The Student Room Group

Would I still have a chance of getting in?

Hi, im currently studying a BTEC Extended Level 3 Diploma in IT at college, and will be finishing in the next few weeks. My firm choice for Uni is a conditional offer for Computer Science BSc at Loughborough University.
The conditions of the offer are:

DDD in my BTEC

Distinction In extra 'Mathematics for IT Practitioners' Unit (Computational Maths)

B in GCSE Maths

I'm supposed to be getting a D*D*D* in my diploma, and will definitely get the Distinction in the computational maths unit.
The problem I have is the GCSE Maths - I currently have a C, and after a nightmare earlier this academic year, my college finally got me on the GCSE Maths course (In February). My first exam is next Monday, and because of the amount of BTEC work Ive had, Ive barely had any time to revise, and I'm having doubts about getting the B.
My tutor said hes pretty certain I'd still get in, but im unsure about it.

Do you think I would still get in with a D*D*D*, a Distinction in CompMaths, and a C in GCSE?
Also, my tutor said hes written me one of the best and most personalised references hes ever done, which will probably mention my advanced programming skills, so would this help too?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
The best thing to do is do contact Loughborough... Explain your situation to admissions. Only they can give you an accurate answer. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by WorldPharmacist
The best thing to do is do contact Loughborough... Explain your situation to admissions. Only they can give you an accurate answer. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, Ill probably email them.
If they have made a GCSE one of the conditions of the offer, they are less likely to be flexible. If it didn't matter, they would have had no need to specify it and it's likely that you will struggle on the course if you can't attain this level.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
If they have made a GCSE one of the conditions of the offer, they are less likely to be flexible. If it didn't matter, they would have had no need to specify it and it's likely that you will struggle on the course if you can't attain this level.

Its not that I can't do the Maths, a lot of the stuff i program is very mathematical. The problem is my college were a pain in the arse about it and Ive barely had time to revise for the exam.
Get the Mathswatch apps and cram two or three days before. You only need 50% for a B and some A* topics like stratified sampling are easier than D topics in my opinion. I did this and got an A*, despite being in a low set throughout school and only being taught C stuff. I think you'll find it relatively straightforward since your university course and BTEC presumably use maths. Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Civil Dispute
Get the Mathswatch apps and cram two or three days before. You only need 50% for a B and some A* topics like stratified sampling are easier than D topics in my opinion. I did this and got an A*, despite being in a low set throughout school and only being taught C stuff. I think you'll find it relatively straightforward since your university course and BTEC presumably use maths. Good luck!

Thanks, will do. I got an A in a past paper recently, and got a few B grades before. School was a really crap time, but now i enjoy Maths so I seem to pick stuff up more quickly. I think the pressure of it is getting to me as I haven't done an exam since school 2 years ago!
Original post by BitZero
Its not that I can't do the Maths, a lot of the stuff i program is very mathematical. The problem is my college were a pain in the arse about it and Ive barely had time to revise for the exam.

I hope you are able to swot up in time. If you are comfortable with maths, then it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending