The Student Room Group

I am worried about the negative implications of a BTEC!

I am studying a Level 3 Business BTEC and I am predicted D* D* D*. On the UCAS website it says on almost all the entry requirements that BTECs are accepted 'in combination with other qualifications'. I achieved mediocre GCSE grades including an A in Maths and a B in English Language; in Year 9 I chose two BTECs for my GCSEs and although I achieved highly in those, I am now worried that they too are going to affect my chances of gaining access to a highly desired Law degree. Can anybody shed some light and give some clarification on what my chances are? I am pretty set on studying at Queen Mary University of London and I understand that (i) this will be competitive and (ii), the college is highly reputable so I feel like candidates with equivalent A Levels will stand a higher chance than me! Very worried.
Hi George. Apologies in advance for this long message! Right. First and foremost, do NOT panic because as far as I'm concerned, you have nothing to worry about (so long as you achieve good grades in your BTEC). We have a lot in common indeed lol... let me fill you in on my situation:

For my GCSE's I got: BBBBB (English language, English Literature, Science Core, Science Additional and Maths.
(so pretty mediocre in my opinion)
I also planned to do Law in Uni and did exactly the same course as you in college and was predicted DDD. Just like you, I checked the UCAS website and panicked like hell. So i called up all the Uni's I wanted to go to and spoke to the Law admissions officer and as it turned out, the phrase "in combination with other qualifications" doesn't necessarily mean you need accompanying A Levels. I think it means GCSEs and stuff... I just asked them straight up if they accepted BTECs and if so what grade would I need and all of them said yes and that I would need DDD.
So I applied for: Queen Mary, Kent, Exeter, Lancaster & Kings College and by around February I received offers (DDD) from all 5 :smile:

Just a few days ago I finished off all my coursework for my BTEC and have achieved only DDD but that's all I needed so I'm happy :smile: can't wait to start UNi in September!

So to conclude, your credentials are better than mine and I managed to get into Queen Mary and even better Uni's (my opinion!) so don't worry. Make sure you get your grades and also make your personal statement amazing. All my tutors said that my personal statement must have really helped me get my offers (it was pretty damn good if I may say so myself!)

I hope I have put your mind at ease buddy!
I wish someone told me all this when I was in your shoes...
Reply 2
How did you get into Kings with Btec? There entry requirements dont say its allowed?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending