The Student Room Group

Easy Way To remember E-Z isomerism

I keep getting mixed up whether when both of the highest priority groups are above the double bond whether its Z or E, I know its Z but keep getting mixed up.

Is there any acronym or something out there that'll help me remember? :smile:
Zame side (same side)?
Reply 2
Original post by jack97
I keep getting mixed up whether when both of the highest priority groups are above the double bond whether its Z or E, I know its Z but keep getting mixed up.

I have a specific way of remembering it - I think of the letter Z and it looks like it should be 'opposite' i.e. one above and one below the double bond, because of the diagonal line. But really it is 'together.' So I just remember it as it's the opposite to what I think it is. :tongue:

It works for me, but it might only work for me! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Z iz ze zame
Original post by jack97

We learnt that the z stands for zusammen in german, which means together in english. So the groups are together (ie both are on the same side of the C=C bond)!
Reply 5
Original post by Bridget Jones
We learnt that the z stands for zusammen in german, which means together in english. So the groups are together (ie both are on the same side of the C=C bond)!

yeh that's what we learnt, but I guess im not very good at remembering german !

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Zame side (same side)?

Thanks ! I'll never ever forget now :smile:
I always remembered it by thinking they are trying to trick you: E has all the lines on same side so they want you to think its same side and Z has lines on opposite sides so they want you to think its on opposite side. But since they arto trick you, you go with what they dont want you to think so E is opposite and Z is same.
Not sure if this works for you but thats how I always remembered it.
Original post by jack97
yeh that's what we learnt, but I guess im not very good at remembering german !

Thanks ! I'll never ever forget now :smile:

Woo :biggrin:
Reply 8
Z. Zis isomerism. Zame zide.

Just remember this and you can remember the other one, which is just E. Trans isomerism. Opposite side.
I usually remember that (if you ignore hydrogen), Z isomers are the ones that look nothing like Zs (and Es are the ones that do).

I'm weird though :colonhash:
Original post by Lucy_95
I have a specific way of remembering it - I think of the letter Z and it looks like it should be 'opposite' i.e. one above and one below the double bond, because of the diagonal line. But really it is 'together.' So I just remember it as it's the opposite to what I think it is. :tongue:

It works for me, but it might only work for me! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is how I remembered it last year! :biggrin:
Z for Zusammen

Ze Zame side

EDIT : ah damn it's already been mentioned above! haha
E - Enemies; opposite sides.
E is for Eppezet, (opposite),
Z is for Zame, (same),
Original post by MangoFreak
I usually remember that (if you ignore hydrogen), Z isomers are the ones that look nothing like Zs (and Es are the ones that do).

I'm weird though :colonhash:

you're not weird, that's how I remember it too haha

Quick Reply

Latest