The Student Room Group

F585 OCR: The Global Economy 2014

Any suggestions on possible questions for the global economy exam?

I was thinking this may be a potential question:

"Comment on the benefits of an internal devaluation of a currency compared to an external devaluation."

Possible 20 mark questions:

"Analyse the likely effects of a slowdown in the world economy on the economic performance of primary commodity exporters in SSA"

"Rising commodity prices are a double-edged sword for SSA exporters. Discuss"
what is internal devluation and how is it done? i keep getting the explanation for this mixed up as i thought its when a government uses contractionary fiscal policy to reduce AD and so unemployment increase sleading to a fall in wage pressure,and so the fall in wage pressure feeds through as lower prices to consumers as cheaper goods
Original post by Rickrossmmg
what is internal devluation and how is it done? i keep getting the explanation for this mixed up as i thought its when a government uses contractionary fiscal policy to reduce AD and so unemployment increase sleading to a fall in wage pressure,and so the fall in wage pressure feeds through as lower prices to consumers as cheaper goods

Yeah fiscal tightening, where they rise taxes and cut government spending

-Also, cut public sector wages dramatically, so that unit labour costs fall. This drives down costs, which then make exports cheaper, and so an increase in sales should occur
-Rises in VAT (3%)

These are deflationary policies so AD should decrease (cutting wages are, as it leaves people with less disposable income, although the increase in exports you would expect, should lead to a rise in AD). As they are reducing AD, this should be putting downward pressure on inflation.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest