The Student Room Group

Gap year to get into a better university?

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Wisefire
Year 12 student here. I'm not exactly going to get bad grades in my AS-levels, but I'm pretty confident next year I'll do much better in my retakes (i.e. low A > high A, or low B > mid A)...

Bearing that in mind, how I'll get my A2 and AS-retake results at a stage that's far too late to apply to better universities, and how adjustment may not work, would taking a gap year be a good option in this scenario? I'd be going for as many internships and jobs as possible, both career and non-career orientated. The fact that my grades would be outstanding in this scenario should also help me to actually get jobs, and some internships in general, regardless of not being a graduate...

Basically, I refuse to go to an average university if I have shown that, yes, I have great A-level grades... I'd be able to use my retakes and good A2s for applications to universities the following year (starting September 2016), right?

The majority of the top 10 unis won't accept retakes, so it won't help you to get into them. Also, it won't benefit you to have a high A over a low A, you'll still have an A either way to most unis!
There are other ways to enhance an application as well, as long as you reach the required grades you can up your chances through things like voluntary or paid work (relating to your chosen area of study), showing you will be an asset to the university so maybe taking up a sport, or demonstrating general desirable qualities. Grades are vital to show that you have the academic capabilities but there are other things outside of the box that can help. They need to be thought out and relevant really, no point doing something which takes up precious time in year 13 that won't benefit it. Can you ask your tutor or something for advice?
Original post by Wisefire
So, what... One is basically 'done for', in terms of going to a good university, even after turning round their A-levels via retakes? Year 12 is basically the one and only year you can get to a top university? Well, what if one got extremely/unexpectedly good A2s then? Would adjustment work in that instance?

At least, say I did retake my AS-levels, and I got significantly better grades in all of them, what benefit would that give me in the long-run, if it does not even benefit my chances of getting into a good university? Are A-levels appreciated enough, in terms of employment prospects? Would really good A-levels (especially as a result of retakes) partly mitigate the 'ranking' of the university one would have gone to, for example?

If you managed to get decent As levels and got predicted good grades for A2 then you have a chance of a top uni. If you managed to pull it out of the bag and got great A levels, you could take the year out and reapply to unis with your achieved grades. However, it depends what kind of unis we're talking about in terms of adjustment. The very top 10 don't use adjustment, although unis such as York, Leeds etc. have been known to for certain courses.

It would depend on what job you are wanting to go for in terms of employment prospects. If you just had A levels I doubt it would make too much of a difference. I'm not sure many jobs require just A levels anymore. The ranking of your uni really doesn't matter unless you want to be a lawyer in the 'magic circle' or an investment banker.
What if....????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hey there! Last year I found myself in a very similar situation as you but luckily I was able to resit my January AS grades in summer. I have been accepted to York, Surrey and Bristol (for chemistry) and as far as I am aware, they do not look down on resits. I think only Cambridge really look at resits because my peers attained Oxford offers also having done their resists. It also depends on the degree you want to do as well. You do have time to turn it around and hope is certainly not lost (unless your goal was Cambridge). Work hard in your A2's because resist really put the pressure on you. Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Shelly_x
The majority of the top 10 unis won't accept retakes, so it won't help you to get into them.

Wtf Shelly? Top unis don't care if you retake modules AS LONG AS ITS WITHIN THE TWO YEAR PERIOD, stop chatting UTTER BS. Oxford considers students who retake the whole year so shut up. I retook the WHOLE YEAR (year 12) due to extenuating circumstances but STILL managed to get ALL my offers from:
Kings College London
Surrey
Queen Mary
Southampton
Kent

Anyways, I assume OP is talking about resitting modules in Year 13 though? I'd say get your AS grades, apply to which unis you want/will accept you (they base their offers on your predicted grades for A2's mostly, so start conveying you have loads of potential to your teachers, as they are the ones who usually give you your predicted grades!) and then do amazing in your A2s/AS module retakes and get amazing final grades and on results day you can either go to the uni or you can withdraw your offer for the uni you had and reapply for better universities in your gap year! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SuperFly
Wtf Shelly? Top unis don't care if you retake modules AS LONG AS ITS WITHIN THE TWO YEAR PERIOD, stop chatting UTTER BS. Oxford considers students who retake the whole year so shut up. I retook the WHOLE YEAR (year 12) due to extenuating circumstances but STILL managed to get ALL my offers from:
Kings College London
Surrey
Queen Mary
Southampton
Kent

Anyways, I assume OP is talking about resitting modules in Year 13 though? I'd say get your AS grades, apply to which unis you want/will accept you (they base their offers on your predicted grades for A2's mostly, so start conveying you have loads of potential to your teachers, as they are the ones who usually give you your predicted grades!) and then do amazing in your A2s/AS module retakes and get amazing final grades and on results day you can either go to the uni or you can withdraw your offer for the uni you had and reapply for better universities in your gap year! :smile:

I don't think your antagonistic, insulting approach to replying to me was needed.

It is widely known that the very top 10 unis are very selective and prefer your a levels to have been taken over two years. Obviously there are people who they have accepted who have retaken a year, but this is often extenuating circumstances or their application is absolutely amazing. The situation has changed slightly now that they can take as many ABB and above students as they want however, so I grant you that they might not be as selective now.
Reply 8
Original post by Shelly_x
I don't think your antagonistic, insulting approach to replying to me was needed.

It is widely known that the very top 10 unis are very selective and prefer your a levels to have been taken over two years.

It is not widely known as I and many other A2 candidates did not know of this and successfully gained places at high ranked unis. If my friend can gain entry to Oxford with retakes I am pretty sure nearly all uni's accept retakes. I would also say Superfly's approach was not insulting. You made someone believe that they had no hope of getting into a top uni with retakes which is not true.

Wisefire, the best thing to do is to call the administrations office of whatever uni you are applying to because it may depend on the course (medicine might not look at retakes, I highly doubt this though).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Choyboyy
You made someone believe that they had no hope of getting into a top uni with retakes which is not true.

Exactly! I've seen this being done to so many students by other students and even by TEACHERS! Consquently, the students end up going to univeristies with lower standards when they could have been accepted by better universities. From past experience I just can't stand when students, especially teachers, do this to other students and make them feel as if theres no hope, so I got a lil bit passionate haha sorry. Also, if it is for medicine mostly all of the medical schools don't care about retakes as long as you've done your A levels within the two years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending