The Student Room Group

An American Goes to London: Any Tips?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oats
There's some good videos on YouTube if you type American living in the UK

Also pants means underwear and not 'trousers'
We don't stop every day to drink cups of tea
Don't stick two fingers up at people, it's not offensive in America but is in UK
Cadbury's is superior to Hershey's
Tea is the name for your evening meal too
Most people don't care about the Queen
Good luck finding English speaking people in London :colone:

So let me get this straight, pants mean underwear and trousers means pants (US)? What about jeans? Does that fall under the "trouser" category or...is that a whole new English word, too?

Is the peace sign equivalent to the middle finger in the UK? :s-smilie:

And your fourth tip is blasphemy!
Reply 21
In general, the British don't tend to be as friendly as Americans, so don't take it personally if you perceive someone as being rude to you.
Original post by Josh93
1) If you're unsure as to whether someone is being sarcastic, assume that they are.

2) We do tip waiters/waitresses if the service was good etc. but it isn't anywhere near such a big thing as it is in the States, my understanding is that our waiters/waitresses are paid comparatively more too so tips aren't expected to form a significant part of their wages.

3) We (southerners are particularly guilty) tend to be quite a bit more reserved than the average American, that doesn't mean that we aren't friendly just that you may find that you need to get to know people a bit more than usual first before we open up.

4) 'Jaywalking' is not a crime, everyone does it in London.

5) Avoid the tube at rush hour for the sake of your sanity.

6) We take queuing very seriously.

7) We will moan about most things from politics through to the weather, try not to take it too seriously. We aren't depressed all the time, we just like to pretend that we are.

8) We call 'pants' trousers (definitely worth remembering...), what you call 'chips' we call crisps, what you call 'French fries' we call chips, what you call 'beer' we call lager (although the two are sometimes incorrectly used interchangeably) etc. etc. - you'll get used to it :wink:

9) 'Bangers and mass' means sausages and mash potato, try it.

10) As much as Londoners moan about it (see above) you're studying in one of the most amazing cities in the world, stop worrying and look forward to it! Our culture really isn't that different and I seriously doubt that you will have any serious problems :smile:

Well in America, though you're not required to tip per se, it's an unwritten law that you should tip or you're a complete d**k. Plus, most waiters & waitresses get paid less than the federal minimum wage (employers get away with this because waiters get tips to supplement their paychecks)

So not tipping is toying with someone's rent or whatnot.

Now, restaurants are tacking on a required 15% tipping fee on the bill to avoid non-tippers.

And with the reserved thing -- pfft. Perfect! I'm reserved myself. I'll be thrilled to escape the rowdiness of New York City.

Really really useful tips here! Thanks!!
Original post by TheNervousWreck
1) In the UK we enjoy moaning, we enjoy complaining about the weather (even if it's nice) and are not as openly loud and proud as Americans are, don't get me wrong we love our country as much as Americans love America but people don't tend to say things like 'I'm proud to be British' very often (cringe).

2) I know I may be bias but you will bloody love London, the only really comparable city in America is New York (cities like Los Angeles cover a massive area and are not really proper industrial cities) but it is such a great place, I don't live there, I live in a place called Dorset in the South-West which is really nice but I love a trip to London, sooooo much to do.

3) However try and get a taste for UK culture while you are here and don't stick to just London, Make trips to places like Stonehenge, Cotswolds and other cities such as Birmingham, Manchester and Edinburgh, they are all really great cities.
Also try and get a taste for British culture, I know you are a girl but do things like go to a football match in London (you will never experience a greater joy than a good atmosphere at a football match) I know loads of girls that get really into the football and you will be very popular if you know your stuff, just find a few other people and go and watch someone like Crystal Palace or West Ham. Try out British food, people have a bad view of British food but actually I think it is really nice,not only things like Fish and chips and roast beef (but a do love them) but things like Stew and Dumplings (OMFG IT"S SO NICE) or shepherds pie are really nice, if you don't like it then there is food from every singe country in the world in London (including plenty of American things)

4) Generally anything you can do In America you can do in the UK so there is really not much to worry about, Crime in London really isn't that bad. There are cultural differences but you will pick them up quickly.

5) Don't worry about looking out of place in London there are sooooo many tourists and people from all over the world that people expect it so don't be surprised.

6) AVOID ALL UKIP VOTERS

1. LOL. What do you think us Americans do? March around, flag in hand, singing the national anthem every day?

2. I'm from New York City. But I've grown so sick of it. I'm sure I'll love London just because it's a change of scenery.

