one of your two choices however so the delay may be due to that, as BoGS passes your application on. How long have you been waiting btw? There is very little about the Cambridge postgrad application process that is remotely speedy so your "while" may be quite normal by Cambridge standards!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Thanks a lot!! Two weeks I think, I'll keep waiting and let you know :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Magn
Thanks a lot!! Two weeks I think, I'll keep waiting and let you know :smile:

:laugh: two weeks is a mere fraction of a second in the Cam conception of time... Though given it's pretty late in the cycle hopefully it won't take a huge amount longer. But you will get a college, don't worry.
It took me around six weeks before I knew which college I got into. Furthermore you are guaranteed a place at a college in Cambridge. Which college exactly depends on so many factors but usually if by the time it gets to your fifth college and you haven't been accepted yet, the fifth college is obliged to accept you. You will be spending most of your time in the Alison Richard Building anyway as part of your course that college choice makes little difference and if you really want to you can attend formal hall at other colleges if you have friends there etc.

But usually if all the other colleges are full or oversubscribed then usually you will get passed on and end up at one of the postgrad colleges like St Edmund's, Wolfson, Clare Hall, Hughes Hall, Darwin and if you're a girl Lucy Cavendish or Newnham or even Murray Edwards.

Anywhere but Girton I say lol!

Quick Reply