Turn on thread page Beta

Firefox - about:config watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this is strictly dev, but it's about tweaking firefox - and dosen't seem to fit anywhere else - apoligies if it does....

Anywho...
    I often download torrents and simultaneously use firefox. The problem is that Utorrent takes all my bandwidth - websites take ageees to load and often timeout. Is there any way to give firefox 'priority' over my internet connection, so that websites will always load?

Many thanks :)

ReputationRep:
    In your router configuration (usually you have a web interface at your gateway IP address - e.g. http://192.168.1.1/ ), you can adjust Quality of Service (QoS) settings. You can assign HTTP traffic (port 80) to high and torrent traffic to low.

Or you can just restrict how much bandwidth uTorrent uses.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot. Could you clarify how to get to the router configuration please?
    How do i find out my gateway IP?

ReputationRep:
    Start -> Run -> cmd

Type ipconfig and hit enter. It should show the gateway address for your ethernet connection.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    This is all assuming that you have a router to configure. It's hardware - a router allows Internet connections to be shared accross multiple PCs. If you don't have a router, you can't configure it. :P

ReputationRep:
    of course.
    I thought router was the american word for modem.

It sounds fussy but i only want firefox to take bandwidth when a website is loading, so to alow the other programs to use it - otherwise i would limit utorrent. Can this be done without a router?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Americans call routers "rowt-ers", it's really strange.

There may be some sort of program that does that sort of thing, I don't know of any myself. Someone might come along with some obscure solution, otherwise, it's time to crawl around on Google.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.