The Student Room Group

An idea for TSR struck my mind! Add this new service on TSR, please!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViolaPat5
Why cannot the TSR get involved and create a source to learn and speak British accent through TSR?

Why I thought about it was, as the past-paper section on TSR just came in for International Students, why cannot an British accent and British writing skill be taught through TSR? This would be very highly demanded for this website which may not be done in other sites. This would also improve non-Europeans English slang and the will learn to post better over here.

Not only this!

Due to this new service I recommend, will increase the exposure and demand to the student room!

What are your ideas?

Erm... I hate to break it to you, but there's no such thing as a 'British accent' :/ there are many, many different accents and dialects in Britain!

Interesting idea, but you'd need to refine it a little more :smile:
sTAFF

We are moderators, not members of the Community Team. Although suggestions are welcomed please don't mass quote all moderators.
Why cannot the TSR get involved and create a source to learn and speak British accent through TSR?

Why I thought about it was, as the past-paper section on TSR just came in for International Students, why cannot an British accent and British writing skill be taught through TSR? This would be very highly demanded for this website which may not be done in other sites. This would also improve non-Europeans English slang and the will learn to post better over here.

Not only this!

Due to this new service I recommend, will increase the exposure and demand to the student room!

What are your ideas?

Hiya,

I think what would be great is if you set up a thread in the international forum so you all could help each other out with queries and questions about bits of English you may not understand. I don't think it needs to be anything very official but I think it would be nice to have it coming from the community and showing the community helping each other out :yep:
Reply 23
Original post by BlackLipBastard
Lol how is it possible to learn how to speak with a British Accent unless you're an impressionist

To learn to speak like a British is a good thing for non-Europeans.
All are art, but no one needs to an impressionist to learn new things.
It is all about learning new things which is a good service done to students here, mainly students outside UK.
Like you are training volunteers here, teaching British language on a British website is a good social service.
It should be done in a famous student website as yours where even many international students who love to learn the British accent will engage with the site. Majority of the students will engage in the program if you begin it, I am sure!
Reply 24
Original post by cambio wechsel
Strike a light guvnor, your idea is reet gradely and you a canny bairn moy lover.

What?
Reply 25
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Hiya,

I think what would be great is if you set up a thread in the international forum so you all could help each other out with queries and questions about bits of English you may not understand. I don't think it needs to be anything very official but I think it would be nice to have it coming from the community and showing the community helping each other out :yep:

Thanks for responding!
Reply 26
Original post by cah846
Erm... I hate to break it to you, but there's no such thing as a 'British accent' :/ there are many, many different accents and dialects in Britain!

Interesting idea, but you'd need to refine it a little more :smile:

Thanks a lot for showing interest!
I know definitely that there are many British accents.
The accent should be any British.
As far as it is British, it's good.
How do you think I can refine it?
Like you are training volunteers here, teaching British language on a British website is a good social service.

This site doesn't do training, I think you've misunderstood what TSR is.

On this site there are resources which can help learning, not things to replace learning.
Original post by Mr M
Bad mistake to quote me. You'll end up speaking like you have just fallen off a tractor.

#suffolkboi

PRSOM :lol: :lmao:
Reply 29
Original post by Drewski
This site doesn't do training, I think you've misunderstood what TSR is.

On this site there are resources which can help learning, not things to replace learning.

I tried to tell like volunteering of moderators is given training on TSR.
A moderator told mods are trained while volunteering.
On this site there are resources which can help learning, not things to replace learning. That's why I wanted to share my idea to develop a forum to international students who want to learn British English spoken, the way the British pronounce. It is not going to replace learning.
Reply 30
Original post by *Interrobang*
While it's a nice idea I don't think it's workable on a forum cos it's not interactive enough. Also if tsr was to endorse it they would want to monitor it in some way and I don't think that would be easy. Also people on here are predominantly students and therefore not qualified to teach and may not teach you properly

Thanks for showing interest and getting engaged on this thread.:smile:
I tried to mean TSR to teach to pronounce British accent, the way British speak. I think they could teach the students how to pronounce words in the British accent.
Reply 31
Original post by MalteseMalteser
1) Which English accent? There are many English accents, and how are we supposed to teach someone how to pronounce something in a British accent which isn't necessarily our own?

2) Surely the study help section covers writing skills?

3) There is so much English slang that anyone who isn't native to it would struggle to know them all, plus you can't use slang in an exam because you'll get deducted marks. There are plenty of non-English posters on the forums and people seem to be able to understand them easily enough so... :dontknow:

4) Seeing as how TSR is a free website to use, how would increasing the demand for it benefit TSR? Sure it makes it more popular, but then if if was on the free part of the site it wouldn't create any financial benefit for TSR, as it wouldn't persuade more people to subscribe.

5) The majority of users on the site are either British, or users who sometimes become inactive (from my own personal experience), so your suggestions are for people who don't need the help, or who don't use the website anymore. Also, where is the evidence or proof to support that TSR isn't already a very popular site, and that demand for it would increase if this feature is added?

6) I can assume that as people speak differently, and use different terms, let alone have different essay techniques, that any wiki page regarding English accents and writing skills would be constantly updated and there would probably be lots of in-fighting between users editing the page as to what is grammatically correct.

I see where you're going with this, but from my point of view I see no use of it to TSR as a business, and it'd cause so much hassle in trying to keep it afloat, edit when necessary etc., plus the fact that most of the users on TSR including those from abroad already have some knowledge of English language and many of them speak better English than English people, even with better exam technique.

So for me - I'm out.

Sorry, I though there are only British mods over here. I am sorry if you are not British and for quoting you. I talked about British Accent.

2) Surely the study help section covers writing skills?
I talked about the pronouncing skills of British accent.

3) There is so much English slang that anyone who isn't native to it would struggle to know them all, plus you can't use slang in an exam because you'll get deducted marks. There are plenty of non-English posters on the forums and people seem to be able to understand them easily enough so... :dontknow:
But sill, I hope their pronunciation is not the same of the British.
Not for an exam but, to speak nicely and generally like a British.
People seem to reply to non-English posters, but the English doesn't really understand what the non-English mean in their post. They say that the posts of non-English does not make sense. Which is why something is needed to be done to non-English speakers.

4) Seeing as how TSR is a free website to use, how would increasing the demand for it benefit TSR? Sure it makes it more popular, but then if if was on the free part of the site it wouldn't create any financial benefit for TSR, as it wouldn't persuade more people to subscribe.
Yes, you are right!
But, at first I know it's good to do it in the free part.
Once the demand get's higher it can be added under the subscription which many non-English speakers will know it is definitely worth it once other members recommend it to them and those who love to learn will definitely go later through subscription.
See, creating the Tamil Learning Society on the groups which I saw is a free one, but is a good social service and I saw many members typing they would definitely recommend it and would not tell "NO" to free-service.

5) The majority of users on the site are either British, or users who sometimes become inactive (from my own personal experience), so your suggestions are for people who don't need the help, or who don't use the website anymore. Also, where is the evidence or proof to support that TSR isn't already a very popular site, and that demand for it would increase if this feature is added?
TSR is a popular site. I have already told. It is! I wish this feature to be added. I twill be useful for TSR which is what I meant.
As i said already, the Tamil Learning Society on TSR groups already shows TSR is a very popular site and it created a free language to learn for it's members.Teaching should be taught to children as a gift, not as a business which I learnt from that group. That thread on the society is always open and anyone can learn it anytime at any age and it is what is mentioned in that group.

6) I can assume that as people speak differently, and use different terms, let alone have different essay techniques, that any wiki page regarding English accents and writing skills would be constantly updated and there would probably be lots of in-fighting between users editing the page as to what is grammatically correct.
This is going further from what i showed interest in.
I just asked to create a feature to learn to pronounce the way the British does. There's no need of in-fighting. It's just something to type the way a British man/woman speaks/pronounces words in British English. Like pronouncing words bake like baike in British accent.

Then if there should be stress on editing and so on, the Tamil Learning society groups also would of had loads of stress.

Let me tell it clear cut to you and all others.
What my interest of feature I suggested was "How to pronounce words in the British accent. For example: Bake is pronounced as Baike in british accent, Hurry is pronounced as Huh-rry in british accent."

Hope this is clear. I will add this to my main post.

Thanks for taking time and asking me about my idea.:smile:
Reply 32
Original post by de_monies
Hmm I'd imagine this would be quite hard to implement and unfortunately I don't think there's much demand for this ie: lots of labour hours for little gain

I guess someone on TSR could possibly set something up? I saw a thread where a TSR person tried to teach people Tamil. a similar thing could happen here I guess

Also not all people who have coloured usernames are staff BTW :smile:

This is also probably best off in TSR help news & feedback

I fancy and think it's better if the TSR itself does it than giving credit to the members itself. I do think there's much demand for it. Positive thought works far better!

What my interest of feature I suggested was "How to pronounce words in the British accent. For example: Bake is pronounced as Baike in british accent, Hurry is pronounced as Huh-rry in british accent."
Reply 33
Original post by Champagne Supernova
We will always welcome ideas being proposed by members, however, please do not quote all moderators into threads such as these.

Then how am I supposed to know which mods are interested or who would support the feature?
Reply 34
Original post by Motorbiker
I agree with CS about not quoting everyone. If you post it in the correct seciton then the people that are the important ones will see it.

