The Student Room Group

Media Studies Unit 1 GCSE AQA Prelim Material

Scroll to see replies

I got 82/90 in the coursework, how many marks do you think I'll need in the exam to get an A*?

Plus, my enigma code for The Detectives is 'stop the kidnapping', do you think this would hook in the target audience through the hypodermic needle theory?

Thanks!

P.S. Is there any stigma with writing solely in note form? I feel that that's the only way to fit everything in because of the time constraints..
Reply 61
Original post by DanMargetts
I got 82/90 in the coursework, how many marks do you think I'll need in the exam to get an A*?

Plus, my enigma code for The Detectives is 'stop the kidnapping', do you think this would hook in the target audience through the hypodermic needle theory?

Thanks!

P.S. Is there any stigma with writing solely in note form? I feel that that's the only way to fit everything in because of the time constraints..

You might be lucky! I think it was 85/90 last year, but I may be wrong! You may scrape the A* though I know it has been 82 in the past :smile:
Can somebody tell me what to include in the storyboard for the TV ad- do you have to colour it in?! Also how do you make a marketing campaign?
Much appreciated.
Reply 63
Original post by ZEDDER1297
Can somebody tell me what to include in the storyboard for the TV ad- do you have to colour it in?! Also how do you make a marketing campaign?
Much appreciated.

The storyboard- okay so you can colour it if you want (and have time) but otherwise just write 'red' or whatever colour! And basically there will be like 8 boxes and you gotta do it like a trailer on the tv- so draw pics that clearly show the genre of the game and show the Pegi age on there and perhaps links to Facebook and review and writing that will make the audience want to play the game! :smile:
Marketing campaign is just explaining how you will use techniques to promote your game and get people to buy it- pandorax posted notes on it, many thanks pandorax
Original post by ElleseG
The storyboard- okay so you can colour it if you want (and have time) but otherwise just write 'red' or whatever colour! And basically there will be like 8 boxes and you gotta do it like a trailer on the tv- so draw pics that clearly show the genre of the game and show the Pegi age on there and perhaps links to Facebook and review and writing that will make the audience want to play the game! :smile:
Marketing campaign is just explaining how you will use techniques to promote your game and get people to buy it- pandorax posted notes on it, many thanks pandorax

Many thanks! I am indebted to you, I hope you find that the exam is an unchallenging impediment to pass.:smile:
Reply 65
Original post by ZEDDER1297
Many thanks! I am indebted to you, I hope you find that the exam is an unchallenging impediment to pass.:smile:

No problem :smile: you'll do fine I'm sure!
okay, so for someone who hates media, the teacher was off most of the year so we had a useless supply for 6 months. What are the basis outline for the 4 questions? Also, I have the brief, I think I'm going to be doing the dance game and my unique selling point is going to be you can open packs + have micro-transactions to esentially buy and build your own dance team to face up against other teams online. AND how would I like answer the 4 questions, like what to write about or is it explained in the question really?
Original post by Fra4ser
Anyone else doing The Detectives, what are some of your ideas for it and what are you going to write about in the exam. I've hardly been taught anything, please help.

I am doing the detectives and i have designed each character to appeal to at least one member of the family, not necessarily making them stereotypical but definitely a character to aspire to making them a role model. i'm also trying to avoid the stereotypical 'seeing women as objects' pathway as the game is targeted at a family audience. i have also come up with an object to be sold as merchandise which each character uses in the game (a laser watch for example which would be easily replicated but with just an led) Doing this will target the younger audience. Im rating it a soft 12 because a there isn't enough leeway in a 7 but check out the pegi rating website if you want more info. One of your usp (unique selling point) could be that the children get to see themselves on the t.v which as a child is a stereotypical dream.
for your storyboard i suggest something like the family getting the game in the post and all enjoying the game encouraging everyone to participate and for the typography on the packaging i am using a san serif font (just plain) similar to those on sherlock and elementary because they are well known shows and the subconscious link will be made. i hope this helps
Reply 68
So has everyone already designed a poster and a storyboard for a tralier? Also after drawing the story board, do we explain whats happening in each scene underneath, or do we just label things on the storyboard?
Original post by peachfoo
So has everyone already designed a poster and a storyboard for a tralier? Also after drawing the story board, do we explain whats happening in each scene underneath, or do we just label things on the storyboard?

I'd refer to any sound you'd have, i.e. police sirens, wind blowing, Benedict Cumberbatch doing a voice over or something.. Also, you can refer to camera angles and movements (try and be really quirky and don't just use medium + long shots) and I'm sure you can mention what is going on if the picture drawn doesn't display it immediately!
Reply 70
Would we be allowed to use felt tip pens in the storyboard/poster etc?
ANYONE STRUGGLING WITH FINDING TWO MARKETING CAMPAIGNS TYPE IN 'Skyrim Marketing Campaign' and this person called Laura has devised everything on the marketing campaigns on skyrim and the last of us. OMG, it's amazing.
What are everyone's predictions and good luck for tomorrow. :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by Cyberdragon
Anyone know how to create a website?(seriously confused)

You won't need to create a website for the exam, if it comes up you will most likely need to design a homepage, so make sure to include stereotypical website things such as a search bar, news etc.
It is most likely a tv advert storyboard will come up though based on the prelim
Can someone tell me the theories I need to know for the exam
Reply 75
Original post by chappedlips
I am doing the detectives and i have designed each character to appeal to at least one member of the family, not necessarily making them stereotypical but definitely a character to aspire to making them a role model. i'm also trying to avoid the stereotypical 'seeing women as objects' pathway as the game is targeted at a family audience. i have also come up with an object to be sold as merchandise which each character uses in the game (a laser watch for example which would be easily replicated but with just an led) Doing this will target the younger audience. Im rating it a soft 12 because a there isn't enough leeway in a 7 but check out the pegi rating website if you want more info. One of your usp (unique selling point) could be that the children get to see themselves on the t.v which as a child is a stereotypical dream.
for your storyboard i suggest something like the family getting the game in the post and all enjoying the game encouraging everyone to participate and for the typography on the packaging i am using a san serif font (just plain) similar to those on sherlock and elementary because they are well known shows and the subconscious link will be made. i hope this helps

Thanks, it has gave me a few more ideas. I thought of giving each character a different role in the game, for example, Investigator, Scout, etc. to give the game a education role making it more suited to families. I think you're idea for the USP is a good one and i will mix that in somewhere. I think i am mostly fine with the gameplay aspect its how i can make it more appealed to children as im more of a person who prefers games where i can shoot, etc. But thank you, it helped :smile:
Reply 76
PREDICTED QUESTIONS:

1) Television campaign, so this will be about a TV advert
2) A marketing campaign for your game (Is most likely going to focus on e-media and social networking, it is likely going to ask you based on your research of two marketing campaigns (two games), what marketing campaign would you chose to bring the most success?)
3) Positive effects on health
4)Promote your game to generate buzz and anticipation (focus on pre-release campaigns) based on existing campaigns
-USP and how this reaches the family audience and unites a family audience of dance floor
Why does everyone think there will be a question about health? If there is what would you write about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I think there will be a question on game consoles vs online games

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Hows everyone finding timing? I'm not going to be able to do a complete storyboard in around 20 minutes :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending