The Student Room Group

computer science or drama

hi there i have a question about the following i'm in year 9 and i'm choosing my gcses and i'm in a serve dilemma in what to choose so its either drama or computer science well for drama i'm a b and my teacher said that she can easily get the a* and computer science i haven't got a grade as they only teach for gcse in year 10 however its obvious what to choose right but the only doubt i have with drama is that i have to learn a load of line in this i'm TERRIBLE AT but computer science i might find it really really boring and i don't particularly like maths so people who are reading this could you help me and lead me in the right direction by giving what i will learn etc

many thanks chris
Reply 1
Original post by chris2791
hi there i have a question about the following i'm in year 9 and i'm choosing my gcses and i'm in a serve dilemma in what to choose so its either drama or computer science well for drama i'm a b and my teacher said that she can easily get the a* and computer science i haven't got a grade as they only teach for gcse in year 10 however its obvious what to choose right but the only doubt i have with drama is that i have to learn a load of line in this i'm TERRIBLE AT but computer science i might find it really really boring and i don't particularly like maths so people who are reading this could you help me and lead me in the right direction by giving what i will learn etc

many thanks chris

So, what are the advantages of taking computer science in your opinion?
Seems like you don't seem interested in the subject to me - just the impression I get, am I wrong?

Do you have a career in mind? It might be worth thinking about if you haven't already :yes:
For example, it might be worth choosing one if your career choice would link into it.

What other subjects are you taking?

Gah, so many questions, sorry :wink:
Reply 2
If I were you, I'd look at each subject and decide if it's useful to you and good for keeping as many opportunities open to you in the future as possible since your interests will likely change. Will drama really be that useful to you?

I wasn't interested in music back in GCSE, it was only later on down the line I became interested in it and wished I took it at GCSE since now I have to pay for music lessons. Wish I hadn't picked food tech. The most useless subject ever :sigh:
(edited 9 years ago)
You would learn interesting things about computers as well as programming in Computer Science. That is if you like computers.

If acting and performance is more your thing, then do Drama, where you'll learn about script writing, as well as different types of theatre and stuff...
Reply 4

many thanks chris

Hi,

Although i dont really know what the gcse computer science course involves, i have done drama gcse and just recently come to the end of it. From my experiences i would definitely say that drama isnt a hard subject but rather very time consuming i.e. You have to attend rehearsals very frequently. You have to be committed to do as well as possible. But its also very fun and i personally think that its the only lesson where you acc have just about full control and do what you want to do! I will say that its helped to develop my confidence greatly.

As for learning the lines (my exam board was edexcel - this meant that i had to do a final performance at the end of the course worth 40%), i can assure you that it isnt as hard as it seems. We had about three months to create a performance from a script. I can tell you that i never actually remember going home once and trying to learn my lines - it was just something that happened in the lessons and the more we practised particular scenes the more i memorised my lines. (I dont think anyone out of our whole gcse drama group forgot their lines on the day)

Wish you the best of luck with whatever u choose and if u do take drama and ever need any help feel free to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Caitlin_3008
Seems like you don't seem interested in the subject to me - just the impression I get, am I wrong?

Do you have a career in mind? It might be worth thinking about if you haven't already :yes:
For example, it might be worth choosing one if your career choice would link into it.

umm you are kinda right but i do like to know whats behind a computer but my fear is loads of studying and its very hard to get an A and also i dont like maths is that problem and drama im garenteeded the A*
Reply 6
umm you are kinda right but i do like to know whats behind a computer but my fear is loads of studying and its very hard to get an A and also i dont like maths is that problem and drama im garenteeded the A*

You aren't guaranteed anything, so be careful with that...

Erm, well, what do you want to do as a career?
Are you taking mainly academic or creative subjects?
Reply 7
Original post by Caitlin_3008

no problem so obviously taking my compulsory subject dubble english dubble math tripple science pe and then my own choice history psycology business econmics and computering

Quick Reply