3. Will do! If I have the spare cash to do so. My dad is actually a huge soccer fan and he watches English football all the time. A few channels in the US (ESPN, FOX Soccer) always airs the premiere league. I actually enjoy soccer, but now I have an excuse to get into it. Good advice.

As for the food, none of that sounds appetizing... But I will try them.

4. I'm from NY, I can deal with a little diversity lol.

5. See that's the thing. I don't want to blend in with the tourists! But I do see your point haha. Thanks!
If you're going to stand on the escalators, stand on the right. The left is for people who want to walk down faster. Commuters will tut at you if you do it wrong (at best).

The peace sign (palm out) is fine. Turn it around (palm towards you) and it is extremely rude.

Be positive about the UK. Don't harp on about how much better things are in the US, or how the Brits are doing things (in your eyes) 'wrong'. Don't mimic our accents. We might not be obvious about it but we are proud of our country. Like relatives, we can moan about it, but strangers can't.

If a small child is playing with a gun, there's a 99.9% chance that it really is only a toy, and rugby tackling it to the ground would be overkill.

Get out of London! There is so much more to the UK than London. I second someone's suggestion of Brighton.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
If you want a city with contacts and things to do go to London

If you want functionality and to be able to do things go to Birmingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kimmiexsweetie
1. LOL. What do you think us Americans do? March around, flag in hand, singing the national anthem every day?

2. I'm from New York City. But I've grown so sick of it. I'm sure I'll love London just because it's a change of scenery.

3. Will do! If I have the spare cash to do so. My dad is actually a huge soccer fan and he watches English football all the time. A few channels in the US (ESPN, FOX Soccer) always airs the premiere league. I actually enjoy soccer, but now I have an excuse to get into it. Good advice.

5. See that's the thing. I don't want to blend in with the tourists! But I do see your point haha. Thanks!

No Problem, I really wouldn't worry about differences in words e.g.. pants/trousers (jeans are jeans) because everyone know what Americans say anyway and they will understand, even If it takes a second the realise what you are saying.
Reply 27
The main tips I would give you are to remember that British humour tends to be very sarcastic, so don't take it personally! We are not the friendliest of people in England, but I am sure you will make some friends. We just aren't ones to strike up conversations with people we don't really know, so to Americans we may come off as a bit cold at first.
Other than that, London is a great place and you will have a great time!

Absolute number 1 tip:

Do not call football soccer. DO NOT DO IT.
Haha gee thanks for the encouragement. :tongue: West London to be exact.

West London? Okay than you should be absolutely fine! I used to live in Ealing in West London and generally it's a nice place.
Tips:
-Just don't talk to strangers unless it is necessary.
-Don't smelly or messy foods on the tube.
-Don't make eye contact with people on the tube.
-If someone makes eye contact with you be a little wary of them.
-Don't listen to load music when on the tube.
-Drive on the left side of the road.
-If a taxi has the light on top of it, it is free but f the light is switched off than don't.
-Buy an oyster card as soon as you are there otherwise you will end up paying loads for travel.
-Look at tube maps before going anywhere.
-See if the tube is running before you leave your home.
-If you don't want to pay loads for food than don't go to Waitrose.
-Asda is owned by Walmart so there is slightly cheaper stock there.
-Shopping centre is a mall.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by TheNervousWreck
On second thought It definitely Brighton seeing your disliking for CPFC and your comments on Brighton, am I right?

To be perfectly honest I don't passionately support any particular team (I'm far more into rugby if anything) but yes if I support anyone then it is the Seagulls - I was more than a little happy when they were promoted and more than a little disappointed when Derby knocked them out of the play-offs :\ Second to them would I suppose be Spurs as my dad grew up in North London and ardently supports them.

I hope you didn't take my reply too seriously though, it was 2 something AM in the morning and I was mostly joking :tongue:

Well in America, though you're not required to tip per se, it's an unwritten law that you should tip or you're a complete d**k. Plus, most waiters & waitresses get paid less than the federal minimum wage (employers get away with this because waiters get tips to supplement their paychecks)

So not tipping is toying with someone's rent or whatnot.

Now, restaurants are tacking on a required 15% tipping fee on the bill to avoid non-tippers.

And with the reserved thing -- pfft. Perfect! I'm reserved myself. I'll be thrilled to escape the rowdiness of New York City.

Really really useful tips here! Thanks!!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought (and what I found in Florida). If you do want to tip (quite a lot of us do, it just isn't a big deal if you don't) then 5-10% is normal, 15% or greater would be excessive generally.

Haha, you're going to love London, honestly - at least until you get used to it anyway. It's probably the only city in the world really on a par with NYC. I've never visited NYC (currently trying to persuade my friends that an American road trip is the best possible way to celebrate graduation :wink: ) but London is pretty great.

Happy to help, as I said drop me a message if you have any specific questions :smile:

Also, on your jeans vs trousers question above - all jeans are trousers but not all trousers are jeans, if that makes sense? Trousers encompasses chinos, jeans, smart trousers etc. basically anything you can wear on your legs that isn't a skirt or shorts. Pants means exclusively knickers (panties? :confused: ) or boxers/briefs/'y-fronts', basically any item of underwear for the lower body.

One other thing (sorry) to contradict the person that said you should try to sound British - under no circumstances whatsoever should you do this. Yes some people will find your accent irritating, others will find it endearing (and in London there is so much variety in accents that you'll hardly stand out anyway) but unless you are a professional actress I seriously doubt that you will be able to pull off a British accent that doesn't sound unbelievably cheesy to any genuine Brit when you first move over here, you're far better off just being yourself. More to the point, why would you want to try to change the way you speak?!

And yes, we do all think that you spend all day marching around waving flags and singing the Star Spangled Banner :wink:
Lol thanks for the heads up! I definitely would have tipped the taxi drivers...

Lots of people tip taxi drivers. My friend works as a telephonist for a taxi firm and she's always tipping taxi drivers when we go out. So if you want to tip a taxi driver, they'll be pleased. They just won't expect it. Same for pretty much everything else you would tip for like hairdressers and waitresses (although most people tip in restaurants). I only tip in restaurants, although if I can't be bothered to wait for change I let food delivery drivers and taxi drivers keep it as a tip.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by syrettd
Lots of people tip taxi drivers. My friend works as a telephonist for a taxi firm and she's always tipping taxi drivers when we go out. So if you want to tip a taxi driver, they'll be pleased. They just won't expect it. Same for pretty much everything else you would tip for like hairdressers and waitresses (although most people tip in restaurants). I only tip in restaurants, although if I can't be bothered to wait for change I let food delivery drivers and taxi drivers keep it as a tip.

Got it.

So basically I can tip, it's just not as big as deal as it is here in America.
Reply 33
Original post by zippity.doodah
you're going to live in london? sorry for your loss

Jog on? What cesspit did you crawl out of?

:london:

Original post by Reluctant Economist
We don't tip taxi drivers here! Don't know why but all my American friends do...

Erm, yes we do? Maybe not to the extent the Americans do, but it's certainly polite to leave a bit extra for good service. You're just being a bit rude mate :tongue:
Well you will be most welcome. However it might be a mistake to think that because of a mutual heritage and common language that we are somehow alike. Nothing is further from the truth. You will find the UK a completely alien and very foreign land in which absolutely everything will be unfamiliar even baffling to you. Unfortunately you have been preceded by a million of your countrymen who have not always left a positive impression in particular with their never ending desire to inform all and sundry about how things are done "in the States" lol. In truth nobody is remotely interested. Good luck and have a ball. Our beer is an acquired taste but it is worth getting used to.
Original post by M1011
Jog on? What cesspit did you crawl out of?

:london:

wow, did I upset you or something?
Original post by RossK
In general, the British don't tend to be as friendly as Americans, so don't take it personally if you perceive someone as being rude to you.
You obviously have not met any New York taxi drivers!
Reply 37
wow, did I upset you or something?

Yes, zippity mo'fo doodah, you upset me. Respect my authoritah!
Original post by M1011
Yes, zippity mo'fo doodah, you upset me. Respect my authoritah!

I was only implying that it wasn't a great place to go in england overall; some of it is fantastic but certain parts of it are undeniably grotty gangland ghettos; I had cousins that lived in london and all the walls had graffiti all over them (more than anything like my home town), so many windows were smashed, there were entire parts of town that had nobody speaking english, the shopping streets were crowded like a busy bus and so on
Reply 39
I was only implying that it wasn't a great place to go in england overall; some of it is fantastic but certain parts of it are undeniably grotty gangland ghettos; I had cousins that lived in london and all the walls had graffiti all over them (more than anything like my home town), so many windows were smashed, there were entire parts of town that had nobody speaking english, the shopping streets were crowded like a busy bus and so on

What you've just successfully described is... wait for it... a city. Of course there are poor areas, we can't all be rich.

I can't think of a single better place in England to experience than London, one of the worlds greatest cities with practically everything you can think of doing right on your doorstep. What are these better places you know of? Speak zippity, I demand to know!

Quick Reply

Latest