Turn on thread page Beta

Should Turkey Join The EU? watch

• View Poll Results: Should Turkey Join The EU?
    No- they are culturally different.
    23.53%
    Yes- they can benefit Europe.
    35.29%
    No.
    32.35%
    Yes.
    8.82%

ReputationRep:
    Extremely random thread.
    I was just wondering what you views were - should they join or not? After all, they are a secular country and letting them in could prove beneficial with middle eastern issues and maybe energy prices.

ReputationRep:
    No - muslim migration crisis!:eek:

They could become a member but with a limit to migration (as various countries did for eastern europe). Which would be ok.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    No.

First admit to slaughtering 1 million Armenians, then grant full human rights to the Kurds and other minorities in your country. Then we'll talk.

ReputationRep:
    Is secularism a requisite for joining the EU?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not. Britain already gave up a significant amount of its rebate to "invest" in the 2004 east european members, as Tony Blair admitted in the EU 'parliament' in response to UKIP questionning, god knows how much Dictator Barosso will demand from us if Turkey joins. The EU is bleeding us dry enough as it is, our £100,000 per hour membership fee is scandalous enough as it is, we can't afford anymore.

Also, Britain is still trying to cope with the shock of absorbing the hundreds of thousands of east europeans that have come here since 2004, (as a labour backbencher admitted) we can't handle another major wave of immigration so quickly after another one.

ReputationRep:
    No it shouldn't. We share nothing in common with Turkey.

By now I'd say no country should enter the EU until it has become more stable again.
    The expansion of the EU in 2004 was a big step and maybe a bit 'too much' for an economic union to handle.

The first thing that should be done is look into the internal affairs of the EU before starting to admit any new members!!!

In addition, I can only agree with gaijin.

ReputationRep:
    I think Turkey should join the EU, although there should be a quota set to limit the number of Turkish people to enter other EU countries.

Although Turkey is a majority Muslim nation, it is the only secular Muslim nation in the entire world, not to mention the fact that it has been a a free nation with a stable democracy for the last 60 years, longer then most current EU countries such as Greece, Poland and etc.

Turkey has made enormous strives to shed its Islamic past, and become European, and I believe that the EU, and the West in general ought to give Turkey the credit it deserves. If we turn our backs on Turkey, and the so-called 'Turkish experiment' fails, then there is no chance for any other Muslim country. By allowing Turkey to become an EU member, we will be effectively showing the rest of the Muslim world that if they adopt a more moderate and liberal interpretation of Islam, be democratic and secular, then they to can integrate into institutions like the EU, and be a active player in world politics.

Finally, I think Westerners should not forget the fact that Turkey has been a most loyal and steadfast ally of the West for the past 60 years. Being the only Muslim nation in NATO, it played a significant role in the Cold War, and is an important ally in the war against terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    Adding Turkey to the EU wold give Europe a border with Iraq, Syria and Iran. Those are just the sort of neighbours we need, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaijin)
    No.

First admit to slaughtering 1 million Armenians, then grant full human rights to the Kurds and other minorities in your country. Then we'll talk.
    Agreed.

(Original post by Sol Inv)
    Adding Turkey to the EU wold give Europe a border with Iraq, Syria and Iran. Those are just the sort of neighbours we need, no?
    What exactly are you suggesting would happen if we had a border with these countries?

ReputationRep:
    Sort out the human rights and power of the military, in addition to journalistic freedom and possibly then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Agreed.

What exactly are you suggesting would happen if we had a border with these countries?
    Guess.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh I love games!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh I love games!
    Indeed. My favourites are monopoly, chess, risk and a few others. But that is irrelevant.

Turkey will be like a potruding rear end of europe stuck right into the most volatile region in the world.

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying that if Turkey was part of the EU then its neighbours would be more likely to attack it. And we would be forced to defend them...

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying that if Turkey was part of the EU then its neighbours would be more likely to attack it. And we would be forced to defend them...
    And much more. This isn't a matter of neighbours invading adjacent states. This is the eu dealing with a highly permeable border through which terrorists, ideologies and exiled factions can draw Europe into greater conflicts.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey is a secular state though operating what the French term "la laicité". It is not a problem with the state being religiouly fanatical.
    If Turkey made a concerted effort to shore up its borders then there wouldnt be a problem..!?
    If any indvidual has enough determination he can get himself into any country.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey is a secular state though operating what the French term "la laicité". It is not a problem with the state being religiouly fanatical.
    If Turkey made a concerted effort to shore up its borders then there wouldnt be a problem..!?
    If any indvidual has enough determination he can get himself into any country.
    I agree.

Especially with Europe's pathetic immigration policies, letting Turkey into the EU will not increase the threats posed by the Middle East.

ReputationRep:
    If Turkey joins the EU the immigration floodgates will open, quota or no. Do you really beleive that such a quota would be effectively enforced or obeyed? Granting membership would be a green light to millions of Turks to come and live where they please.

Even putting aside the economic and administrative problems this would cause (think about the 100sof 1000s of E.European immigrants who have simply disappeared off the records), the social/cultural challenges have to be considered. There are already areas of Amsterdam of all places, that are considered a no-go area because of militant Turkish immigrants.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.