Shahriar13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Is AS chemistry tough? And what chapters should I keep an eye out for?
username1389289
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, yes it is!

I did triple science at GCSE so studied chemistry alone (putting me in a better position this year) and comfortably got an a* with full marks in two of my exams but it is still very difficult. It is by far the most work of any of my subjects and whilst it is really interesting some of it takes a lot of extra work to get your head around.

If you're going to take it make sure you enjoy it and it isn't a place filler because you'll hate it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
bookworm246love
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Shahriar13)
well at GCSE i really enjoyed chemistry and in the end I got a A in core and B in additional. i really wanted to take chemistry at a-level but my teacher said that i wasn't good enough and i also attended a taster lesson, which was very interesting but i think that it would be quite hard so if you do chose to do it i would say to revise over the summer and to research on some of the topics

Posted from TSR Mobile
78Saab
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Shahriar13)
To be honest I think it depends on the exam board, I hear OCR is the most difficult. I got an A at GCSE and I'm doing AQA AS Chemistry and I think it's not very hard as long as you keep up with the workload. The only chapter I struggled a bit on was Redox Reactions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Chemistry is the AS I find by a mile the most difficult, out of Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. Don't get me wrong, I really love it, but I think conceptually it's a lot more difficult than the others. It's a massive step up from GCSE. I personally find the halogens chapter the most irritating, not because of the content but because of the exam questions.
BlackLipBastard
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Chemistry AS is probably the easiest out of the 3 sciences.
username1389289
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BlackLip*******)
Chemistry AS is probably the easiest out of the 3 sciences.
Are you joking!? I do biology as well and it's like easily half the difficulty of OCR chem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Solarburst
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OCR B salters, easiest subject I do tbh
kodlak
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mattmejevie)
OCR B salters, easiest subject I do tbh
Err dude have you done F336 coursework, it's a right pain, took me ages. Plus all the questions in the papers are completely deceiving, OCR B is notoriously hard!
Solarburst
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kodlak)
Err dude have you done F336 coursework, it's a right pain, took me ages. Plus all the questions in the papers are completely deceiving, OCR B is notoriously hard!
OP asking about AS chemistry, I appreciate it gets harder at A2 but that's not the question the OP asked
Shahriar13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Can we please get back to the initial topic? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlackLipBastard
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Treeniebop)
Are you joking!? I do biology as well and it's like easily half the difficulty of OCR chem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do bio as well, for chemistry the concepts at AS are all simple, so once you understand the concept of 1 topic you can basically do any question related to that topic
username1389289
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do bio as well, for chemistry the concepts at AS are all simple, so once you understand the concept of 1 topic you can basically do any question related to that topic
Well for my exam board the exam q's are really specific, like you have to learn sections of mark scheme. Bio is just learning processes, chemistry is all about application and reading into the question. Getting the marks in the exam requires a lot more than just understanding the concepts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
haslam22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OCR A Chemistry is actually really tough (maybe even the hardest?) but it's all possible as long as you put in the work/effort. It requires more understanding, practise and application rather than just memorising blocks of text (like some of my other subjects). It depends somewhat on your exam board though, so who knows
cerlohee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do edexcel chemistry and it is really hard at first to know what the examiners looking for plus there're quite a few tricky concepts that you need to grasp.
With that said, it's also incredibly interesting and if you put in the work during the year, do the past papers and read the examiners reports, you could get a good grade in it.
You seem to enjoy chemistry and that will probably help during the more laborious topics!
Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlackLipBastard
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Treeniebop)
Well for my exam board the exam q's are really specific, like you have to learn sections of mark scheme. Bio is just learning processes, chemistry is all about application and reading into the question. Getting the marks in the exam requires a lot more than just understanding the concepts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, for things like radical substitution, electrophilic addition etc... the answers are always the same except for the molecules used. You somewhat don't even need to understand the concept, just need to memorise how to these and apply it to the questions
username1389289
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope, for things like radical substitution, electrophilic addition etc... the answers are always the same except for the molecules used. You somewhat don't even need to understand the concept, just need to memorise how to these and apply it to the questions
But it's the memorising which is much harder. If yo understand a concept then you can apply it to any situation, if you've learnt a mark scheme and they ask about it in a slightly different way then your stuck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads