The Student Room Group

AS Biology AQA unit 2

Hi everyone, I'm having a bit of trouble with AS biology, and was hoping that you'd help me out. My question is about the apoplast/symplast role. So my understanding is that the apoplast involves diffusion through the cell walls of adjacent cortex cells, whereas the symplast route involves osmosis through the plasmodesmata of adjacent cortex cells. Both of these routes occur down their water potential gradients.
I was talking with some people who do AS biology in my class - they say that the apoplast is not due to osmosis/diffusion, but instead the cohesion-tension mechanism. The AQA AS official textbook supports this - "as water is drawn into endodermal cells, it pulls more water along behind it due to the cohesive properties of water which creates a tension that draws water along the cell wall", but my other textbooks disagree.
I was wondering if you could help clarify this for me? Thanks in advance!
Original post by sbzk101
Hi everyone, I'm having a bit of trouble with AS biology, and was hoping that you'd help me out. My question is about the apoplast/symplast role. So my understanding is that the apoplast involves diffusion through the cell walls of adjacent cortex cells, whereas the symplast route involves osmosis through the plasmodesmata of adjacent cortex cells. Both of these routes occur down their water potential gradients.
I was talking with some people who do AS biology in my class - they say that the apoplast is not due to osmosis/diffusion, but instead the cohesion-tension mechanism. The AQA AS official textbook supports this - "as water is drawn into endodermal cells, it pulls more water along behind it due to the cohesive properties of water which creates a tension that draws water along the cell wall", but my other textbooks disagree.
I was wondering if you could help clarify this for me? Thanks in advance!

It appears that your own concept is correct and the one expounded on in your textbook is not quite accurate.

You should check the mark schemes and the examiners reports as well, just to be sure.
:smile:
Original post by Dynamo123
It appears that your own concept is correct and the one expounded on in your textbook is not quite accurate.

You should check the mark schemes and the examiners reports as well, just to be sure.
:smile:

Thanks! It's been confusing me for a while because I thought the cohesion-tension was to do with water movement in the xylem. Do you suppose it would be a good idea to mention it in the exam anyway to cover all bases?
Original post by sbzk101
Thanks! It's been confusing me for a while because I thought the cohesion-tension was to do with water movement in the xylem. Do you suppose it would be a good idea to mention it in the exam anyway to cover all bases?

I don't think so. Usually mark sheets are specific and do not admire it if you put in everything you know. It is best to check what they require, and then prepare according to that.
Original post by Dynamo123
I don't think so. Usually mark sheets are specific and do not admire it if you put in everything you know. It is best to check what they require, and then prepare according to that.

That specificity is quite annoying sometimes! :biggrin: But thanks for the tip

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending