Part of a team
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ay-around.html

Disney-owned Marvel Comics, the publisher of X-Men, Spiderman, and The Incredible Hulk, has come under fire for manufacturing 'sexist' T-shirts that portray women as weak, and men as strong.

Two T-shirts based on the popular Avengers comic franchise use the same 'hero' slogan, but play off deeply ingrained traditional gender roles.

A blue shirt for boys declares, 'Be A Hero,' while a red shirt for girls says, 'I Need A Hero.'
username1186351
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
This is literally one of the most trivial issues to get upset about. Out of all the things you can get upset over, people choose this.
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tinglay)
This is literally one of the most trivial issues to get upset about. Out of all the things you can get upset over, people choose this.
The choice to get upset over something does not come at the expense of another issue.
Aivicore
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
As Farm_Ecology said, caring about this doesn't detract from your potential to care about other topics.

The contrast of the two shirts bothers me. People will say "grow up, it's just a t-shirt", etc., but really it's a microcosmic example of what's wrong with how society views men and women. It's a symptom that perpetuates the cause.
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You've dodged the question though. Obviously it isn't as important as other things in the world, but is it sexist? The way you treat children does affect their views, and these t-shirts are clearly implying boys should be active, and girls should be passive. If I had a daughter, that isn't the message I'd want to send to her.

I don't think this is "upsetting", but these people can change the way big companies like Disney market, which they definitely can, I doubt Disney will make a t-shirt like this again because of the bad publicity. That changes the messages children will see, less pidgeon holeing of gender roles, that effects society.

Rather than just whinging vaguely, they're seeing someone they can effect and taking action.
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The fact that this even made the news just goes to show the problem with feminism: every tiny thing just gets blown up into a big deal. I can imagine a headline soon calling gay men sexist because they'll have sex with men and not women

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wade-)
The fact that this even made the news just goes to show the problem with feminism: every tiny thing just gets blown up into a big deal. I can imagine a headline soon calling gay men sexist because they'll have sex with men and not women
It got an article on the Daily Mail website, it isn't on the Six O'Clock news. This is more newsworthy that most of the celebrity crap on that website.

Again, you haven't answered the question.
chzzzz
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wade-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sexism is actually a really big issue you know.
Telecaster Steak
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Since everyone else is just trying to dodge the question I will provide a straight answer: Yes, yes it is.
BankOfPigs
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
This is one of the cases of actual sexism in the western world. It's disappointing to see.

I mean its not even subtle, not sure what on earth they were thinking.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I'd say it is.
SirDigbyChicken
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Yeah, I'd say it is.

You can talk Wiggum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO3hEk9a-Vg
Part of a team
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Mankytoes)
It got an article on the Daily Mail website, it isn't on the Six O'Clock news. This is more newsworthy that most of the celebrity crap on that website.

I tried to quote the exact same story from HUFFPOST, which I'm sure you adore. However, their site is atrocious and keeps freezing my browser every single time I use it so I eventually gave up.
Welsh Bluebird
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No.
Wade-
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mankytoes)

I thought my answer was implied. It's not sexism but if it were then I, as a male, have as much right to complain as a woman but surprise surprise no men are complaining

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cobbler
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Belittling peoples opinions and shouting them down because they have the temerity to ask the question "is this sexist", tells us all we need to know about the protagonist. Are you perhaps feeling threatened?
Cobbler
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wade-)
I thought my answer was implied. It's not sexism but if it were then I, as a male, have as much right to complain as a woman but surprise surprise no men are complaining

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surprise, surprise!
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
yeah, probably, but that doesn't mean it should be banned - if people think it's sexist to the point where they think it shouldn't be bought then that should be their response
Comus
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, it is quite sexist quite frankly it could have been avoided if Marvel had just put some thought into what they were actually doing before they released the t-shirts.
TheSweatyNerd
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Scientifically men are stronger than women though, on average, so I don't see what the problem is?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.84%
Okay (109)
28.99%
A bit lacking (140)
37.23%
Not good at all (90)
23.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed