Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if Jonathan is a Jewish name?
    I knew someone named Jonathan and he was Jewish. Obviously 1 person is not the majority, but i was thinking if its in fact a Jewish name.
    I know it has a Hebrew origin but most biblical names are of "hebrew" origin, but not particularly jewish.

just curious!

ReputationRep:
    ya

ReputationRep:
    I reckon the majority of Jonathans are Jewish but not all of them. It's not a name exclusive to Jews really; a bit like David, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In Love)
    I was wondering if Jonathan is a Jewish name?
    I knew someone named Jonathan and he was Jewish. Obviously 1 person is not the majority, but i was thinking if its in fact a Jewish name.
    I know it has a Hebrew origin but most biblical names are of "hebrew" origin, but not particularly jewish.

just curious!
    Not really. It's a very popular Christian name as well.

ReputationRep:
    I know a couple of Jonathans and they're not jewish.

ReputationRep:
    Its not a strictly Jewish name, obviously, but it does come from Hebrew I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    I reckon the majority of Jonathans are Jewish but not all of them. It's not a name exclusive to Jews really; a bit like David, I guess.
    It might be a majority worldwide, but in Britain I wouldn't think of Jonathan or David as particularly Jewish names. I know tons of Jonathons and Davids (very popular names for people of my age where I live, and I'm a David myself), and I don't think any of them are Jewish.

I should imagine Jonathon probably is from Hebrew. A lot of popular names are; me and my brother (Matthew) both have names that are Hebrew in origin despite an entirely unreligious family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    It might be a majority worldwide, but in Britain I wouldn't think of Jonathan or David as particularly Jewish names. I know tons of Jonathons and Davids (very popular names for people of my age where I live, and I'm a David myself), and I don't think any of them are Jewish.

I should imagine Jonathon probably is from Hebrew. A lot of popular names are; me and my brother (Matthew) both have names that are Hebrew in origin despite an entirely unreligious family.
    Or maybe I should have said quite a lot of Jewish males are called Jonathan. But you're right, it's not particularly Jewish but a lot of Jews are called it. The Hebrew is Yonatan.

ReputationRep:
    My name is Jonathan and i'm jewish
    In my class there are like 5 Jonathans - in a jewish school...
    It is tru though that there are loads of non-jewish Jonathans...

ReputationRep:
    from www.behindthename.com:

"From the Hebrew name יְהוֹנָתָן (Yehonatan) (contracted to יוֹנָתָן (Yonatan)) meaning "YAHWEH has given". In the Old Testament Jonathan was the eldest son of Saul and a friend of David. He was killed in battle with the Philistines. A famous bearer of this name was Jonathan Swift, the satirist who wrote 'Gulliver's Travels' and other works."

ReputationRep:
    In wikipedia it says

Jonathan (יְהוֹנָתָן / יוֹנָתָן "Whom the Lord gave", Standard Hebrew Yonatan/Yəhonatan, Tiberian Hebrew Yəhônāṯān) was a prince of the Kingdom of Israel, son of King Saul, and beloved of the subsequent King David (see David and Jonathan).

ReputationRep:
    David is an very popular name for Jews and non Jews- it means "beloved" in Hebrew.

ReputationRep:
    Any name in the Old Testament is going to be common for Jewish and Christian people - David, Jacob, Jonathan, Samuel, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Cain and Abel are very popular names in my hometown. Stupid bogans.

ReputationRep:
    So is the name 'Jeffrey' like David and Jonathan : not necessarily a jewish name but mostly used my Jews?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.