The Student Room Group

My spots.

I've had mild acne ever since i was 11. It has recently gotten worse. My mum believed it was my make up, consequently i stopped using make up however the spots did not improve. I then used benzoyl peroxide and was very happy with the result. My face was clear, however it resulted in my face becoming red, puffy and dry. The skin blackened and peeled off after a while. I wanted to continue using it and see if the side effects would lessen after some time but she told me i can't use it any more. My skin stayed clear for a few days and then she commented on my acne scars telling me i should attempt to get rid of them. A week later the spots have started coming back and now she's claiming it's what i eat. I have been home for the majority of the half term and for the most part i don't eat out. I don't agree that it's the food. Are there any products similar to benzoyl peroxide but without the bad side effects. Is there anything anyone can recommend to get rid of the scars too. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
unfortunately most acne treatment only works if its used long term, and they come with side effects like your experience with benzoyl peroxide. Like you were saying, benzoyl peroxie seemed to be working for you, apart from dry puffy red skin which you ma be able to manage through other means. Your mum on the other hand seems to be your real problem, why is she making you stop treatment, telling you to 'get rid' of your scars? You need to educate her on acne, tell her that it is a real problem for you and that you cant get 'rid' of scars that easily they are SCARS they take time to diminish. Maybe go to a doctors appointment together both you and her ask questions and understand each other better. As for eating healthier, nothing directly links diet and acne problems but if it mean you are healthier it cant be bad. Please talk to your mum and take a look at this, there are loads of people in similar situations to you...maybe a good skin care regime could help :smile: http://www.reddit.com/r/skincareaddiction/ good luck!
Do you have any other products in your skincare routine? If you do then what are they, because they might be making your skin worse and not better. Maybe for the benzoyl peroxide you need a lower percentage (for example if you are using 10%, change to 5% or 2.5%)- it definitely sounds too harsh for your skin, it should not be blackening or peeling! Also if you feel your face becoming dry while using it then maybe you should add a moisturiser into your routine? You would use the moisturiser and then apply the benzoyl peroxide afterwards.
I don't really have a big problem with acne but whenever I get a spot on my face, I apply the Body Shop Tea tree skin toner on that spot after washing my face and moisturising it. It really helps as the spot doesn't get worse and disappears within a day! :smile:

Edit: What skin type do you have? You have to use the right products for your skin type. For example, if you have oily skin and use products for dry skin then it will make your skin even more oily, possibly resulting in more acne.
(edited 9 years ago)
tbh, have you even THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED?

even though you don't eat out that often and such, what do you actually eat? At least five a day? Healthy substitutes - wholemeal bread w/ ham, tomato and lettuce instead of a bacon buttie? and WATER - cannot stress this enough, changed my skin for the better. always keep a bottle at hand and schedule your day so you know and force yourself to fill it up. drinking squash helps me cox myself to drink it.
Reply 5
Lymecycline tablets are great for acne, I've used it for 5 months so far and it's working perfectly. After 3 months they almost all disappeared and I stopped using the tablets. However they came straight back and was advised to use the tablets along with the cream your using because the tablets just cover up the problem and doesn't get rid of them.
Acne occurs, due to excess oil secretion in the skin. I'll tell you, the best and only way of preventing breakouts is to wash your face as often as possible. For the scars, have you tried apple cider vinegar? It's not really something that people recommend, but it has worked for me. The ethanoic acid burns of surface skin and promotes new sin growth in the region and helps to speedup scar fading!
Original post by futuredoctorVSB
Acne occurs, due to excess oil secretion in the skin. I'll tell you, the best and only way of preventing breakouts is to wash your face as often as possible. For the scars, have you tried apple cider vinegar? It's not really something that people recommend, but it has worked for me. The ethanoic acid burns of surface skin and promotes new sin growth in the region and helps to speedup scar fading!

That's really bad advice about washing your face so often. Washing your face so often will strip it of its natural oils, which will encourage it to produce more oil as a result. This makes your skin 'dehydrated' where it is over-producing oil to make up for the oil that you're stripping from it.
Oil is not the sole cause of acne either. It could be hormones, bacteria, certain ingredients in products, etc.
If you are going to use apple cider vinegar, then do not use it full strength - dilute it with water, and test out a patch first to see if it is too strong for you. Also make sure the apple cider vinegar is raw in order for it to actually have any skin benefits
Reply 8
Original post by princess:)
tbh, have you even THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED?

even though you don't eat out that often and such, what do you actually eat? At least five a day? Healthy substitutes - wholemeal bread w/ ham, tomato and lettuce instead of a bacon buttie? and WATER - cannot stress this enough, changed my skin for the better. always keep a bottle at hand and schedule your day so you know and force yourself to fill it up. drinking squash helps me cox myself to drink it.

I only eat wholemeal bread, my meals are home cooked everyday and i'm relatively fit and therefore drink a lot of water. I usually eat fruit for breakfast and as a snack.
Original post by bleepbloop
That's really bad advice about washing your face so often. Washing your face so often will strip it of its natural oils, which will encourage it to produce more oil as a result. This makes your skin 'dehydrated' where it is over-producing oil to make up for the oil that you're stripping from it.
Oil is not the sole cause of acne either. It could be hormones, bacteria, certain ingredients in products, etc.
If you are going to use apple cider vinegar, then do not use it full strength - dilute it with water, and test out a patch first to see if it is too strong for you. Also make sure the apple cider vinegar is raw in order for it to actually have any skin benefits

I respect your advice, but I'd like to interject. Majority of acne is due to excess oil secretion. There is no 'overproduction' of oil, it is a homeostatic process, and there will be a constant production of oil, that is slightly too much. Hence why I suggest increasing the frequency of washing your face.

Also, about the hormones and bacteria. Firstly hormones: Hormones cause the over secretion of oil. And bacteria, well, why the hell does bacteria colonise your face, unless it's not washed as much as needs be? :smile:

In terms of the other products that might affect your skin, well that is a judgement call. OP, should make sure that they are not getting bad responses from certain products.

Bottom line: Treat oil levels and washing face as two opposing forces (Physics analogy). In order to get a resultant of zero (ie. Ideal oil levels in face), when the oil factor on skin increases, the washing face factor must increase as well, to counteract the excess oil.

I absolutely agree with bleepbloops advice on the apple cider vinegar though :smile:
Original post by shopoholic
I don't really have a big problem with acne but whenever I get a spot on my face, I apply the Body Shop Tea tree skin toner on that spot after washing my face and moisturising it. It really helps as the spot doesn't get worse and disappears within a day! :smile:

Edit: What skin type do you have? You have to use the right products for your skin type. For example, if you have oily skin and use products for dry skin then it will make your skin even more oily, possibly resulting in more acne.

I had oily skin but ever since the benzoyl peroxide my skins been quite normal i think. Thanks i will definitely try that i love their products.
Original post by David B
Lymecycline tablets are great for acne, I've used it for 5 months so far and it's working perfectly. After 3 months they almost all disappeared and I stopped using the tablets. However they came straight back and was advised to use the tablets along with the cream your using because the tablets just cover up the problem and doesn't get rid of them.

Can i get that without a prescription??

I wash my face twice a day and try to touch it as little as possible. Where can i get apple cider vinegar

Thanks i won;t increase the amount of times i wash it. I kind of miss my oily skin.

Thanks for all the advice so far it's been really helpful
Original post by Anonymous
I had oily skin but ever since the benzoyl peroxide my skins been quite normal i think. Thanks i will definitely try that i love their products.

You should try Clean&Clear facewash, it works really well for me.
And don't apply that toner before moisturiser, it broke me out when I did that. I think applying it after moisturising on just the spots works better
Original post by n.m0rg
unfortunately most acne treatment only works if its used long term, and they come with side effects like your experience with benzoyl peroxide. Like you were saying, benzoyl peroxie seemed to be working for you, apart from dry puffy red skin which you ma be able to manage through other means. Your mum on the other hand seems to be your real problem, why is she making you stop treatment, telling you to 'get rid' of your scars? You need to educate her on acne, tell her that it is a real problem for you and that you cant get 'rid' of scars that easily they are SCARS they take time to diminish. Maybe go to a doctors appointment together both you and her ask questions and understand each other better. As for eating healthier, nothing directly links diet and acne problems but if it mean you are healthier it cant be bad. Please talk to your mum and take a look at this, there are loads of people in similar situations to you...maybe a good skin care regime could help :smile: http://www.reddit.com/r/skincareaddiction/ good luck!

Thanks, i've tried but she's been like this since i was 11 lool, i don't take it to heart anymore i know she wants the best for me. I use a scrub every 3 to 4 times a week and use a gentle cleanser everyday. Is there anything else i could do? I think i might just carry on using benzoyl peroxide and hope for the best

Can i get that without a prescription??

I wash my face twice a day and try to touch it as little as possible. Where can i get apple cider vinegar

Thanks i won;t increase the amount of times i wash it. I kind of miss my oily skin.

Thanks for all the advice so far it's been really helpful

You can get it at the supermarket, or order it up online really! :smile: And don't worry if you can't get apple cider vineger as such. The active ingredient is ethanoic acid. Any acid containing liquid should do the trick; rice wine vinegar, even lemon juice. Just make suer you test out the concentrations!
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Tbh a lot of the posts here aren't exactly the best advice. You need to go to your GP and they will prescribe you with some drugs. These usually have very minor side effects. Generally these drugs are quite effective, but if not, you will have to try them for a couple months, go back, and be prescribed with different drugs. If these don't work your GP will refer you to hospital where they should prescribe you with accutane. Accutane does have side effects but is pretty much always effective. Do not wash your face multiple times a day and do not buy things from drugstores.

I've been before they said due to my age i should wait. Anyway i can get accutane online?

Original post by shopoholic
You should try Clean&Clear facewash, it works really well for me.
And don't apply that toner before moisturiser, it broke me out when I did that. I think applying it after moisturising on just the spots works better

Thanks, clean and clear really doesn't work for me. Broke me out. I'm glad it works for you though, i think it's because my skin is quite sensitive.
I've been before they said due to my age i should wait. Anyway i can get accutane online?

Accutane is serious stuff! It's always a last option, for very serious acne when every other option has tried and failed. I'm sure there is a better and easier solution than Accutane for you, especially since you are probably quite young and it sounds like you haven't tried much other than the benzoyl peroxide.
Go to your GP and ask for Duac gel - it contains both benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin. Otherwise you can get clindamycin prescribed on its own. Or you could try antibiotics - I take tetracycline which doesn't completely get rid of acne, but it fights off the bacteria that causes acne and leaves your skin in a fairly manageable state.
If you're a girl, try to avoid dairy products for a week or so, and see if this helps. Androgen hormones in cow milk can affect your own hormones and aggravate acne. However, this isn't the case for everyone, so just try it for a few days and see if it works.
You can get it at the supermarket, or order it up online really! :smile: And don't worry if you can't get apple cider vineger as such. The active ingredient is ethanoic acid. Any acid containing liquid should do the trick; rice wine vinegar, even lemon juice. Just make suer you test out the concentrations!

Nonono!!!! No lemon juice on the skin!! It increases photosensitivity (makes you more likely to get bad sunburn), it causes hyperpigmentation, and messes with your skin's natural barrier and your pH balance. Just a bad idea all around to put lemon juice on your skin.

Edit: OP, if you want to consider starting a safe, healthy routine for your skin then check out this page http://np.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/wiki/beginners
It's the best resource for skincare, no dodgy advice like 'put lemon juice on your skin' or 'wash your face as much as you can'!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Talk to your GP about the spots.

Your mum probably means well, but it sounds like she is doing an absolutely HORRENDOUS job of helping you - she's making you feel more self-conscious about the whole thing. Listen to your GP, not your mum; I think she should stop commenting on the issue.
Nonono!!!! No lemon juice on the skin!! It increases photosensitivity (makes you more likely to get bad sunburn), it causes hyperpigmentation, and messes with your skin's natural barrier and your pH balance. Just a bad idea all around to put lemon juice on your skin.

Yeah i've tried lemon juice before.. wasn't great. Does apple cider vinegar do the same?

Original post by Petulia
Go to your GP and ask for Duac gel - it contains both benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin. Otherwise you can get clindamycin prescribed on its own. Or you could try antibiotics - I take tetracycline which doesn't completely get rid of acne, but it fights off the bacteria that causes acne and leaves your skin in a fairly manageable state.
If you're a girl, try to avoid dairy products for a week or so, and see if this helps. Androgen hormones in cow milk can affect your own hormones and aggravate acne. However, this isn't the case for everyone, so just try it for a few days and see if it works.

Yeah i think dairy may be a problem, i've never really responded well to it but i loveeee cheese. I'll try my best though.

Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Well I think I remember being prescribed for some type when I was maybe 14/15. You can't get accutane online :/ I really do recommend against using any of these at home remedies, in my experience they make things worse and putting ethanoic acid on your face sounds like such a silly thing to do. Maybe it works for some people but honestly I feel like it would lead to scarring. Wash your face twice a day, drink a lot of water and don't touch your face. If your acne is bad then the GP should prescribe you with something.

I think i'll go see them again, i'm 16 now so they should prescribe something.

Quick Reply

Latest