Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey all

i've got up to £1200 to spend on a shiny new laptop for uni which i want to use for internet, wordprocessing, downloading music, storing pics and playing dvds. i don't want a huge one but it doesn't have to be too light i won't be moving aroung that much. i'd like it to have a decent battery life and plenty of space for storing my pics and songs. decent sound quality would also be a plus and durabilty (i'm clumsy and i want to hold on to this thing for at least 3yrs) atm i'm thinking along the lines of a lenovo thinkpad - what do you reckon? i don't know which model to go for... i want to get the best i can with my hard earned cash and would also want to upgrade to windows vista when it arrives.

cheers for any help/ advice x

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any recommendations but I'd just like to say that £1200 is quite a lot to spend on a laptop that isn't really going to have to do anything particularly taxing.

ReputationRep:
    Especially if it get's nicked. Don't go to Nottingham....

ReputationRep:
    lol, i'll get it insured. i'm going to london...is that worse? i don't neccessarily have to spend the whole lot just £1200 is my max, i'd prefer under £1000 but i'd be prepared to throw in up to £200 extra for something really ravishing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poppy12)
    hey all

i've got up to £1200 to spend on a shiny new laptop for uni which i want to use for internet, wordprocessing, downloading music, storing pics and playing dvds. i don't want a huge one but it doesn't have to be too light i won't be moving aroung that much. i'd like it to have a decent battery life and plenty of space for storing my pics and songs. decent sound quality would also be a plus and durabilty (i'm clumsy and i want to hold on to this thing for at least 3yrs) atm i'm thinking along the lines of a lenovo thinkpad - what do you reckon? i don't know which model to go for... i want to get the best i can with my hard earned cash and would also want to upgrade to windows vista when it arrives.

cheers for any help/ advice x
    You will only need to spend £800 and spend another £100 on an ultra thin USB externall HDD.
    Me and my bro are getting an Acer Aspire 9114 WLMI, mobility as we are far from home for uni and technical specifications high enough to run battlefield 2 and new generation of games.

www.laptopsdirect.co.uk
    www.rockdirect.co.uk
    www.evesham.co.uk
    www.meshcomputers.com

ReputationRep:
    go to http://uk.zepto.com/Default.aspx choose Zepto Znote 6214W - Gamer

and configure it up to the following

Zepto Znote 6214W - Gamer - Extreme
    100280 14" WXGA Crystal Clear 1280x768
    120608 2.16 GHz Intel® Core™ Duo T2600
    130121 2048MB (2x1024) DDR2 PC5300 - 667MHZ
    140021 160 GB 5400rpm SATA Hitachi
    150121 DVD-RW Dual Layer burner Slot-in (Sony)
    260025 Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG 54Mbit
    200006 Microsoft® Windows® XP Home UK
    270010 Built-in bluetooth
    170078 UK (United Kingdom) 6X14W
    12 months warr. (6 mths on battery); return to base, parts & labour
    230034 Zepto notebook sleeve, Medium
    200401 Nero Express and WinDVD 4 software OEM

Total Comes to £1,189.69

Probably the best deal at the moment, alternatively you could get a macbook pro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarageMc)
    go to http://uk.zepto.com/Default.aspx choose Zepto Znote 6214W - Gamer

and configure it up to the following

Zepto Znote 6214W - Gamer - Extreme
    100280 14" WXGA Crystal Clear 1280x768
    120608 2.16 GHz Intel® Core™ Duo T2600
    130121 2048MB (2x1024) DDR2 PC5300 - 667MHZ
    140021 160 GB 5400rpm SATA Hitachi
    150121 DVD-RW Dual Layer burner Slot-in (Sony)
    260025 Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG 54Mbit
    200006 Microsoft® Windows® XP Home UK
    270010 Built-in bluetooth
    170078 UK (United Kingdom) 6X14W
    12 months warr. (6 mths on battery); return to base, parts & labour
    230034 Zepto notebook sleeve, Medium
    200401 Nero Express and WinDVD 4 software OEM

Total Comes to £1,189.69

Probably the best deal at the moment, alternatively you could get a macbook pro.
    :eek: Awesome and able to customise the laptop lid as well! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Good place to look is Misco or Savastore. :google: em and they will be there

I buy from there on a regular basis - and never had a problem with either.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, for the tasks she's mentioned she doesn't need a beast of a laptop with 2GB Ram and all. For what? Playing a dvd? :eek:

I'd suggest an Asus as their price/ specs ratio is fairly good... Have a look around

ReputationRep:
    dont spend more then you have to, it doesnt seem youll be doing anything too trying on it, i say get one that fits what you need and use the extra money for something else...

you dont want to be taking soemthing TOO valuable to uni, insurance is never straightforward to reclaim and is a pain in the bum also..make sure you get a laptop lock!

xxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak from personal experience, but I think I'm getting a Lenovo 3000 N100 - from what I hear they sound good, check them out.

ReputationRep:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...D&nclm=MacBook

ReputationRep:
    I'd reccommend spending it on a £900 Laptop max. Then spending the spare £300 on:

* Collect and Return Accidental Warranties
    * Insurance
    * All in One Printer
    * Mice
    * 2 Extra Battery
    * Non Conspicuous Laptop Backpack
    * External Hard drive
    * USB Sticks
    * DVD-Rs
    * Speakers/headphones

For the casual Gaming and multitasking, I would suggest at least 128MB DEDICATED Graphics (Don't fall for 256MB Hypermemory stuff as they only have 64MB Dedicated memory).
    Here are a list of stuff to look out for (From best to worse)

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900GTX
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7800GTX
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1800
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 Ultra
    ATI Mobility Radeon X800
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
    ATI Mobility Radeon X700
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600
    ATI Mobility Radeon X600
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300

And for your money, get an Intel Core DUO processor, with at least 1GB Ram and more than 60GB HD

Then you're all set basically

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.