The Student Room Group

Can you get an A at A-Level with a mid-ranging B at AS?

Is it possible?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, it is. You can get an A*, too.
Original post by Zhy

Hello, I wish you happiness and well-being.

I thought it was only possible with 80% average in AS?
Original post by GuanyinBuddha

Nope and whoever told you so is completely wrong.

As long as you get 80% UMS over the WHOLE A-LEVEL you will get an A.

OP, do you know your UMS scores?
Original post by Zhy

No you can't, you can only get an A* if you got an A at AS (?)

Hmm... I am wondering this also because I've heard of people on TSR who have gotten A* with a B AS but I was told the 80% thing, does it depend on what exam board you're on perhaps?
Original post by Paralove
Nope and whoever told you so is completely wrong.

As long as you get 80% UMS over the WHOLE A-LEVEL you will get an A.

OP, do you know your UMS scores?

Yeah I know that, I was asking about the A* not the A o.o
Original post by Катя

To get an A* you need 80% UMS across the whole A-Level in combination with 90% UMS in your A2 only. So actually, you can still get an A* even with a borderline C at AS.
Original post by LouieSax
Hmm... I am wondering this also because I've heard of people on TSR who have gotten A* with a B AS but I was told the 80% thing, does it depend on what exam board you're on perhaps?

I don't know, everyone in my school told me it's impossible with a B at AS, so I just gave up on the A* haha ^^'
To get an A* you need 80% UMS across the whole A-Level in combination with 90% UMS in your A2 only. So actually, you can still get an A* even with a borderline C at AS.

That doesn't make sense at all :s-smilie:
Yes you can get an A and an A* is also possible.

Hmm. Same here because in one of my subjects I had an A overall at AS with one module being a B so does that stop me from getting the A* (Doubt I'll get it though but it'll be good to know either way) I thought you had to have 80% at AS or higher in every module and 90% or higher in every module at A2 or am I wrong ?
Original post by Катя

Wrong.
Yeah I know that, I was asking about the A* not the A o.o

I don't know, everyone in my school told me it's impossible with a B at AS, so I just gave up on the A* haha ^^'

I misread your first one. Oops.

And why doesn't it? It's simple. You need 60% UMS at AS to get a C. If you get 100% UMS at A2/ this averages out at 80% (assuming you do 4 units, two in each year) and you have also got over 90% in A2 so you get an A*!
Original post by LouieSax
Hmm. Same here because in one of my subjects I had an A overall at AS with one module being a B so does that stop me from getting the A* (Doubt I'll get it though but it'll be good to know either way) I thought you had to have 80% at AS or higher in every module and 90% or higher in every module at A2 or am I wrong ?

For an A* you need an average of 80% across ALL AS and A2 units and an average of 90% across the A2 units.
That doesn't make sense at all :s-smilie:

Yes it does, you need better comprehension skills lol.
I misread your first one. Oops.

And why doesn't it? It's simple. You need 60% UMS at AS to get a C. If you get 100% UMS at A2/ this averages out at 80% (assuming you do 4 units, two in each year) and you have also got over 90% in A2 so you get an A*!

I've been told thus far, by both my teachers and peers that A* is only attainable with an overall 80% in AS, I'm nearly at the end of A2, I've been lied to? :'(
Original post by Tinglay
Yes it does, you need better comprehension skills lol.

And you need better communication skills :smile:
I've been told thus far, by both my teachers and peers that A* is only attainable with an overall 80% in AS, I'm nearly at the end of A2, I've been lied to? :'(

Yep. Your teachers are wrong. So many teachers don't know how the A* thing works, it's ridiculous!

Yes you were.

Quick Reply

Latest