The Student Room Group

Retaking first year of A levels

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with this dilemma
I currently go to Sixthform which is really strict and I feel I have chosen some of the wrong A levels and due to family circumstances I don't think I have done as well as I could have in these A levels. I currently take Biology, History, Economics, and Psychology but I want to retake my AS levels but I want to drop Biology and History and take Computing instead. Does anyone have any tips on which colleges do these courses and will take me as a retake student? I've currently been looking at Richmond College which do all these subjects but not sure if they will allow me to retake. Any help?
I was in the same situation, I went to Sixth Form and did badly, so I dropped out and went to college to re-take. Despite them having doubts that I would do well there, I pleaded with them and ended up doing extremely well and going to University - just finished my freshers' year.

Just explain to them that you had circumstances which meant it was difficult for you to succeed. The extra year can be quite beneficial.
Reply 2
just explain your situation. I messed up first year. i changed a subject and now hoping to go university this year.

i think this 3rd year has benefitted me a lot.
I failed my first year at richmond college, and then went to Kingston, persuaded them to give me a second chance. I got three B's last year, predicted ABB this year, so has long as you put your heart into you will do well, plus you will have extra motivation for passing has you failed the first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
This is the college that I attend. I prefer college to sixth form because it's less strict, but RUTC are making a lot of budget cuts e.g right now there's 6 Biology classes, but next year there's only going to be 2 classes for A2, and only 2 Biology teachers. More money goes towards BTECs nowadays.
Anyway you should apply online as early as you can and you should be allowed to retake, however, there's been lots of rumours about the college closing down etc but no one really knows.
I would say it's a decent college though. Avoid Kingston college definitely. I went for an interview and asked if they offer French, and the woman said "no but you can do media studies" ???????????????
I know people who do computing at college, not sure how they find it but there's a whole building for it.
Reply 5
Original post by Petulia
This is the college that I attend. I prefer college to sixth form because it's less strict, but RUTC are making a lot of budget cuts e.g right now there's 6 Biology classes, but next year there's only going to be 2 classes for A2, and only 2 Biology teachers. More money goes towards BTECs nowadays.
Anyway you should apply online as early as you can and you should be allowed to retake, however, there's been lots of rumours about the college closing down etc but no one really knows.
I would say it's a decent college though. Avoid Kingston college definitely. I went for an interview and asked if they offer French, and the woman said "no but you can do media studies" ???????????????
I know people who do computing at college, not sure how they find it but there's a whole building for it.

Ahh thank you are there any people currently in lower sixth retaking the first year? I really hope they do let me in and should I apply now or after results? I mean I am pretty sure I have done badly this year but on the application they ask for reference of your previous school, I'm not sure I can just give the reference of the sixth form I'm at currently without notice can I??
Reply 6
Original post by bhavneetkaur
Ahh thank you are there any people currently in lower sixth retaking the first year? I really hope they do let me in and should I apply now or after results? I mean I am pretty sure I have done badly this year but on the application they ask for reference of your previous school, I'm not sure I can just give the reference of the sixth form I'm at currently without notice can I??

I know lots of people who are retaking the year, it's a lot more common in college so you won't be the only one. I don't recall them asking for a teacher reference when I applied - are you applying online? Call them up (they're open during half term) and just ask how you should go about applying. Try to apply before results because I remember I applied in January during Year 11, then I changed my mind, but then on results day I changed my mind again and wanted to go to college, and they were accepting last minute applicants on enrolment day but a lot of classes were completely full and I literally had to beg two teachers interviewing me to squeeze me into one of the smaller Biology classes.
So, just don't leave it to the last minute really.
I resat the year because exactly like you I choose the wrong subject. I go to a prty strict grammar school. But they let three of us to re do the year. Honestly was the best decision I ever made :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest