Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Buss2 on wednesday, got content sorted now, just exam technique is getting me!

Everyone knows and I hope you all agree with me that aaa mark schemes can be weird at times. I do geography as well as business studies and the mark schemes are a pain on there too.

Your all probably expecting this but does anyone have any tips for scoring top marks in BUSS2? I just want to see if anyone can explain a simple way to look at a question and give me a few points to get up those levels!

At the moment I'm just reading the question and not really using the case study etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vonny101)
    Hey guys

Buss2 on wednesday, got content sorted now, just exam technique is getting me!

Everyone knows and I hope you all agree with me that aaa mark schemes can be weird at times. I do geography as well as business studies and the mark schemes are a pain on there too.

Your all probably expecting this but does anyone have any tips for scoring top marks in BUSS2? I just want to see if anyone can explain a simple way to look at a question and give me a few points to get up those levels!

At the moment I'm just reading the question and not really using the case study etc
    If you are doing AQA AS Business then it is actually on Tuesday 3rd June, not Wednesday, check your timetable.
    For the exam, just do loads of application because that is where most people drop marks. Also learn your calculations because you either get 0 or 6 which is quite a lot given it is only out of 80 and 6 marks is usually a whole grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    If you are doing AQA AS Business then it is actually on Tuesday 3rd June, not Wednesday, check your timetable.
    For the exam, just do loads of application because that is where most people drop marks. Also learn your calculations because you either get 0 or 6 which is quite a lot given it is only out of 80 and 6 marks is usually a whole grade.
    Sorry i did have a timetable, i have all exams on a printed calendar and i look real quick and saw wednesday! But thanks for reminding me anyway aha

There are barely any calculations in Buss2 but your right 6 marks for the one that does come up is a lot and possibly a whole grade!

anything else? application is literally applying the case study to the question right? and analysis is analysing the point you've just made?

Cheers for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i did have a timetable, i have all exams on a printed calendar and i look real quick and saw wednesday! But thanks for reminding me anyway aha

There are barely any calculations in Buss2 but your right 6 marks for the one that does come up is a lot and possibly a whole grade!

anything else? application is literally applying the case study to the question right? and analysis is analysing the point you've just made?

Cheers for the help!
    Most people lose marks on application and evaluation. This is because some people revise so they have lots of knowledge and they want to show so they write about 5 points and analyse them really well but they are not applied or evaluated. Application is usually picking a detail out of the case study such as they business having poor cash flow or inelastic demand or lots of competition and then saying how that detail impacts your initial point, does it make it less important?
    Evaluation can be done by just saying either which solution is best and why or which point is most important and why. This is when you combine your application and analysis to reach a conclusion.
    Don't worry about analysis as you are probably doing it anyway if you ever say "this means that" then you are probably analysing.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone PLEASE answer these 2 questions I have?

1. What's the difference between delegation and empowerment? Aren't both of them just the passing down of the authority of decision-making to subordinates from line managers?

2. In Maslow's hierarchy of needs, what needs does training met? I'm guessing esteem needs or self-actualisation.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)

1. What's the difference between delegation and empowerment? Aren't both of them just the passing down of the authority of decision-making to subordinates from line managers?

2. In Maslow's hierarchy of needs, what needs does training met? I'm guessing esteem needs or self-actualisation.

Thanks
    Isn't empowerment handing power to employees in order to motivate them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barry2011)
    Isn't empowerment handing power to employees in order to motivate them?
    Yeah, just like I said, giving them more authority

ReputationRep:
    Do we actually have to know the motivation stuff? All I know it that one of them believed in motivators and demotivators. That should be enough .. right?

ReputationRep:
    Delegation is giving someone tasks or responsibility
    While empowerment is giving someone authority
    Both help motivate workers

ReputationRep:
    1. (Original post by krisshP)

Thanks
    1. Delegation is passing down jobs. So at a retail shop one of the higher employees would delegate a job to a shop floor assistant. Nothing unusual though! However, job enrichment is giving a shop floor assistant a more challenging job say sorting a situation they wouldn't normally handle, this motivates them because they think they are doing more important work.

Empowerment however, is giving an employee rule over their working lives!

ReputationRep:
    [LIST=1][*]

1. Delegation is passing down jobs. So at a retail shop one of the higher employees would delegate a job to a shop floor assistant. Nothing unusual though! However, job enrichment is giving a shop floor assistant a more challenging job say sorting a situation they wouldn't normally handle, this motivates them because they think they are doing more important work.

Empowerment however, is giving an employee rule over their working lives!
    Delegration is throwing more jobs at the staff, got it, but I still don't get empowerment.

Thanks

Krishna

ReputationRep:
    Delegration is throwing more jobs at the staff, got it, but I still don't get empowerment.

Thanks

Krishna
    Ok i will try and explain empowerment in a easy way.
    It's basically giving a worker the ability to control or do something, for example if the worker is a line worker and has to create shoes he might be given the ability to chose what shoes to make (bad example but couldn't think of one) thus he has control of what he does and also the end product thus more responsibility and makes the worker seem that he is of a higher importance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigAlDog)
    Ok i will try and explain empowerment in a easy way.
    It's basically giving a worker the ability to control or do something, for example if the worker is a line worker and has to create shoes he might be given the ability to chose what shoes to make (bad example but couldn't think of one) thus he has control of what he does and also the end product thus more responsibility and makes the worker seem that he is of a higher importance
    Thanks, makes sense now.

ReputationRep:
    Do we actually have to know motivation stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Do we actually have to know motivation stuff?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    How much do we have to know? Will there ever be a question asking what levels were on that pyramid thing? Can we choose not to bring it up?
    Basically will a question specifically ask about a motivation theory or can we choose whether or not we want to bring it in for an answer?

ReputationRep:
    How much do we have to know? Will there ever be a question asking what levels were on that pyramid thing? Can we choose not to bring it up?
    Basically will a question specifically ask about a motivation theory or can we choose whether or not we want to bring it in for an answer?
    Ur, see the spec maybe? Look at PAST PAPERS!!!!!!!!!! It's more of analysis, explaining impacts on firm due to motivation or demotivation, high staff absenteeism, high labour turnover etc

Indirectly they ask about the pyramid thing.

They may say benefits of training?

you say something like

Training is good as staff develop/gain knowledge and skills and feel more confident with work. So according to Maslow (throw in name like this, I guess it will gain relevant theory/analysis marks) staff's esteem needs are met, making them motivated and so more willing to work. So in the long-term labour turnover reduces, minimising recruitment and selection costs so profit rises which give the firm more security through more retained profit and/or please shareholders more through greater dividends per share. However short-term costs will increase due to paying for the trainer, reducing profit. Moreover long-term labour turnover reducing means that there may be less new ideas from new creative staff entering the firm. Therefore training is bad in sort-term, but it is great in the long-term. However this depends on whether the firm faces less or more new ideas from creative staff.

But add in APPLICATION in exam from case study data e.g. Labour turnover figures, profit figures...

You could've even mentioned how lower long-term labour turnover reduces the likelihood of experienced staff leaving and trained staff lost to competition.

ReputationRep:
    I did buss2 last year and I am resitting it on tues, does anybody know which topics are more likely to come up as I would prefer to revise those as I have limited time left and so far haven't revised :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasan-1-)
    I did buss2 last year and I am resitting it on tues, does anybody know which topics are more likely to come up as I would prefer to revise those as I have limited time left and so far haven't revised :/
    Don't worry, no-one revises Business so grade boundaries are always low. I genuinely think it is impossible to revise business, every single answer is just how it affects motivation and therefore productivity and therefore profit. I didn't even know we had topics (other than motivation, profit and cash flow forecasts.)
    The only thing you can revise is definitions but no-one has posted a list on here and I can't find one on the internet so I won't be doing that either.
    Any chance you have a definitions list?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, no-one revises Business so grade boundaries are always low. I genuinely think it is impossible to revise business, every single answer is just how it affects motivation and therefore productivity and therefore profit. I didn't even know we had topics (other than motivation, profit and cash flow forecasts.)
    The only thing you can revise is definitions but no-one has posted a list on here and I can't find one on the internet so I won't be doing that either.
    Any chance you have a definitions list?
    There are like 111 definitions in Bus2.they are all in the Business Studies Student Book...>_>

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 4, 2014

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.