(Original post by donutellme)
Thread for discussing about various martial arts and combat techniques

Quote me along with the styles you know or want to learn and I'll add them here

Spoiler:
Show

donutellme
- Goju Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Taekwondo, Muay Thai
- Want to learn Krav Maga and Jeet Kune Do

I am quite surprised that there are people out there who knew Goju ryu style. Frankly speaking, its not a popular karate style in western world (due to being excessively focused on less guarded kumite). Shokotan is more popular style but I thinks its more of a sports karate compared to other style (plus arguably its not an original version). I heard Jeet Kune Do is hard to learn if you already mastered other forms of martial art but I am not quite sure.
donutellme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by wizard101)
I am quite surprised that there are people out there who knew Goju ryu style. Frankly speaking, its not a popular karate style in western world (due to being excessively focused on less guarded kumite). Shokotan is more popular style but I thinks its more of a sports karate compared to other style (plus arguably its not an original version). I heard Jeet Kune Do is hard to learn if you already mastered other forms of martial art but I am not quite sure.
Well, I wouldn't say I'm a 'master', but I've been doing it for several years now and I love it! The great thing about it are the practical techniques taught. My instructor focuses much more on real life defence than on kata as some other dojos, which is good in my opinion.

What's your style?
GuanyinBuddha
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, I wouldn't say I'm a 'master', but I've been doing it for several years now and I love it! The great thing about it are the practical techniques taught. My instructor focuses much more on real life defence than on kata as some other dojos, which is good in my opinion.

What's your style?
Hello, I wish you happiness and well-being.

I know only Muay Thai, it is against my club's rule to practise other martial arts when under instruction from Kru. I have missed my gradings twice so I can hone the basics of Thai boxing, I am somewhat experienced with the basics. This year and onwards I will practise intermediate level skills.
I would like to learn Aikido and Shaolin to exceed beyond my current limitations!
wizard101
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

What's your style?
Senior shodan in Goju ryu karate. Frustratingly enough I cant proceed above shodan level because I am still under 18 . I do want to learn mixed martial art but quite unsure yet.
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GuanyinBuddha)

I would like to learn Aikido and Shaolin to exceed beyond my current limitations!
I personally prefer the less popular hapkido to aikido, it seems very similar but more aggressive, diverse and doesn't rely on waiting for your opponent as much. Admittedly, I have done neither though.
donutellme
Rep:
?
Senior shodan in Goju ryu karate. Frustratingly enough I cant proceed above shodan level because I am still under 18 . I do want to learn mixed martial art but quite unsure yet.
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm 17 at the moment, but my Sensei gives me a 'mock' gradings if you will, so hopefully I'll be getting 2nd Dan next year
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Keysi Fighting Method
Bartitsu
wizard101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm 17 at the moment, but my Sensei gives me a 'mock' gradings if you will, so hopefully I'll be getting 2nd Dan next year
Thats good but for some reason you will likely to be bored at it at some point and then move on to something else. Most people just stop at the 1st Dan and move on to do other martial arts. Not many want to continue their current martial art because they would like to explore other techniques as well. I am pretty much going to do the same but undecided on which one. Might start it at uni.
donutellme
Rep:
?
Thats good but for some reason you will likely to be bored at it at some point and then move on to something else. Most people just stop at the 1st Dan and move on to do other martial arts. Not many want to continue their current martial art because they would like to explore other techniques as well. I am pretty much going to do the same but undecided on which one. Might start it at uni.
I'm thinking of stopping after 2nd Dan. I'll be leaving for University and won't be able to stay at the same club, so might as well
wizard101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Keysi Fighting Method
Bartitsu
And there we have someone with two crazily awesome martial arts combo. I'm quite unfamiliar with Keysi fighting methods but heard it was awesome.
donutellme
Rep:
?
Keysi Fighting Method
Bartitsu
Do you do both, or practice Keysi and want to learn Bartitsu?
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you do both, or practice Keysi and want to learn Bartitsu?
I wish
Just a dreamer here but I'd love to learn these two
donutellme
Rep:
?
I wish
Just a dreamer here but I'd love to learn these two
Ahaha, you should look for some clubs for Keysi. Not sure who teaches Bartitsu though...

Any chance you've read Sherlock Holmes?
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ahaha, you should look for some clubs for Keysi. Not sure who teaches Bartitsu though...

Any chance you've read Sherlock Holmes?

I may look into it during the summer.

Yep
Shodann
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I started Shotokan karate last september and I enjoy it, its my first martial art and i'll be grading in june/july for my yellow belt; after that I'll soon start uni and I'm not sure what to do when moving. I could join a random karate club I've seen online in the same city as my new uni, or there is a jiu jitsu society I was thinking of trying aswell

Will stick with Shotokan till I'm a black belt though as there's alot of clubs around all over the place whether it's during or after uni.
donutellme
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shodann)
I started Shotokan karate last september and I enjoy it, its my first martial art and i'll be grading in june/july for my yellow belt; after that I'll soon start uni and I'm not sure what to do when moving. I could join a random karate club I've seen online in the same city as my new uni, or there is a jiu jitsu society I was thinking of trying aswell

Will stick with Shotokan till I'm a black belt though as there's alot of clubs around all over the place whether it's during or after uni.
Added
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Think I can join this Been training in Jitsu for 2 and a half years now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.24%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.73%
No, but I want to start (169)
35.5%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.53%
No, I chose not to (138)
28.99%