Tcool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Of course I know they matter but a lot of people say as long as you meet the entry requirements for college/sixth form then it's a levels that matter and not so much GCSE's? Many say only redbrick universities really look at your GCSE's. What do you think?
JAIYEKO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tcool)
Of course I know they matter but a lot of people say as long as you meet the entry requirements for college/sixth form then it's a levels that matter and not so much GCSE's? Many say only redbrick universities really look at your GCSE's. What do you think?
No it's not important compared to A2/AS. If you're not going to Oxbridge, you'll only need to have an A*/A in the subject you're studying at least.
christopher23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
UCL wanted B's in Maths and English from me at GCSE, and im sure employers still ask so yeah I guess they are important.

I spent a lot of time revising for them and Id be pissed if someone told me that they arent important.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tcool)
A Levels are undoubtedly more important and your AS grades will have a much bigger gravity than your GCSE grades in any admissions process. The most important thing is that you fulfill the GCSE requirements. However, it would be a lie to say that GCSE grades are unimportant. Especially with more competitive universities, most of the applicants are going to have essentially the same or similar AS grades so GCSEs do provide a good degree of differentiation between candidates. Additionally, good GCSEs increase your likelihood of getting into year 12 summer schools and enrichment opportunities.
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As long as you get Bs in maths and English they're pretty much ignored.
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
A Levels are undoubtedly more important and your AS grades will have a much bigger gravity than your GCSE grades in any admissions process. The most important thing is that you fulfill the GCSE requirements. However, it would be a lie to say that GCSE grades are unimportant. Especially with more competitive universities, most of the applicants are going to have essentially the same or similar AS grades so GCSEs do provide a good degree of differentiation between candidates. Additionally, good GCSEs increase your likelihood of getting into year 12 summer schools and enrichment opportunities.
aaaa what if you want to get into medicine ? :3
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Angelo12231)
Firstly, the OP didn't say she wanted to go into Medicine. Secondly, AS grades are still more important. GCSE grades are obviously a lot more important for Medicine than in another subject, but a Medical school is nevertheless more likely to be prepared to overlook sub-par GCSE grades than AS grades.
Tcool
Rep:
?
Good point- in that case GCSE's are vital
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Firstly, the OP didn't say she wanted to go into Medicine. Secondly, AS grades are still more important. GCSE grades are obviously a lot more important for Medicine than in another subject, but a Medical school is nevertheless more likely to be prepared to overlook sub-par GCSE grades than AS grades.
no no i was asking for me not the OP... and holy crap im screwed then :O
I think i genuinly will get about 2 A*s 8 As and 1 B... compared to people wanting medicine and getting 239597 A*'s, thats pretty bad... BUT, do you think this will be good enough :
AAAA in A levels of course
2 weeks surgery and 3 months volunteering in British heart foundation
Also have a blog based solely on medicine, i post every day if you want to check it out
few awards such as Crest award etc etc
yet to do BMAT and UKCAT though
theapexpredator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think i genuinly will get about 2 A*s 8 As and 1 B... compared to people wanting medicine and getting 239597 A*'s, thats pretty bad... BUT, do you think this will be good enough :
Also have a blog based solely on medicine, i post every day if you want to check it out
not good enough
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by theapexpredator)
not good enough
LOL justify please
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, those results will be on the low side but it won't prevent you from going into medicine. There are Unis that care particularly about GCSE results and those that don't, so obviously you'd target those that care more about BMAT/UKCAT (which you would obviously have to ace).
theapexpredator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LOL justify please
you said you were screwed, by echoing your sentiment i'm merely helping you to realise that what you have is great haha
some people i know would even aspire to be in the position that you declare yourself to be in

edit: not good enough for med at oxford though
Dani California
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, mine were a total waste of time. Nailed them, started A-levels and forgot about them. Get an A/B in English and maths and you're pretty much sorted.
Magistl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A solid collection of GCSE grades are the first few stepping stones to success. Universities use GCSE grades to determine the individuals ability to work across a wide range of disciplines. In actuality, they're usually used to determine an applicant if their results intertwine with another's.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Other than needing A*/A's to get into the maybe the top 5 universities, Bs/Cs should suffice with everyone else unless specific grades are stated on requirements. Not nearly as much weighting is put on your GCSEs in comparison to A-levels.
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, those results will be on the low side but it won't prevent you from going into medicine. There are Unis that care particularly about GCSE results and those that don't, so obviously you'd target those that care more about BMAT/UKCAT (which you would obviously have to ace).
i see, yeah i aim to apply strategically... and umm i dont know... im not very good at amplitude tests but its fair so say i would probably get 715-720 having done the mock test for UKCAT... above 700 enough?
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by theapexpredator)
you said you were screwed, by echoing your sentiment i'm merely helping you to realise that what you have is great haha
some people i know would even aspire to be in the position that you declare yourself to be in

edit: not good enough for med at oxford though
well i wont be wasting a choice on oxbridge... lol
Anjum - Yasmin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Important enough to have gone to school for, not enough to get me through life. #GCSEs #yesiknowthisisnottwitter
Tcool
Rep:
?
Just try your hardest, I know a girl in Cambridge who got 6 A*'s at GCSE whose doing medicine. That may seem like a lot but compared to everyone else at Cambridge studying medicine who got like 13 A*'s thats not that high. She said that even though GCSE's are important there not as important because if you do really well in your A levels you'll be fine. Also further advice would be make yourself different from other candidates, more or less everyone who wants the same as you will have similar grades so make sure you out shine them for example do the Duke of Edinbugrh award and things like that and make sure you get a lot of work experience Good luck, I hope you get the grades you need
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads