So my school does OCR B for the Physics AS/A2 exam board...

Watch this thread
AlphaMolecule
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
removed
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I do OCR A so I'm not an expert but I've heard that it's a ***** and I think there was a thread on here a while back about the hardest Physics board and OCR B won it
H0PEL3SS
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AlphaNick)
And I really want to Physics at university. Exam discussion about OCR B is really off-putting, and I am concerned about this exam board. I could go to another Sixth Form which does AQA A, but that is my backup relative to my current school which is far more convenient.

Is OCR B Physics really that bad?
Yes, it is. I love physics, and at the start of the year, I thought that physics would be the one subject I'd be sure to enjoy, but from the first lesson, the content was boring, and the textbook is a load of words and irrelevant pictures (the first page or two, to do with imaging, talks about the use of ultrasounds for pregnant women, and why X-rays aren't used, instead of saying "signals can be made into pictures" and telling us how).
The accompanying CD is also useless, as the practice questions are nothing like the exam style, there are too many pointless activities it wants you to try, which are a waste of time anyway, and they are not a substitute for good explanations and theory, of which there seems to be none whatsoever.
Also, our teachers were (mostly) crap this year too, so if you have amazing teachers who are guaranteed to be teaching you next year, there is some hope for you; if my year 10/11 teacher had been teaching us this year, it would have been a much better experience.
We were also told that there was a revision CD which was better than the one for the textbook, but we never saw it.
IMHO, go to the other sixth form to do physics if physics is your passion. A friend of mine went to another sixth form and is doing AQA physics, and he loves it, which says something, because last year, he despised all the sciences.
kodlak
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Universities really don't look at what board you did your course on, unless it's subject specific (ie. chemistry or physics) but even then only really Cambridge give a monkeys about the board. I'm doing OCR B chemistry which is notoriously the hardest chemistry course of all boards and it's a right pain due the fact I don't actually want to do chemistry.
I also do AQA A physics and can say it's pretty good coverage of everything. If you pair it with maths then you will really not be far behind at university. As for OCR B physics, I can only say from experience with the OCR B board that it will be a little more challenging which would be a good thing considering you are heading towards a university physics course.
kodlak
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AlphaNick)
But I get conflicting information. Some people say that it is challenging, others say that it is also less useful as it teaches less relevant content, etc. I will also be doing Edexcel Further Maths + Maths and AQA A Chemistry.
I gave the course a quick look over at the OCR B website
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/74952-specification.pdf
And from just a quick look I can see that It really is orientated for a degree in physics. The OCR B coursework is a full out investigation which is as close to degree level experimental physics you will get at A-level. Unlike other courses where an ISA is coursework which are a bit of a joke, they are essentially the coursework at GCSE just a little more "difficult".
From what I can see OCR B appears more skill based in it's program as in teaching experimental skills around the physics material.
From experience with AQA A, I know AQA A is a lot more fact based. For my class it was textbook, scribble, scribble then tonnes of past papers!!
Depends really the way you won't to go in the future, but I can't imagine it will be a irreversible choice that once you make your density is decided, so don't fret to much!
Andyman929
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
In my experience, having just finished the A2 OCR B exams last week, it isn't as challenging as people make out.
While it is probably more difficult in some respects, some actual understanding may be required at some points. This mostly becomes irrelevant by the time you reach exams, however, as the papers are a lot easier than you think they are going to be. The majority of questions are easy to answer, as long as you remember the formulas, most if not all of which are in the formula book anyway, and a few key words. Explanations of some more complex parts of the specification, such as quantum dynamics and strong and weak interactions with Quarks and Leptons can be covered very in depth in lessons and then have very simple questions asked about them.
The biggest difference between OCR B is the coursework, as said by kodlak. It can be a bit time consuming if you don't like writing a lot about Physics and you need to be able to research to stuff to a reasonable level. I would argue that if you want to do a degree in Physics you would benefit hugely from having some research/experimental practice.
So in my opinion, its really not worth switching schools for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (53)
69.74%
In the post (3)
3.95%
Text (10)
13.16%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
13.16%

Watched Threads