The Student Room Group

Longitudinal Waves Question

Just a quick question: Why can't longitudinal waves travel through space?

I've done some google searches but the answers lack any kind of clarity and seem to be written by 10 year olds for 10 year olds :/ I'm looking for in particular why they can't, yet transverse waves can! Thanks in advance :smile:
Apart from light (which can be considered as photons) which transverse waves are you thinking of that can travel through space?
Original post by Audi

I've done some google searches but the answers lack any kind of clarity and seem to be written by 10 year olds for 10 year olds :/ I'm looking for in particular why they can't, yet transverse waves can! Thanks in advance :smile:

by space are we talking about vacuum?

is travelling through vacuum a general property of transverse waves do you think or is it specific to some waves and not others?

some transverse waves
pond ripples - can they go through a vacuum i.e. if you take the water away?

transverse wave in a slinky spring - do they go through a vacuum i.e. if you take the slinky away?

maybe if you ask google a more tightly defined question you'll get a more satisfactory answer.
Reply 3
Original post by Stonebridge
Apart from light (which can be considered as photons) which transverse waves are you thinking of that can travel through space?

Well I was originally thinking gamma vs sound, why exactly can't sound travel through a vacuum. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
by space are we talking about vacuum?

is travelling through vacuum a general property of transverse waves do you think or is it specific to some waves and not others?

some transverse waves
pond ripples - can they go through a vacuum i.e. if you take the water away?

transverse wave in a slinky spring - do they go through a vacuum i.e. if you take the slinky away?

maybe if you ask google a more tightly defined question you'll get a more satisfactory answer.

Yes, a vacuum.

I'm not gunna lie I don't really understand what you're getting at :/ Yes I've tried several differently worded questions but to no avail unfortunately :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Audi

Longitudinal waves need a medium to compress. The particles are pushed and pulls to form areas of compression and rarefraction. However in a vacuum this is not possible as it is empty - no medium - no particles!

Hope this helps, :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by hprynne
Longitudinal waves need a medium to compress. The particles are pushed and pulls to form areas of compression and rarefraction. However in a vacuum this is not possible as it is empty - no medium - no particles!

Hope this helps, :smile:

hey yeah this is what I'm looking for thanks, one quick question if I may, surely that means that transverse waves suffer the same issue?
Original post by Audi
Well I was originally thinking gamma vs sound, why exactly can't sound travel through a vacuum. :smile:

The reason sound can't travel through a vacuum is that sound needs a medium (solid, liquid or gas with real vibrating molecules) and not because it is a longitudinal wave. Any wave which is made up of a mechanical oscillation, and this is the case for sound waves and water waves, needs some material to vibrate. A vacuum is, by definition, no material. So there is nothing to vibrate. It doesn't matter if the wave is transverse or longitudinal, if it is a mechanical wave it will not travel through a vacuum.

Light is very special. It is not a mechanical wave. It is an electromagnetic wave. It does not need a medium. The fact that it behaves like a transverse wave does not logically imply that transverse waves can travel through a vacuum but longitudinal can not.
Reply 8
Original post by Audi
hey yeah this is what I'm looking for thanks, one quick question if I may, surely that means that transverse waves suffer the same issue?

To be honest, I am not entirely sure... However, I think it's due to the way energy is transferred. Due to the perpendicular movement of transverse waves, they can transfer matter using tiny electric/magnetic fields, unlike longitudinal waves which need vibrating matter. I'm basing the above on internet research, but I guess it makes sense.. Sorry if this isn't much use!

Quick Reply

Latest