Latin or Greek? Watch

Hirondelle127
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Anyone do Latin or Classical Greek?
Is it just me or is the vocab insanely difficult to learn for greek….?
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hiya, I don't know about greek , they don't offer it at my school but I'm in year 10 & I do OCR Latin. There's lots of vocab to learn- about 450 words altogether for higher tier & lots of grammar to get your head around but I find it very interesting. We do lots about Roman culture, history, mythology & as part of it you have to learn set texts by Plini. So at times it can be a bit tricky but I find it very enjoyable & rewarding
aliciaa1997
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do Latin I could have switched to Greek but I was enjoying Latin so I decided to stay with it. I think it's one of my favourite subjects. I have my most of my Latin GCSEs next week onwards and they're usually fine, and you usually get tonnes of time. I did my first Latin exam last week and I literally spent an hour daydreaming and dozing off occasionally.

There's a lot of vocab and a lot of grammar, but once I got used to it, it was fine. I pretty much know most of the words now because we've gone over them so many times. The vocab tests on the CLC website are pretty useful
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hirondelle127)
Anyone do Latin or Classical Greek?
Is it just me or is the vocab insanely difficult to learn for greek….?
I do Latin at A-level. The vocabulary is not the worst in Latin. Most of them are comprehensible and good to learn. But the difficulty in a classic language like Latin is to learn the grammar which is very different based on the exceptional cases and the fact that these grammar rules don't exist in a non-Roman language or non-classic one like English.
aliciaa1997
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh one more thing- I think prose is the hardest exam- learning the stories off by heart and the techniques as well is kind of difficult. I just write them out over and over again by memory.

Also I do sources instead of Virgil- A405 instead of A404, because we got a choice (I don't know if it's the same in other schools).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (21)
14.09%
Yes - a food allergy (14)
9.4%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (4)
2.68%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (6)
4.03%
No (104)
69.8%

Watched Threads