The Student Room Group

Masters in Finance / Investment Management - Third Class - Can I get in?

I studied Economics at the LSE, but unfortunately, due to personal circumstances (ie read having to take care of someone close dying of a horrible disease), I only got a 3rd class degree.

However, I’ve now worked at Goldman as an EM credit trader for 3 years (they don’t make offers conditional on grades, so I got in).
I’m keen to quit though and do a Masters in Finance or something similar. I’m looking at the following courses:

Cass Masters in Finance & Investment (Part-Time)

Cass Masters in Finance

Cass Masters in Finance (Part-Time)

LBS Masters in Finance

LBS Masters in Finance (Part-Time)

Cambridge Masters in Finance

Warwick Masters in Finance

What do you think are my chances of getting into any of the above schools with a third class degree, given my extenuating circumstances?
(edited 9 years ago)
0 to none, to tell you the truth. Usually they ask for a minimum of 2:1, even given your circumstances. They may reject you on the basis of past performance and your inability to cope at LSE (as you should've told LSE about your extenuating circumstances when you were there).
Original post by railsoncoast
I studied Economics at the LSE, but unfortunately, due to personal circumstances (ie read having to take care of someone close dying of a horrible disease), I only got a 3rd class degree.

However, I’ve now worked at Goldman as an EM credit trader for 3 years (they don’t make offers conditional on grades, so I got in).
I’m keen to quit though and do a Masters in Finance or something similar. I’m looking at the following courses:

Cass Masters in Finance & Investment (Part-Time)

Cass Masters in Finance

Cass Masters in Finance (Part-Time)

LBS Masters in Finance

LBS Masters in Finance (Part-Time)

Cambridge Masters in Finance

Warwick Masters in Finance

What do you think are my chances of getting into any of the above schools with a third class degree, given my extenuating circumstances?

It's hard to say really, you'd probably need to email and explain.
Reply 3
why do you want to quit? And what's your plan after getting a finance degree?
Experience in industry can be a big bonus on postgraduate applications. It's worth calling or emailing them to find out; although your first degree isn't going to help at all and makes it a long shot, it isn't completely out of the question.

Quick Reply

Latest