Shop where you work? Watch

*Ridwan*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I got a application form frmo Tesco today but we also shop there every Sunday and I'll be wanting to work at the weekends.

Is this a stupid idea as I don't wish to be working and then my family comes to embarass me or I go to Tesco to get something with the feeling ''I work here''

Share your stories :P
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It happens. I can never go into a supermarket now without seeing all the products that are wrongly placed, rubbish on the floor, listen to the staff announcements automatically...

Though having family isn't too bad, as most supermarkets ask you not to serve people who you know that well due to the possibility of fraud and so on.
Montrose
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You wouldn't serve your family, and I doubt your family would be as immature as to try and embarrass you. In fact, shopping somewhere you work saves a lot of time: you know where everything is! Plus the staff discount. It makes sense just to shop at the end of your shift.
purpleone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I shop where I work - Iceland and i get discount, know my way around and if what i want isnt on the shelf i can just go upstairs and get it..

also i get it delivered when ever and where ever
m.a.y.a
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
you need a job and it pays, and lets face it, your family may not even get a chance to be served by you, you may not be working at the time or your way too busy serving other people (unless your fam are like mine who would probably wait for ages in a que so they can be served by me lol!)

most likely your fam would prob ask you to get the shopping instead, since you'll be getting a discount etc etc
Montrose
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by m.a.y.a)
you need a job and it pays, and lets face it, your family may not even get a chance to be served by you, you may not be working at the time or your way too busy serving other people (unless your fam are like mine who would probably wait for ages in a que so they can be served by me lol!)
Most companies have a rule saying you cannot serve your family or close friends, to prevent fraud.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
as someone above says the weird thing will be when you go there from then on you will notice just how dirty the shop is and how products are all over the place.

i work in my local store the thing i don't like is that the people who live me all shop there as well.
Nenime
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Alex Mann)
Most companies have a rule saying you cannot serve your family or close friends, to prevent fraud.
And how many people will actually take notice of that during a busy period?

You may find yourself beginning to tidy up if you are in there on a day off though!
Montrose
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well when I was the Checkout Runner I had a good idea if someone was serving family, and I would make them go to a different checkout because it is not worth you risking your job. You serve someone in your family, and then that day the till comes out £20 short, what does it look like? It doesn't hurt them to go to another till.
M'Lady
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My mum makes a point of coming in to see me at work if she knows I'm working and she happens to be shopping, usually she brings along a band of her scary friends too!
My boyfriend's mum makes a point of doing her weekly sainsburys shop while Tom is working, I often come along with her to give her a hand.
bullyfish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I buy clothes/shoes from where I work, very nice, as I get a 30% discount!
Leigh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bullyfish)
I buy clothes/shoes from where I work, very nice, as I get a 30% discount!
Generous. Where's that, out of interest?
bullyfish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by King Leigh)
Generous. Where's that, out of interest?
That would be Millets, but I also get the discount at freespirit and blacks aswell, so theres always somthing good I can find.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My brother used to reduce all the food items he liked when my mum came in so she could buy them all for him (without telling her). Slightly dishonest, but I think Tesco can probably afford it.
hanadeka2002
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I work at Co-op and do my food shopping there but that's because it's the only shop in the village and I can't be arsed to trek all the way to the city just to go to a supermarket.I know all the staff there so I can't buy like,condoms or anything but it's nice to have someone to say hello to when I go in.

Also,I've served family and friends in the past,we don't have that rule...the security cameras are pointed right into the till though so if you do anything naughty you will be caught.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (123)
18.44%
No (403)
60.42%
Not really bothered about them (141)
21.14%

Watched Threads