The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jed-Singh
Hi, anyone got a list of definitions and/or equations we need to know from memory? Thanks :smile:

amplitude always comes up! um definition of a couple, moment, hooke's law, tensile strain and stress... definitions aren't common with physics papers tbh!
Working through the Nelson Thornes AQA AS physics book I came across something that confused me. In 11.4, Q4, are you expected to simply count the squares and estimate? I may be missing something here, but in the answers they give one answer to (1d.p) which sounds unlikely that it was guess work. It is the question in which you calculate the energy stored by a rubber band when a load is taken off of it.
Reply 42
I have a question about the double slit apparatus
Are the waves emitted from the double slit IN PHASE or have a constant phase difference?
Original post by Avor
I have a question about the double slit apparatus
Are the waves emitted from the double slit IN PHASE or have a constant phase difference?

The double slits act as coherent sources, so waves have same frequency and phase difference when they pass this point. I think when it passes the double slits interference takes place, a bright fringe occurs when constructive interference takes place, where waves reinforce, therefore path difference is n*lambda, so maxima occurs. Dark fringe is when destructive interference takes place, and waves cancel, therefore path difference is (n + 0.5 ) lambda.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by aprocrastinator
For the first question, that's only AT the critical angle.

If angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle then it will be totally internally reflected and I would've thought the angle of reflection = angle of incidence!

Got it, thanks for the help!
what do you need help with?

Question 5 a and 5 c jan 12 don't get it could u upload a pik of the diagram
but in the answers they give one answer to (1d.p) which sounds unlikely that it was guess work.

Its guess work really, but in the exams they allow a nice range, but still be careful, if that question comes up i would do it at the end to spend more time on it. to make it easier calculate any triangles or trapizia etc then count all the little squares
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Why would the weight of the resultant ball be greater?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this question was answered, but I thought about it, and..
I think you are right, weight = Reaction force to gravity.

However, because the ball is has deformed, there is stored energy, Therefore when it recoils, it releases this energy doing work on the ground. This creates a resultant force upwards. Maybe :confused:.
Original post by Hellomoto.
but in the answers they give one answer to (1d.p) which sounds unlikely that it was guess work.

Its guess work really, but in the exams they allow a nice range, but still be careful, if that question comes up i would do it at the end to spend more time on it. to make it easier calculate any triangles or trapizia etc then count all the little squares

I use trapezium rule from maths for this
Could anyone help me in this question: 1biii

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA2-W-QP-JAN10.PDF

The mark scheme says air resistance acts, causing horizontal deceleration, but I was under the impression, the projectile path for horizontal component is Always constant, it was only the vertical component that gets affected due to it having acceleration due to gravity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Can anyone help with question 7aiii) in Jan 2010, it is an efficiency question I got 4% but the answer is 39-41%

DONE IT NOW DW :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Micheal123456
Question 5 a and 5 c jan 12 don't get it could u upload a pik of the diagram

both diagrams are somewhere in the textbook.

5a) has a single slit first and then a set of double slits. the single slit diffracts the light ray which covers the double slits and then light diffracts from each slit as well. They overlap on the screen and where they do Young's Fringes occur.

5c) is a very simple diagram from the mark scheme, simply a laser, diffraction grating and a screen some distance away from the grating and these things labelled. you could probably draw the order maxima too.
both diagrams are somewhere in the textbook.

5a) has a single slit first and then a set of double slits. the single slit diffracts the light ray which covers the double slits and then light diffracts from each slit as well. They overlap on the screen and where they do Young's Fringes occur.

5c) is a very simple diagram from the mark scheme, simply a laser, diffraction grating and a screen some distance away from the grating and these things labelled. you could probably draw the order maxima too.

Could u draw wht a will look like doesent make sence first ordrr?
Reply 53
Could anyone help me in this question: 1biii

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA2-W-QP-JAN10.PDF

The mark scheme says air resistance acts, causing horizontal deceleration, but I was under the impression, the projectile path for horizontal component is Always constant, it was only the vertical component that gets affected due to it having acceleration due to gravity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A constant horizontal velocity for a projectile is assuming that air resistance is negligible.

In an exam, look for statements like this: 'Explain why, in practice, the ball will not travel this far before hitting the ground.'

Because it's giving you a massive clue that air resistance is no longer negligible, since it's asking you about a real-life practice situation.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!! JAN 12 5a THE MARSK SCHEME IS NOT MAKING ANY SENCE TO ME ?? MAYBE DRAW A DIAGRAM ??
June 2012 paper - oh my god it's driving me crazy, the Q6 (a) (ii) one on describing the phase relationships between the points. I cannot for the life in me see how the first one is pi-radians out of phase and the second one is in phase. The points on that string don't look it to me. Can anyone give me a different angle on this, been staring at it for ages!!!
Original post by Micheal123456
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!! JAN 12 5a THE MARSK SCHEME IS NOT MAKING ANY SENCE TO ME ?? MAYBE DRAW A DIAGRAM ??[ /QUOTE]
Reply 57
Original post by Tryingtosucceed
June 2012 paper - oh my god it's driving me crazy, the Q6 (a) (ii) one on describing the phase relationships between the points. I cannot for the life in me see how the first one is pi-radians out of phase and the second one is in phase. The points on that string don't look it to me. Can anyone give me a different angle on this, been staring at it for ages!!!

Had trouble with that too, even pulled out a ruler. Y is dead centre and an antinode, X is not an antinode, they can't be pi out of phase. Same for the second, I have no idea what's going on with it. All the examiners report said was that most people got it wrong.
I am a bit confused with interference... When can you get fringes with white light from for example from a bulb? Can you get it with a single slit diffraction, double split and a diffraction grating? Because I thought that you would only get fringes from white light with a diffraction grating but the June 2011 paper suggests otherwise. Could someone help me out please??
Reply 59
The double slits act as coherent sources, so waves have same frequency and phase difference when they pass this point. I think when it passes the double slits interference takes place, a bright fringe occurs when constructive interference takes place, where waves reinforce, therefore path difference is n*lambda, so maxima occurs. Dark fringe is when destructive interference takes place, and waves cancel, therefore path difference is (n + 0.5 ) lambda.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So are the waves out of the double slits in phase? as in one wave out of the top slit and the wave out of the bottom - are they in phase?

Latest

Trending

Trending