The Student Room Group

Stop codons

Do stop codons only occur at the end of mRNA molecules, since each mRNA codes for a single polypeptide chain?
Original post by MEPS1996
Do stop codons only occur at the end of mRNA molecules, since each mRNA codes for a single polypeptide chain?

Not necessarily. On a basic level, you can think of it as that way, but practically, stop codons need not be present where the mRNA ends, since during transcription, their DNA complements do not code for any stoppage of the transcription process.
Reply 2
Original post by Dynamo123
Not necessarily. On a basic level, you can think of it as that way, but practically, stop codons need not be present where the mRNA ends, since during transcription, their DNA complements do not code for any stoppage of the transcription process.

sorry i dont understand what you mean ;/
Reply 3
Hmmm. I thought that mRNA does code for stop codons. The reason that translation stops at a stop codon is that there is simply no tRNA molecule that has exposed bases complementary to UAC (or whatever the stop codons are)?
I was under the impression that DNA must contains stop codons at the end of every gene so mRNA knows to stop there, which in turn causes there to be a stop codon at the end of the mRNA molecule. Then when translation occurs there is no complementary tRNA so it stops.

I think I may be slightly mixed up somewhere (regarding DNA!)
Oh wait that's not quite what I meant...

mRNA copies all of the DNA and some bits of DNA happen to code for a stop codon in mRNA, so wen translation occurs there is no complementary triplet on tRNA so translation ends.
Original post by acciolucy
Oh wait that's not quite what I meant...

mRNA copies all of the DNA and some bits of DNA happen to code for a stop codon in mRNA, so wen translation occurs there is no complementary triplet on tRNA so translation ends.

The RNA polymerase creates the pre-mRNA until it reaches a stop codon and then it stops transcribing the DNA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending