The Student Room Group

BCU or Newman for Psychology?

I've received an unconditional offer for both Birmingham City and Newman University and I have no idea which one to go for. Newman is further away but BCU has a bad reputation.. HELP?!
Reply 1
Hiya,
Just found this and looking at both Uni's myself - interested to know which you chose, if you have chosen yet?
C
Reply 2
Original post by zahrazee
I've received an unconditional offer for both Birmingham City and Newman University and I have no idea which one to go for. Newman is further away but BCU has a bad reputation.. HELP?!

Hello. I did study at Newman for a year but quit due to personal issues. Now i'll be studying psychology at bcu in September. From what i can remember, catching the bus every day there was a bit annoying not to mention the amount of places you could go to eat and drink from was very limited over there. Study wise it was alright but i feel bcu will be more easy (travel wise)for me as it's much closer, but that's my personal opinion :smile:
Hi:smile: I'm currently a student at Newman and going into my second year psychology in September.

I catch the bus to Newman from Birmingham city centre, it takes me around an hour and a half on a good day, which I personally have no problem with.

Newman as a uni is excellent. Due to the small number of students at the uni there is a wide range of support for students, a big range of books/journals, good computer facilities and access to meeting with lectures without waiting weeks (experience my friend had who studies at bcu).

I was looking into studying at bcu but have heard unpleasant things from people who go there on the same course. A main point I hear a lot is that there is not enough support if it's needed and lecturers are hard to get a hold of.

Newman has a good range of facilities, Starbucks, restaurant, bar and gym.

Good luck choosing and with your studies:smile:
Hi,
I'm Elle Boag, a lecturer on the psychology programmes at BCU, and we offer a lot of support:

* A total of 12 hours per week one-to-one or group contact.
* At least two hours per week drop-ins with module co-ordinators (lecturers).
* A personal tutor and a year tutor.

We have a few places left on our courses in Clearing - http://bcu.ac.uk/clearing/courses?term=psychology&clearing=1 - call us on 0121 331 6777 if you are interested.
Reply 5
Thanks for the very helpful feedback everybody!

I will be looking at both next year. I studied MH Nursing at BCU for a while and enjoyed it though guess that Psych will be different dept to Health.

I am interested to know why Part time at Newman is 4 years and Part time at BCU is 5. This is something that would sway me to be honest, wonder why that is?
As far as I'm aware, the part time at Newman consists of 2/3 evenings a week, and I think they may do some lectures on a weekend.

Quick Reply

Latest