Ukip branch chairman: 'London is being ethnically cleansed of white people'

Watch
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
A Ukip branch chairman has suggested that parts of London are being “ethnically cleansed” of white people.

Jeremy Zeid, the chairman of the Eurosceptic party’s branch in Harrow, suggested a Labour MP could be “complicit” in what he called "disappearing diversity" in Ilford, north-east London.

In a string of tweets, he wrote: “Having just been to Gerard Batten's [Ukip MEP] office in Ilford, the almost [sic] absence of white faces in Ilford is worrying.

“Mike Gapes is so busy being ‘right on’ he is either blind to or deliberately complicit in the ethnic cleansing of Ilford which I'm sure will be called 'racist'.

“A word so overused by the t***pot Left as to be completely devalued.”

The comments sparked several responses on Twitter, with many people asking what he found so “worrying”.

Mr Zeid replied: “Are you not worried when diversity disappears?”

@TootlestheTaxi @MikeGapes Having just been to Gerard Batten's office in Ilford, the alnost absence of white faces in Ilford is worrying

— Jeremy Zeid UKIP (@Zeidgeist) May 28, 2014
He failed to get elected in the Kenton East ward of Harrow in last week’s local elections, receiving four per cent of the vote.

Mr Gapes, the Labour MP for Ilford South, had previously tweeted about controversial Ukip campaign posters inferring that European migrants steal jobs, calling them “racist”.

Speaking to The Independent, he said he was copied in to a conversation on Twitter between Mr Zeid and another man.

“When I saw these tweets I was just shocked,” he added.

“My point is what is Farage going to do about it?”

Ilford, in the London Borough of Redbridge, is one of the most ethnically-diverse places in the UK.

Just over 42 per cent of residents are white and a third were born outside the UK, according to the 2011 census.

Mr Gapes said: “One of the great things about Ilford is that it’s so diverse and multicultural…this is an insult to my constituents.”

Mr Zeid has not yet responded to our requests for a comment.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-9448154.html

Classy,
viddy9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
UKIP scaremongering, yet again. Their assertions have no basis in fact: they're merely using immigrants as scapegoats.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
isn't a big chunk of london now a non-white majority area of the country, though?
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
More excuses as to why UKIP did badly in London, we've had that they are too intelligent, too well educated, too media savvy now its because they aren't white enough...

Next they'll be saying its because they prefer vats over dogs, or something similarly inane.
Hertz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The white people haven't gone anywhere. They've all just got fake tans to look a bit more Eastern. How ironic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But I thought UKIP were pro-immigration?
Tai Ga
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:facepalm2:
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am sure survivors of actual genocides and ethnic cleansings are full of sympathy for him having some brown people move next door :rollseyes:
EllieC130
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well now I'm definitely not voting.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
but I thought UKIP weren't racist?
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Meh :facepalm:
hexagonalRod
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This doesn't make sense because UKIP wants immigrants from everywhere rather than just the EU and london is has all ethnicities. London also has a bit of common sense, UKIP is for people who like anything that sounds simple.

London ftw.
MASTER265
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I thought most of London was non white anyway? He could of worded it better no doubt
TheTranshumanist
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MASTER265)
I thought most of London was non white anyway? He could of worded it better no doubt
60% of London's population is white, with 45% being white British.
MASTER265
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheTranshumanist)
60% of London is white, but 45% is white British.
Next national census watch that 60% diminish
TheTranshumanist
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Perhaps, but London is still a white majority city as of now.
kemosabe234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's been an increase in brown faces for sure, but this doesn't mean white people are being ethnically cleansed. How ridiculous of him to say so.
SatanicGecko
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am pretty sure there hasn't been any 'ethnic cleansing'; it is just an increase in the diversity of races in that area
Sarahftw_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"No wonder Ukip couldn't succeed in the capital. London is the place that Ukip warns about, the realisation of its worst nightmares. As the 2011 census revealed, white Britons are now a minority in London, accounting for only 45% of the city's population. More than 40% of Londoners were born overseas."

That's from this article from the Guardian
Unconventional.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For people going "oh but aren't there majority non-white areas in London?", erm, you've kind of missed the point about why this statement is so offensive. He likened to an 'ETHNIC CLEANSING'. I think some people need to read up about what exactly that phrase means and how it has played out historically, and then they might realise what an aboslutely disgusting, racist thing he has just said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (136)
14.36%
I'm not sure (42)
4.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (285)
30.1%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.53%
I'm not a current university student (460)
48.57%

Watched Threads