physicso
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The question is number 14 from June 2010 Paper... apparently the hardest on the paper (multiple choice).

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JUN10.PDF

Apparently the charges on top left and bottom right (+Q and -Q) cancel, but i really don't know why.

I'm self teaching so i guess my main problem is a don't really know what electric potential is. my book says it's the amount of potential energy a point charge would have at a point within an electric field.

Following this i just can't understand why the point charges cancel.

If anyone could help at all, really basic explanation, i would massively appreciate it. thanks.
Stonebridge
Badges: 10
Report 5 years ago
First: What is the distance from each charge to the point P? Call it x for the moment. (Pythagoras will help)

The potential due to the 3 positive charges at that point is
Q/4πϵox + Q/4πϵox + Q/4πϵox = 3Q/4πϵox
and due to the negative charge is
-Q/4πϵx

So the total is 2Q/4πϵox = Q/2πϵox

Now find x (It's fairly simple geometry with Pythagoras.)
physicso
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Stonebridge)
First: What is the distance from each charge to the point P? Call it x for the moment. (Pythagoras will help)

The potential due to the 3 positive charges at that point is
Q/4πϵox + Q/4πϵox + Q/4πϵox = 3Q/4πϵox
and due to the negative charge is
-Q/4πϵx

So the total is 2Q/4πϵox = Q/2πϵox

Now find x (It's fairly simple geometry with Pythagoras.)
Got it, thanks
BigBadJFly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've just done this paper (and got it right )

The 2 positive charges opposite each other cancel out, as the force that they would exert on a charged + particle at P would be equal and opposite

Then, as the other 2 charges both exert the same magnitude of force on a + charge at P, you can say that the elec. pot., V=2(Q/4piEroot2a) as by pythagoras, They are root2a away from P, and this gives you A
Stonebridge
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BigBadJFly)
I've just done this paper (and got it right )

The 2 positive charges opposite each other cancel out, as the force that they would exert on a charged + particle at P would be equal and opposite

Then, as the other 2 charges both exert the same magnitude of force on a + charge at P, you can say that the elec. pot., V=2(Q/4piEroot2a) as by pythagoras, They are root2a away from P, and this gives you A

Please be careful here. (Even though you got it right. The thought process could lead to an incorrect answer in a different question.)

The fact that the forces cancel out has nothing to do with the electric potential. Force is about electric field strength, not potential.
You have mixed up the concepts of electric potential and electric field strength.
This question is about potential, not force.
You got the correct answer but by an incorrect line of reasoning. In multi choice it doesn't matter. You get the mark, of course. In a long question you could lose marks for this.
It's actually the electric potential due to the positive and negative charges at opposite corners that "cancel out". The potential due to the one is plus and due to the other is minus an equal amount. The resulting potential is then just the sum of the potentials due to the other two charges.
BigBadJFly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Please be careful here. (Even though you got it right. The thought process could lead to an incorrect answer in a different question.)

The fact that the forces cancel out has nothing to do with the electric potential. Force is about electric field strength, not potential.
You have mixed up the concepts of electric potential and electric field strength.
This question is about potential, not force.
You got the correct answer but by an incorrect line of reasoning. In multi choice it doesn't matter. You get the mark, of course. In a long question you could lose marks for this.
It's actually the electric potential due to the positive and negative charges at opposite corners that "cancel out". The potential due to the one is plus and due to the other is minus an equal amount. The resulting potential is then just the sum of the potentials due to the other two charges.
So have I got the wrong 2 cancelling out?

I thought that the potential was something to do with the path a positive charge would take?
Stonebridge
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BigBadJFly)
So have I got the wrong 2 cancelling out?

I thought that the potential was something to do with the path a positive charge would take?
No. That's electric field.
Potential is a measure of the potential energy a charge has in a field.
BigBadJFly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, ok thanks
Boobadoowupski
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is what I did, spent like half an hour, then found out it was wrong. If you can use what I did to get past your problem though and then find the right method, please share!

Spoiler:
Show
We're using the equation V=kQ/r (where k is the 1/(4pi*epsilon naught) stuff)

1. The top left and bottom right cancel, because if you add up the electric potential from each one, they cancel- because one is positive, the other negative, and they are equidistant from P.

2. Bottom left and top right are both positive, so won't cancel. However, because they are symmetrically opposite and again both the same distant from the middle, we can effectively consider them as one contributor with double the charge.

Therefore we get V=k*2Q/r

Use pythagoras to find the length of the diagonals (2a*sqrt(2)), which is double the distance from one corner to the middle, which is r. So r=rt(2)a.

V=2kQ/rt2a, =Q/(2rt(2)*a*pi*Eo)

AW balls that's A and the answer's C. Will have to wait for someone else to have a go...

EDIT: Ignore that, for some reasons on the examiner's report it's got the answer noted as C not A... Just wasted almost two hours trying to see why. Bloody Physics, I don't have time for panicking! :unimpressed:
Stonebridge
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boobadoowupski)
This is what I did, spent like half an hour, then found out it was wrong. If you can use what I did to get past your problem though and then find the right method, please share!

Spoiler:
Show
We're using the equation V=kQ/r (where k is the 1/(4pi*epsilon naught) stuff)

1. The top left and bottom right cancel, because if you add up the electric potential from each one, they cancel- because one is positive, the other negative, and they are equidistant from P.

2. Bottom left and top right are both positive, so won't cancel. However, because they are symmetrically opposite and again both the same distant from the middle, we can effectively consider them as one contributor with double the charge.

Therefore we get V=k*2Q/r

Use pythagoras to find the length of the diagonals (2a*sqrt(2)), which is double the distance from one corner to the middle, which is r. So r=rt(2)a.

V=2kQ/rt2a, =Q/(2rt(2)*a*pi*Eo)

AW balls that's A and the answer's C. Will have to wait for someone else to have a go...

The right method is in post 2.
Boobadoowupski
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The right method is in post 2.
I got it, AQA screwing me over again...

Also, your profile gif thing is hypnotic, love it :P
FishLover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
X
Your answers are extremely helpful but it took me such a long time to read them because of your incredibly distracting avatar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads