Explain the possible effects that a mutation to a base of a DNA molecule might have o Watch

Jasy19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
"Explain the possible effects that a mutation to a base of a DNA molecule might have on a protein? "

Stuck and really need help.

"Describe a condition that results from this type of inborn error. Try to find out exactly what the base change is, how this affects the protein produced and what the symptoms are"

Really need a serious explanation as to what I need to talk about. I know about protein level structures, and obviously a mutation to the base/(first?) level would ultimately change the entire proteins shape and therefore structure, however what causes the mutation? (In depth), and how would this mutation change this protein? I need to talk about the amino acid change, with a specific example for all this o.O

Any help greatly appreciated, the more the merrier
KiwiMonkey96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jasy19)
"Explain the possible effects that a mutation to a base of a DNA molecule might have on a protein? "

Stuck and really need help.

"Describe a condition that results from this type of inborn error. Try to find out exactly what the base change is, how this affects the protein produced and what the symptoms are"

Really need a serious explanation as to what I need to talk about. I know about protein level structures, and obviously a mutation to the base/(first?) level would ultimately change the entire proteins shape and therefore structure, however what causes the mutation? (In depth), and how would this mutation change this protein? I need to talk about the amino acid change, with a specific example for all this o.O

Any help greatly appreciated, the more the merrier
Cystic fibrosis is an example that is the result of a mutation on chromosome 7. The gene is known as the CFTR gene (cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator). The most common mutation is that a triplet of AAA is deleted causing the amino acid phenylanine to be removed from amino acid position 508. This is turn causes the protein to be of a different shape and hence the cells cannot deal with chloride ions properly, this leads to an imbalance of chloride ions and cause any mucus produced to be thick and sticky. This is often most servere in the lungs but can effect many other organs. This of course has been caused by an inherited factor but many mutations can be caused by other factors such as UV light.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (46)
24.73%
No, but I have thought about it (50)
26.88%
No (90)
48.39%

Watched Threads