Can someone become addicted of playing games?

Watch
C.Lazander
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This is one of the questions that we are debating during the English Conversation lessons. I love debating, but not when it comes to talk about games or technology. .. However, I really want to hear others' opinions about this and What can be done in order to get rid of this addiction? :confused:
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is definitely possible, but is usually referred to as "excessive gaming" rather than an "addiction". An addiction usually involves a physiological and psychological dependency on a scientifically proven harmful substance. Here, gaming 'addictions' are psychological dependencies that, at best, cause you to lose some sleep, and at worst, can break real world relationships, sink gamers into depressive states and cause an almost schizophrenic-like reaction. Games offer a similar "detachment" from the real world as TV shows and movies but offer the same first-person experience as drugs. They are therefore a very different kettle of fish.

For the purpose of this post, I'm going to refer to MMORPG's more so than consoles, as these are more likely to generate addictions. For someone who is heavily dependent on an MMORPG, it's worth understanding why a psychological need has developed. Is it as a result of childhood rejection from peers, causing the subject to engross themselves with relationships where such rejection can be dealt with much more easily? Is it a result of low self-esteem and the euphoric wins that the game can offer?

To break the dependency, the root cause must be eliminated. If it's low self-esteem and the need to feel superior, then there has to be a way to get this feeling outside of the game. If it's down to a complete breakdown of real world relationships, then these must be focused on.

It's a tough one, but the answer to this question are similar to the answers for people with drug or alcohol addictions. It's showing that person that the real world is better than their escapist fantasy, and that's no easy feat.
Mav455
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am. Well I used to be, kinda been playing less due to exams lol. Cant wait for them to be over LOL!
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes.....?
C.Lazander
Rep:
?
However, it can be very dangerous! I see it every day at my brother. There are more than 3 years since he plays only a game and this is League of Legends. And he wins most of the time, but u don't want to see him when he loses. He gets so furious and he punched me a few times when I asked him in a funny way if he lost which I knew he did.
I can't understand why he doesn't get bored of playing the same game the hole day
_Emanuele_
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by C.Lazander)
However, it can be very dangerous! I see it every day at my brother. There are more than 3 years since he plays only a game and this is League of Legends. And he wins most of the time, but u don't want to see him when he loses. He gets so furious and he punched me a few times when I asked him in a funny way if he lost which I knew he did.
I can't understand why he doesn't get bored of playing the same game the hole day
Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one with a brother like that!
C.Lazander
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Emanuele_)
Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one with a brother like that!
Do u know what is the funny thing here? That your name is Emanuele and my brother's name is Emanuel. I swear to God I'm saying the truth.
_Emanuele_
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do u know what is the funny thing here? That your name is Emanuele and my brother's name is Emanuel. I swear to God I'm saying the truth.
Lol, wow.
C.Lazander
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Emanuele_)
Lol, wow.
Ya
Tom_green_day
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course, if you have an addictive personality you can get addicted to just about anything...
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes.

In the end gambling is just a game, money or no money, and people are addicted to it.

Football is just a game, and people are addicted to it, even just watching it. So addicted that riots are a common sight over football matches.

Flappy Bird was famous for being addictive (although I personally found it boring and didnt understand what all the hype was about)

By the nature of addiction it's something that you don't want to live without, this can be applied to any chemical or physical activity there is. Some are just more known for being addictive than others.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's been the topic of a number of studies. Addictions to gaming and social networking have both been formally recognized. If I remember right, that is.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone can be addicted to anything, just as too much of anything is a bad thing. Chocolate isn't bad for you, too much is. Water is good for you, until you drink so much you 'drown'.
EastGuava
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
An addiction to a game would die down eventually, I'd think...
BigBadJFly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EastGuava)
An addiction to a game would die down eventually, I'd think...
Yeah I seem to just get bored of games really quickly

Can understand being addicted to football tho, especially at WC time, but I still get bored of that quickly if I can't get out and play myself
keimastudnt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's quite dangerous. When a person is addicted to playing a game, he/she could do something unthinkable and can bring harm to people around him/her uncontrollably - which is influenced by some of the violent games. However when a person is an amateur to these games, it's common to get addicted to it. The only solution is to eliminate or get rid of the root cause.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by keimastudnt)
That's quite dangerous. When a person is addicted to playing a game, he/she could do something unthinkable and can bring harm to people around him/her uncontrollably - which is influenced by some of the violent games. However when a person is an amateur to these games, it's common to get addicted to it. The only solution is to eliminate or get rid of the root cause.
People are looking at the wrong thing. Look at what you're quoting again. He got mad when he LOST.

As stating-the-bloody-obvious studies have shown, people don't get aggressive playing 'violent' games, they actually get more aggressive when they're playing something frustrating - whether it be difficulty, bad controls, unfair gameplay etc. This is for people who play games a lot and people who never played at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (70)
12.13%
Virtual campus tours/open days (141)
24.44%
Live streaming events (50)
8.67%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (54)
9.36%
A uni comparison tool (134)
23.22%
An in-person event when available (128)
22.18%