M2
M3
M4
M5
AS Stats

S1
S2
S3

Use Examsolutions or Mymaths if your school is registered.
Reply 2
I've compiled a list of resources to self-learn maths in this earlier thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=47266745#post47266745
You won't be able to do M3 onwards and FP2 without having studied C4 which means you'd need C3 too.
Reply 4
Original post by Inevitable
You won't be able to do M3 onwards and FP2 without having studied C4 which means you'd need C3 too.

I am going to learn the content of C2 and C3 but just not take the exams in the summer.
Original post by SpencerJ
I am going to learn the content of C2 and C3 but just not take the exams in the summer.

You have a list of units but you seem confused by the qualifications element

Are you doing any maths at school - are you hoping to take some exams next summer
If so, which ones

Also, which board are you using
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
You have a list of units but you seem confused by the qualifications element

Are you doing any maths at school - are you hoping to take some exams next summer
If so, which ones

Also, which board are you using

I mean C3 and C4 sorry! I am self teaching all of the units. I am going to do AQA.

If I sit next summer I will do:

C1
C2
FP1
FP2
M1
M2
M3
M4
M5
D1
I mean C3 and C4 sorry! I am self teaching all of the units. I am going to do AQA.

If I sit next summer I will do:

C1
C2
FP1
FP2
M1
M2
M3
M4
M5
D1

so that would give you AS Maths (C1, C2, and M1 or D1)

and AS FM (FP1 plus 2 others depending on your choice here)

I just wanted to be sure that you understood which qualifications you were heading for

Can I ask why you have chosen to go for those particular units rather than taking 9 that would give an A Level + an AS?

Are you in school - do you have an exams officer to advise you on entry codes etc
Reply 8
so that would give you AS Maths (C1, C2, and M1 or D1)

and AS FM (FP1 plus 2 others depending on your choice here)

I just wanted to be sure that you understood which qualifications you were heading for

Can I ask why you have chosen to go for those particular units rather than taking 9 that would give an A Level + an AS?

Are you in school - do you have an exams officer to advise you on entry codes etc

I could do 2 A Levels Maths and FM.

I will do the following units for Maths:
C1
C2
D1
C3
C4
D2

FM:

FP1
M1
M2
FP2
FP3
FP4
M3

The exam officer at the center told me just to list the units I want to do and the what it is like Maths and Further Maths ect
(edited 9 years ago)
I could do 2 A Levels Maths and FM.

I will do the following units for Maths:
C1
C2
D1
C3
C4
D2

FM:

FP1
M1
M2
FP2
FP3
FP4
M3

The exam officer at the center told me just to list the units I want to do and the what it is like Maths and Further Maths ect

Those units make a lot more sense than the original list

Are you expecting to take 1 or 2 years

Are you only doing maths
Reply 10
Those units make a lot more sense than the original list

Are you expecting to take 1 or 2 years

Are you only doing maths

I am going to do A Level Maths in 1 Year with AS Further Maths and then the following year do A Level Further Maths.

In college I will be doing Chem, Physics and Sociology.
Reply 11
I am going to do A Level Maths in 1 Year with AS Further Maths and then the following year do A Level Further Maths.

How confident are you with the workload given that you're doing Maths without any college support, plus you have 3 other A levels to cover?

Most people will do 6 modules in the first year and 6 in the second, and that's with the support of their teachers / schools (depending on how the school organizes things they will either do full A2 maths in 1st year and full A2 FM in the 2nd; or AS Maths and AS FM in the 1st year, followed by 2 lots of 3 modules in the 2nd year to make up the full A2 qualifications for Maths and FM, but regardless the students still have the same sort of workload!)

I am going to echo what Davros as said

Why are you doing Maths alone and why do you need/wish to do so much maths
Reply 13
Original post by davros
How confident are you with the workload given that you're doing Maths without any college support, plus you have 3 other A levels to cover?

Most people will do 6 modules in the first year and 6 in the second, and that's with the support of their teachers / schools (depending on how the school organizes things they will either do full A2 maths in 1st year and full A2 FM in the 2nd; or AS Maths and AS FM in the 1st year, followed by 2 lots of 3 modules in the 2nd year to make up the full A2 qualifications for Maths and FM, but regardless the students still have the same sort of workload!)

I am going to echo what Davros as said

Why are you doing Maths alone and why do you need/wish to do so much maths

I am okay with the workload. I am very organized and I do study. I want to become an Engineer and I have been told that Maths and FM are essential. I also love maths!
Reply 14
I am okay with the workload. I am very organized and I do study. I want to become an Engineer and I have been told that Maths and FM are essential. I also love maths!

Maths and FM are certainly the most important subjects. So why aren't you doing them in school instead of Sociology?

Also, I would drop D1 and D2 from your first year plans and do M1 and M2 instead. These will give you a good taste of the sort of mechanical problems you will need to solve in the future, and if you enjoy them (which you should) you can consider M3, M4 and M5 in your 2nd year :smile:

Once again, I am going to echo Davros

Why are you doing sociology
Why are you not doing Maths (and FM) at school
Reply 16
Original post by davros
Maths and FM are certainly the most important subjects. So why aren't you doing them in school instead of Sociology?

Also, I would drop D1 and D2 from your first year plans and do M1 and M2 instead. These will give you a good taste of the sort of mechanical problems you will need to solve in the future, and if you enjoy them (which you should) you can consider M3, M4 and M5 in your 2nd year :smile:

Once again, I am going to echo Davros

Why are you doing sociology
Why are you not doing Maths (and FM) at school

I could not do Maths at school as it overlaps with my Chemistry. Its a sixth form attached to a high school so only 1 Maths class. They don't do FM as well as only 1 teacher can teach it and he wont or something along them lines I have been told. Sociology was just an option to pick.
Reply 17
I could not do Maths at school as it overlaps with my Chemistry. Its a sixth form attached to a high school so only 1 Maths class. They don't do FM as well as only 1 teacher can teach it and he wont or something along them lines I have been told. Sociology was just an option to pick.

That's bizarre - Maths and Chemistry must be an extremely common subject combination! So all the people at your sixth form who take Chemistry can't do Maths in school as well???
Reply 18
Original post by davros
That's bizarre - Maths and Chemistry must be an extremely common subject combination! So all the people at your sixth form who take Chemistry can't do Maths in school as well???

No there is 2 chemistry classes but when the timetable is worked out the other class can as it's on diffrent days. The only unit that I could go into would be Stats as the Core classes are on at the time of my chem classes.
Well I do/did Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology (AS), Further Maths (AS) at college and Biology (A2) with a teacher's help and I self studied AFM (AS & A2) and Further Maths (A2) with the edexcel textbooks.

If you're able to understand maths straight from the textbook and if you're disciplined enough with a strict time table you could self study the maths easily. IMO its more efficient and is actually better than being taught (I do much better in the modules I taught myself).

If you wanna do engineering sociology is kinda unrelated (and isn't it adding unnecessary to the workload?). If you're interested in it its okay, but it could become like what biology became for me - a burden that you just have to complete.

Its weird that chemistry classes clash with maths. Surely they should do something about it - are you the only one with this problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest