Wolf11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm doing my courework and I'm stuck on this part - please tell me what is wrong with this paragraph and how I could improve it. Thanks

"the tighter the ions bind, the less soluble they are because the lattices are harder to break. This can also mean that they need more energy (and therefore heat) to break. To explain, if an ionic bond of a certain salt is relatively strong it will need more energy to dissolve the bonds than a salt with relatively weak bonds. Because the stronger bonds need more energy, they lower the temperature of the solution more. Therefore the most endothermic salts are ones that are quiet stable to need lots of energy but not so stable that they are not soluble in water."
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MarekK)
I'm doing my courework and I'm stuck on this part - please tell me what is wrong with this paragraph and how I could improve it. Thanks

"the tighter the ions bind, the less soluble they are because the lattices are harder to break. This can also mean that they need more energy (and therefore heat) to break. To explain, if an ionic bond of a certain salt is relatively strong it will need more energy to dissolve the bonds than a salt with relatively weak bonds. Because the stronger bonds need more energy, they lower the temperature of the solution more. Therefore the most endothermic salts are ones that are quiet stable to need lots of energy but not so stable that they are not soluble in water."
Solubility is not just a simple as the lattice enthalpy. You must also take into account the hydration enthalpies of the individual ions and the entropy factor.

... also, you need to lose the typo
Wolf11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by charco)
Solubility is not just a simple as the lattice enthalpy. You must also take into account the hydration enthalpies of the individual ions and the entropy factor.

... also, you need to lose the typo
cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads