The Student Room Group

OCR - A2 English Literature June 2014

I'm doing Section A - Shakespeare: King Lear and Section B - Drama & Poetry: Tis Pity She's a Whore & Songs of Innocence.

Any suggestions of what themes or character focus may come up?

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
I've already seen past paper questions (at school can't find them online) on natural order, Edmund, Edgar and Cordela together about resolving the tragedy, Gloucester, hopelessness at the end and madness... So maybe women or family relationships? Importance of minor characters?

I'm doing Tis Pity with Paradise Lost and I'm hoping something about emotion vs logic, wrongdoing, desire... Something like that. But they're pretty standard every year.
Original post by Fortune36
I'm doing Section A - Shakespeare: King Lear and Section B - Drama & Poetry: Tis Pity She's a Whore & Songs of Innocence.

Heya, I'm doing Shakespeare King Lear as well, and I have to admit I have no idea what may come up so I would be interested to know what everyone else thinks! Has there been a recent question on death?

I'm also doing a question on Marvell's poetry and Webster the White Devil, and I can't find anyone else studying the same two! :frown:
Nope no question on death but I think that kinda comes into hopelessness at the end (cos everyone's dead!) so I doubt it will come up.
Reply 5

You're the only person I've found who is doing Tis pity and William blake! I had such an awful teacher and I don't even know where to start and it's three days before the exam. Do you have any material/critical commentary/ comparison essays that you could share on here please? Thank you
Reply 6
Any speculation on what the King Lear question may be this year? My other texts are The Wife of Bath and The Rivals. Anybody else doing these?
Reply 7
hey I'm doing volpone and the wife of bath and king lear for section A- my teacher thinks its likely to be something on women as nothing like that cam up last year or in the specimen paper. its unlikely to be gloucester and Lear and my teacher seems to think they often do questions on relationships so I'm thinking goneril and regan or edgar and edmund? those are good because theres lots to write about with easy-ish quotes. x
Is anyone else doing Volpone and Songs of Innocence and Experience for Section B? All we've been taught how to do is essays on sin so if that doesn't come up I have no idea what I'll do :frown:
Original post by Polly456
You're the only person I've found who is doing Tis pity and William blake! I had such an awful teacher and I don't even know where to start and it's three days before the exam. Do you have any material/critical commentary/ comparison essays that you could share on here please? Thank you

I'm doing those too!

I have one or two typed essays I can share with you along with some critics. Assuming you have the play in a hard copy, I've begun to look through and write very small paragraphs on quotes that are applicable to many different characters and themes. I've also tracked down last years questions.

If it'd be a bit easier feel free to message me and I'll probably be able to give you some more specific help :smile:

you aren't doing the tempest by any chance are you?
Original post by DaniT12345
Is anyone else doing Volpone and Songs of Innocence and Experience for Section B? All we've been taught how to do is essays on sin so if that doesn't come up I have no idea what I'll do :frown:

Songs of Innocence and Experience, yes. Volpone, no. :frown:

First things first, DON'T PANIC. Don't try and cram in a million things.

I'm unsure what Volpone is about but I would suggest going through a study guide or just the play itself and selecting quotes that would fit into a few themes. Like themes for Tis Pity are Religion, Innocence, Evil, Corruption etc... learning specific quotes is just gonna send you into panic mode even more.

Hope that helps!

‘To embrace love is to embrace danger.’ In the light of this view, discuss writers’
treatment of love.

Forbidden pleasures are the best.’ In the light of this view, discuss ways in which
writers portray the pursuit and the consequences of pleasure.

‘Literature explores the conflict between order and chaos.’ In the light of this view,
consider ways in which writers present order and chaos. In your answer, compare one
drama with one poetry text from the above lists.

Power is inevitably a source of corruption.’ In the light of this view, consider ways in which writers explore power and corruption.

‘The fascination of innocence lies in its fragility.’ In the light of this view, consider ways
in which writers present innocence.

These are last years questions.

As far as guesswork on this years questions go, I think individual judgement is as meritable as anything your teacher has to say! Best way to go is to revise quotes and critics that are widely applicable I think. (Thats what im doing anyway). I feel like a lot of the time the teachers are winging it as much as I am...
King Lear predictions?
Reply 13
Anyone doing King Lear for section A?

The White Devil and The Wife of Bath for section b?
Reply 14
I`m really struggling with critics for The Rivals. I`m comparing it Blake and doing King Lear for section A so any information on that would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 15
Original post by Grumpychicken1
King Lear predictions?

I think nature will be one (hoping more rather) and I`m hoping I`m right as I guessed the theme of gender for Frankenstein last year so I`m hoping that my good guessing hasn`t left me this year!
Reply 16
What could you say in an essay on nature in king lear and women please ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
For nature you could talk abou how Lear returns to nature when he goes mad and talk about Edgar and how he transforms into poor Tom you could also talk about how Lear learns that nothing matters after he has returned to nature and the use of animal imagery throughout.

For women you can compare lears three daughters and the power that they have over the male characters and you talk about a load of context if this were to come up
Original post by DaniT12345

I am doing it too!

Quick Reply

Latest