The Student Room Group

people studying a SCIENCE degree how many hours a day do you work at uni?

im wondering what the workload is like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doob

I study mathematics and I'm there on average from 10-3 every day. I get a lot of assignments/homework to do!
Reply 2
Original post by rayquaza17
I study mathematics and I'm there on average from 10-3 every day. I get a lot of assignments/homework to do!

Thats nowhere near as much as i thought. But are those hours exlcuding the time you spend on assignments?
Original post by Doob
Thats nowhere near as much as i thought. But are those hours exlcuding the time you spend on assignments?

Excluding that.
Reply 4
Excluding that.

how many hours a week do you work including assignments on average?
Original post by Doob
how many hours a week do you work including assignments on average?

I would have to say around 20.
Reply 6
I would have to say around 20.

whaaat? Im at AS level and I do about 20 hours of work a week. You must have photogrpahic memory or something to be putting in 20 hours a week for a Maths degree!
Original post by Doob
whaaat? Im at AS level and I do about 20 hours of work a week. You must have photogrpahic memory or something to be putting in 20 hours a week for a Maths degree!

That's 20 for assignments on average though :L
Reply 8
That's 20 for assignments on average though :L

oooh :frown: so its more like a 50 hour week
I know my sister is doing a science PhD but she's fairly relaxed about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by noshahmad
I know my sister is doing a science PhD but she's fairly relaxed about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

what was working for her degree like?
Original post by Doob
what was working for her degree like?

She has a undergraduate degree in biochemical engineering but she's currently undertaking research as part of her phD, but I know she does most of the written work at home but goes into work to do practicals

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doob

Averaged 25 hours contact time per year probably. More in final year on project work. Up to 40 hours per week+ in lab on final year. (Chemistry)

Extra assignments was probably another 10-20 hours per week depending on when it was.
Reply 13
Original post by Motorbiker
Averaged 25 hours contact time per year probably. More in final year on project work. Up to 40 hours per week+ in lab on final year. (Chemistry)

Extra assignments was probably another 10-20 hours per week depending on when it was.

Im thinking of doing chemistry. so in your first you did around 35 hours of work a week, did you have much time to spend on your hobbies doing your degree? As bad as it sounds, i would really hate to spend 3 years studying my ass off with little free time to enjoy my life.
Original post by Doob
Im thinking of doing chemistry. so in your first you did around 35 hours of work a week, did you have much time to spend on your hobbies doing your degree? As bad as it sounds, i would really hate to spend 3 years studying my ass off with little free time to enjoy my life.

Well, it's less than a full-time job.

I had plenty of free time to do things i wanted to. The trick is just to keep on top of it and not let it build up. E.g If you know you have 3 deadlines in week 4 then get some done early during the free time you have in weeks 1 and 2.

I spent plenty of time lifting throughout uni. 3 times a week for like 95% of uni and twice a week during exams.
Reply 15
Original post by Motorbiker
Well, it's less than a full-time job.

I had plenty of free time to do things i wanted to. The trick is just to keep on top of it and not let it build up. E.g If you know you have 3 deadlines in week 4 then get some done early during the free time you have in weeks 1 and 2.

I spent plenty of time lifting throughout uni. 3 times a week for like 95% of uni and twice a week during exams.

what were your a level chem results like?

I dont really have a passion, i just want a degree, im not bad at chem, but im wondering, what was the step-up from a level chem to degree level? Im just not sure about how hard it is.
Each year I did 4 modules per semester which was 3 hours worth of lectures plus tutorials (in third year a couple of these were two hours) So about 16 hours worth of contact time? However I was in most days.
Original post by Doob
what were your a level chem results like?

I dont really have a passion, i just want a degree, im not bad at chem, but im wondering, what was the step-up from a level chem to degree level? Im just not sure about how hard it is.

A* at A level. But tbh at a level it's memorise these 20 things, regurgitate in exam.

First year at uni is easy. Going over a bit of A level stuff and adding more but it's all simple.

4th year is where the real step up in difficulty was for me. My

Average going into 4th year was 78% and 4th year was probably around 60-65% average.
Original post by Askingquestion16
You only do 20 hours of work a week at AS? I'm doing double that at GCSE...

40 hours a week at GCSE..??
Original post by Askingquestion16
I consider 40 hours to be a good week..

You must work very inefficiently or have a problem remembering things tbh if you have to work that much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending