GCSEs need me
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Anyone up for translating a bit of GCSE latin for me? Sadly, the mark schemes don't have a translation of the unseen passages in the Latin language papers...

"non semper bonum est, senatores, sequi mores a maioribus traditos. Nunc tamen quid accidet si servi dominos sine poena necare possunt? Num creditis hunc servum solum sine aliis consilia sua paravisse? Nonne ceteri sciebant quid hic unus vellet facere?"

His verbis Cassius senatoribus persuadere conabatur ut omnes servos Pedanii, et scelestos et fideles, punirent. Nonnulli timebant ne innocentes sic poenas iniustas darent. Sed tam vehementer Cassius apud senatores locutus erat ut nemo contra sententiam eius ire auderet. Senatores igitur, paucis resistentibus, milites statim emirserunt ad omnes servos Pedanii occidendos."

NAMES:
Cassius, Cassii (m) - Cassius
Pedanius, Pedanii (m) - Pedanius

VOCAB:
mos, moris (m) - tradition
maiores, maiorum (m pl) - ancestors
innocens, innocentis - innocent
iniustus, iniusta, iniustum - unfair
sententia, sententiae (f) - opinion

Help is much appreciated! Thanks
Bazbaz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is not always good, senators, to follow the traditions handed over by ancestors. Now however what will happen if slaves are able to kill masters without punishment? or do you believe this slave prepared this plan alone without others? Surely the others were knowing what this one wanted to do?

With these words Cassius tried to persuade the senators that all of pedanius' slaves, both wicked and faithful, should be punished. Some were being afraid that the innocents should not be given this unfair punishment. But Cassius spoke so violently among the senators that no one dared to go against his opinion. The senators therefore, with few having resisted, at once sent soldiers to kill all the slaves of Pedanius.

I think it's that roughly. i could be wrong, I haven't checked through or anything, sorry.
GCSEs need me
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Bazbaz)
It is not always good, senators, to follow the traditions handed over by ancestors. Now however what will happen if slaves are able to kill masters without punishment? or do you believe this slave prepared this plan alone without others? Surely the others were knowing what this one wanted to do?

With these words Cassius tried to persuade the senators that all of pedanius' slaves, both wicked and faithful, should be punished. Some were being afraid that the innocents should not be given this unfair punishment. But Cassius spoke so violently among the senators that no one dared to go against his opinion. The senators therefore, with few having resisted, at once sent soldiers to kill all the slaves of Pedanius.

I think it's that roughly. i could be wrong, I haven't checked through or anything, sorry.
Thank you so much, you are a lifesaver - no, please don't be sorry, that's very kind of you and most probably a million times better than anything I could do!
Bazbaz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GCSEs need me)
Thank you so much, you are a lifesaver - no, please don't be sorry, that's very kind of you and most probably a million times better than anything I could do!
Always happy to do a bit of impromptu latin this close to the exam Good luck for Monday!
NikolaT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hehe I remember this paper.

(Original post by Bazbaz)

Whilst unlikely to make much of a difference in terms of the big picture, 'having resisted' I think could be more literally translated to 'resisting'.
Bazbaz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NikolaT)
Hehe I remember this paper.

Whilst unlikely to make much of a difference in terms of the big picture, 'having resisted' I think could be more literally translated to 'resisting'.
Yeah I know, but I've come across some mark schemes that are picky about the AA so I just keep it like that to make it clearer... but I agree it makes very little difference.
BCMFM16
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Noli me tangere - Do not touch me
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GCSEs need me)
Anyone up for translating a bit of GCSE latin for me? Sadly, the mark schemes don't have a translation of the unseen passages in the Latin language papers...

"non semper bonum est, senatores, sequi mores a maioribus traditos. Nunc tamen quid accidet si servi dominos sine poena necare possunt? Num creditis hunc servum solum sine aliis consilia sua paravisse? Nonne ceteri sciebant quid hic unus vellet facere?"

His verbis Cassius senatoribus persuadere conabatur ut omnes servos Pedanii, et scelestos et fideles, punirent. Nonnulli timebant ne innocentes sic poenas iniustas darent. Sed tam vehementer Cassius apud senatores locutus erat ut nemo contra sententiam eius ire auderet. Senatores igitur, paucis resistentibus, milites statim emirserunt ad omnes servos Pedanii occidendos."

NAMES:
Cassius, Cassii (m) - Cassius
Pedanius, Pedanii (m) - Pedanius

VOCAB:
mos, moris (m) - tradition
maiores, maiorum (m pl) - ancestors
innocens, innocentis - innocent
iniustus, iniusta, iniustum - unfair
sententia, sententiae (f) - opinion

Help is much appreciated! Thanks
I'd go more Englishy:

"Gentlemen, it is not always a good thing to follow the customs laid down by our ancestors. Here, for instance: what will happen if slaves are able to [gang up and] kill their masters without punishment? Or do you believe that this slave hatched his plan himself, all on his own, without anyone else? But surely there were others who knew what this man wanted to do."

With these words, Cassius strove to guide the will of the Senate [lit. "senators"] to the retribution of all of Pedanius's slaves, both wicked and faithful. A few were disquieted, that innocents would be subjected to such an unjust punishment; but so forcefully did Cassius speak [that day] in the house of the Senate, that no-one dared to speak [lit. "go"] against his will. And so, with [such] little resistance, did the Senate [lit. "senators"] send forth troops without delay to kill all of Pedanius's slaves.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (699)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (880)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads