The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Shocking act of racism at Warwick University

I recently made a thread where I asked people to choose whether they'd rather get rid of racism or homophobia in society, with an overhwelming majority of users opting for racism. Those opting for homophobia, however, sought to justify their decision by putting forth the premise that racism in society has all but been eradicated, whereas homophobia, by and large, remains prevalent. Is this really the case though? Has society really rid itself of racism?

The recent rise of far-right groups in Europe suggests otherwise. UKIP's phenomenal level of success in the recent European elections, coupled with the meteoric rise of the Front National in France and the Danish People's Party in Denmark suggests we have a long way to go before we can defiantly claim racism is a thing of the past.

This feeling of scepticism became even more poignant when recently, at Warwick University, a student posted a photo depicting the capture of a ****** on the 'Best Snapchat Warwick' page. If these instances of casual racism persist in the upper, more educated echelons of society, are we kidding ourselves when we suggest that racism is a thing of the past?
(edited 9 years ago)
in!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by j.sethzai
I recently made a thread where I asked people to choose whether they'd rather get rid of racism or homophobia in society, with an overhwelming majority of users opting for racism. Those opting for homophobia, however, sought to justify their decision by putting forth the premise that racism in society has all but been eradicated, whereas homophobia, by and large, remains prevalent. Is this really the case though? Has society really rid itself of racism?

[...]

The reverse is also true, lots of people replied saying they wanted homophobia to increase
Original post by vincentjack
The reverse is also true, lots of people replied saying they wanted homophobia to increase

No doubt the Muslim users.
People need a sense of humour, that snapchat was clearly for comedic purposes only. People are getting butt hurt for no reason. You don't tell black people on America to stop calling each other *******, because they're not saying it in a way to mean offense.
A picture & caption appears on a facebook because of the actions of one attention seeker - they didn't have a vote of the warwick student body on it first and decide it was a jolly good idea... in fact it seems like everybody there went ballistic and took it down asap.

actual racism is pretty clearly much less of a problem than it was even a few decades ago - but are we ever going to arrive at a situation where it's impossible for some individual to ever perform a racist troll on the internet, probably not tbh.
Original post by tehforum
No doubt the Muslim users.

Plenty of doubt in that statement actually

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending