Spending Money for Amsterdam

Watch
JohnsonK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm going to Amsterdam in July with a mate and we are gonna go do the normal things; coffee shop crawl, nights out, see a couple museums and go out of amdam to somewhere chilled.
I want to know like prices for beers/pints/weed and food.
How much would you reckon we would need to bring? (Each)

Any info would be ideal. Oh and like taxi prices? - not much help as don't know distance but cheap? Just from airport to hotel. And train prices too.

THANKS
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JohnsonK)
I'm going to Amsterdam in July with a mate and we are gonna go do the normal things; coffee shop crawl, nights out, see a couple museums and go out of amdam to somewhere chilled.

Any info would be ideal. Oh and like taxi prices? - not much help as don't know distance but cheap? Just from airport to hotel. And train prices too.

THANKS
Obviously dpends on how long you're going for etc but i'll give you a rough outline.

Coffee shop is not expensive. Think it was like £3 for a brownie. Nights out can be expensive but roughly the same as UK nights. If you go on a "Crawl" you get given a load of very crappy vodka and taken round town with reps for a reasonable price.

You HAVE to go to the sceince mueseum. Hands down the most aweosme thing there. I think this is partly due to it being like 4 stories of intereactive awesomeness and partly due to having a brownie or two on the way there. It was like £20, or £15 with valid student ID i think.

Beer/Food is standard prices for a big city. There are cheap places but it's mostly fairly expensive.

You'll probably get a train from the airport into town and then the main train station is right in the centre of where everything is. Right near the red light district and most hostels. Any specific questions just ask.

Source: Been twice, Few years ago now...
JamesyC
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JohnsonK)

THANKS
I go to Amsterdam every few months.

Prices, well.. €4.50 a pint is pretty standard, especially in the busier areas like Leidseplein. Weed gets cheaper the farther away you get from the city centre. So a coffeeshop in Dam is going to charge you about €15 a gram, a bit less for hash, but somewhere out near centurbaan will be a lot cheaper (€10-12) and better quality because they don't get many tourists, and local people will have the balls to call them out for **** weed.

Food, restaurants are expensive, cafes are much cheaper. If you're desperate you can go to FEBO which is a fast food vending machine store that sells small burgers and stuff for about €2, and its usually pretty fresh because of the constant rotation.

I'd bring about €100 for 3 days on the cheap. €200 for a good time. The weed is the cheapest bit about it, but most coffeeshops expect you to buy their weed, or at the very least, coffees.

Don't get taxis. Amsterdam is not very car friendly when you get to the centre. The public transport is great. €7.50 for a 24 hour tram ticket. You can get a train from schiphol to centraal very quickly for a couple of Euro, theres ticket machines upstairs from the train station below the airport.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't forget to try the magic mushrooms in the park for a wonderful eight hour trip.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The-Dream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everything in Amsterdam is really expensive... the same price as London really.
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was surprised at how cheap the weed was to be fair, even in the Bulldog coffee bars near central station it was only €5 for a space muffin I think, from what I can remember. There's cheaper independent places but the tourists normally head to the franchise.

Beer is expensive in the city, but it didn't stop me drinking far too much of it. I hope you like Heineken draught because that seems to be the most popular thing they do. There's a whole
Heineken experience place in dam that's a tourist attraction but I never got time to go! If you want a brass use the licensed window brothels and expect to pay about €50.

I don't know much about food cos I hardly ate any proper meals whilst I was there. Spent 3 days getting absolutely off it.
Mattj1992
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Went in November for my birthday; I got some spending money as presents which was nice and handy but I would say per day I would take 30-50 euros. I had breakfast in my hotel which helped, didn't really bother with sat down lunch or dinner; Mcdonalds and Kfc did the job!

Get the train from the airport, it will cost you 3E for a single, it's very straight forward and hard to get lost.
If you are planning to do a lot of sightseeing then get the Iamsterdam Card, it includes a free tram and bus pass around the city, for 24,48 or 72 hrs depending on the card you buy. You also get free entry to loads of attractions, discount on some and also offers on food and drink.

In terms of coffee shops; for a newbie like me I would have bought 3 pre-rolled joints for 10E between two people and that would last us a day easily! Remember you can bring your own weed to a different coffee shop, just be polite and buy a drink or something; so if you are somewhere on the outskirts then get your weed there and take it around with you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (138)
59.23%
No (52)
22.32%
Not sure (43)
18.45%

Watched Threads