Also, noone you actually quoted is staff. They're either subs or moderators. If you wanted to actually get peoples attention it would be the Community Team that you'd want. Anyway, to the idea...

You want people to learn the british accent or just the types of common british slang?

I have no idea how accent would work over a forum and for any type of slang urbandictionary.com covers it pretty well.

Can you link me the Communtiy team staff?
Then how am I supposed to know which mods are interested or who would support the feature?

We do look at the help and feedback forums from time to time. I personally check AAM far more but I do check this section as well
Can you link me the Communtiy team staff?

The community Team Staff is She-Ra and Captain Jack mainly.

Oh, ok. So pronounciation and not accent. Accent is a slightly different concept i think. I'm not an English student so am not an expert though.

Have you made a thread in the International forum? GEg is right, There may well be demand for a thread like this over there.

And the reason it's not nice to mass quote everyone is people are busy and doing many things and this is basically insisting everyone comes to your thread. If you just post the thread in this fourm then we will see the thread and come post in it anyway without it being pushed on people that don't want to help.

Moderators and staff consistently check this forum and we will often provide feedback or help without being summoned by quote. Quoting us is a feature not to be abused and many of us will not respond having been approached in this fashion.

However, as I say, we always welcome feedback and suggestions from members.
Sorry, I though there are only British mods over here. I am sorry if you are not British and for quoting you. I talked about British Accent.

I talked about the pronouncing skills of British accent.

But sill, I hope their pronunciation is not the same of the British.
Not for an exam but, to speak nicely and generally like a British.
People seem to reply to non-English posters, but the English doesn't really understand what the non-English mean in their post. They say that the posts of non-English does not make sense. Which is why something is needed to be done to non-English speakers.

Yes, you are right!
But, at first I know it's good to do it in the free part.
Once the demand get's higher it can be added under the subscription which many non-English speakers will know it is definitely worth it once other members recommend it to them and those who love to learn will definitely go later through subscription.
See, creating the Tamil Learning Society on the groups which I saw is a free one, but is a good social service and I saw many members typing they would definitely recommend it and would not tell "NO" to free-service.

TSR is a popular site. I have already told. It is! I wish this feature to be added. I twill be useful for TSR which is what I meant.
As i said already, the Tamil Learning Society on TSR groups already shows TSR is a very popular site and it created a free language to learn for it's members.Teaching should be taught to children as a gift, not as a business which I learnt from that group. That thread on the society is always open and anyone can learn it anytime at any age and it is what is mentioned in that group.

This is going further from what i showed interest in.
I just asked to create a feature to learn to pronounce the way the British does. There's no need of in-fighting. It's just something to type the way a British man/woman speaks/pronounces words in British English. Like pronouncing words bake like baike in British accent.

Then if there should be stress on editing and so on, the Tamil Learning society groups also would of had loads of stress.

Hope this is clear. I will add this to my main post.

Thanks for taking time and asking me about my idea.:smile:

2) TSR isn't a teaching website, plus there are no British exams that require oral English examination, I believe, so I don't know how that'd work.

3) Okay, but then that's like saying a British person speaking a non-native language has trouble with pronunciation of that language? Will anything be done for them? Why on TSR specifically? Aren't there online dictionaries that help with pronunciation and things like that? or translation websites already?

4) Economic concepts would show that as soon as you increase the price, less people use it. So if you're going from a price of £0.00 to about £6.99 a month for a subscription, you'd find less people using it. Plus it's not exactly like you can give lessons as such - there're so many nuances in the English language that it'd be painful for people to try and teach, let alone learn, from people who aren't qualified teachers.

5) Okay, so if teaching should be taught to children as a gift, why should TSR do it if schools do it? State-provided schools will teach English and some will teach English abroad, so seek them out? Plus you're saying that it should be a gift, yet you said that people should try it out and then it becomes a subscription package which people have to pay for....but isn't that making it into more of a business? so you're contradicting yourself, no?

6) You're going by the activities in one society, not many, so the actions in that one society might not be reflected into this feature. As for the "which British accent?" (because there are many), you could find that people pronounce "Hurry" as "Hahr-ry" or "Harry".

One of the most famous examples I can think of is:

How do you pronounce "Bath"? is it "Bath" or "Barth"? "Glass" or "Glarsse"? As both are correct depending on which area of the country you come from...
Thanks a lot for showing interest!
I know definitely that there are many British accents.
The accent should be any British.
As far as it is British, it's good.
How do you think I can refine it?

For one thing, find which British accent you want to focus on, and find a good representative for it - maybe offer different accents in each of the different uni forums, so people know what to expect to hear when they apply there?

Work out a pitch explaining how it will benefit TSR and its users, I think it could be a lot of fun but you do need to make a strong case for it :smile: sorry I'm very good at advertising stuff, so I may not be much help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending