The Student Room Group

Results Day Regret Stories (For Motivation)

We have all lost our motivation to study at one point or another.

There are many thread on here discussing "Success" stories, and personally this has boosted my confidence about my upcoming exam, so much so that I have become careless.

Now its time to tell those dark stories about our Results Day failures and regrets. Fear is as much and maybe even a better deterrent of procrastination than hope is.

But remember tell your story only if procrastination was the main cause of your failure.

Reply 1
Ill go first.

I am in Year 12, last year I sat my GCSE's.
I was predicted 7A*'s and 3 A's.
These were the results of the mocks we sat in February/March.
After receiving my prediction I become so laid back that I did next to no revision, even up till the day before my first exam.
the majority of the time I had spent watching random TV's series'.

On the day of my first exam, I felt incredibly sick as it was only then that I realised how unprepared that I was. In the exam hall, I could only see confident faces and I nearly broke down during my first exam.

After that there was no return, I knew I had messed it up. I ended up depressed over the summer holidays, and on the day of the results I found out that I had received 4A's 3B's and 3C's.
it was possibly the worst day of my entire life.

This year I have been working hard, but am falling again into the same trap, and once again, due to wasting away my time.
Original post by arrow900
Ill go first.

I am in Year 12, last year I sat my GCSE's.
I was predicted 7A*'s and 3 A's.
These were the results of the mocks we sat in February/March.
After receiving my prediction I become so laid back that I did next to no revision, even up till the day before my first exam.
the majority of the time I had spent watching random TV's series'.

On the day of my first exam, I felt incredibly sick as it was only then that I realised how unprepared that I was. In the exam hall, I could only see confident faces and I nearly broke down during my first exam.

After that there was no return, I knew I had messed it up. I ended up depressed over the summer holidays, and on the day of the results I found out that I had received 4A's 3B's and 3C's.
it was possibly the worst day of my entire life.This year I have been working hard, but am falling again into the same trap, and once again, due to wasting away my time.

don't you think you're tiring yourself out? you should keep some of the energy for the exams
I've always been considered more intelligent by my teachers etc.. And always had enough motivation till half way through my exams. In year 10, I did my French and Maths gcse's and somehow came out with a*s. then year 11 comes along and I studied up till December. Then it went downhill. I thought I was too smart and ended the GCSE year with 3a* 4a and 3bs. I thought I did really well but I got kicked out of the private school I was on a bursary because I missed days, failed my mocks and they just did not think I would do make the most of my education. I started AS last year at a top sixth-form college, but no-one paid attention to me because it was so large. At secondary school, if I stepped out of line, I would be punished. Here, if I stepped out of line, I would be praised by my friends and no one would care. At AS level, I did absolutely nothing. I think I revised a week before because my friends were. Ended the year with 2b's an e and u. The exams we take are not about how clever you are or about how you can get by your teachers. They are about your ability to work solidly and hard. The opportunities for our generation is too thin to chance. Don't waste your time otherwise you'll waster a large proportion of your time playing catch up. This year I am retaking and hoping to get the best I can. There's no sugar coating on the A's, people work incredibly hard to get them. The ones who claim to get them with no work are not truthful or make study a habit. I flopped, don't make the same mistake. That awful feeling in the stomach the night before results day becomes 10 times worse if you don't do well. Make sure you do your best and you won't have to worry.

I know this might be a lot to digest but I have to live with it. Make sure you don't.

Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by Thestudentreem
I've always been considered more intelligent by my teachers etc.. And always had enough motivation till half way through my exams. In year 10, I did my French and Maths gcse's and somehow came out with a*s. then year 11 comes along and I studied up till December. Then it went downhill. I thought I was too smart and ended the GCSE year with 3a* 4a and 3bs. I thought I did really well but I got kicked out of the private school I was on a bursary because I missed days, failed my mocks and they just did not think I would do make the most of my education. I started AS last year at a top sixth-form college, but no-one paid attention to me because it was so large. At secondary school, if I stepped out of line, I would be punished. Here, if I stepped out of line, I would be praised by my friends and no one would care. At AS level, I did absolutely nothing. I think I revised a week before because my friends were. Ended the year with 2b's an e and u. The exams we take are not about how clever you are or about how you can get by your teachers. They are about your ability to work solidly and hard. The opportunities for our generation is too thin to chance. Don't waste your time otherwise you'll waster a large proportion of your time playing catch up. This year I am retaking and hoping to get the best I can. There's no sugar coating on the A's, people work incredibly hard to get them. The ones who claim to get them with no work are not truthful or make study a habit. I flopped, don't make the same mistake. That awful feeling in the stomach the night before results day becomes 10 times worse if you don't do well. Make sure you do your best and you won't have to worry.

I know this might be a lot to digest but I have to live with it. Make sure you don't.

Good luck.

wow
Reply 5
Original post by Thestudentreem

Good luck.

What were your predicted grades?
Original post by Hate_skl
What were your predicted grades?

They calculated from gases so B's and A's.
Reply 7
10/12/2018, Term 1 2018-19 result release
GPA: 3.83 (on a 5-point scale)
I immediately cried after receiving the result, and it ended up on a 2:1 for me instead of 1st, which I have got in every term since year 7. I will be taking my IGCSE soon, so I need to work much harder, especially in Physics and Further Maths, which I only got 61% and 72% respectively!

Quick Reply

Latest