Dinwiddy House: Internet Speed/Connection Watch

extravaganza
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
just read somewhere that the internet connection in Dinwiddy house is bad. is it? and do you have to pay extra for it (again, heard it's ~16 pounds pm) or is it included in what you pay for your room, 108 pounds pw i suppose? i don't know yet if i'll get a room if Dinwiddy but if the answer to my question is a yes, i'd rather go rent a flat
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by extravaganza)
just read somewhere that the internet connection in Dinwiddy house is bad. is it? and do you have to pay extra for it (again, heard it's ~16 pounds pm) or is it included in what you pay for your room, 108 pounds pw i suppose? i don't know yet if i'll get a room if Dinwiddy but if the answer to my question is a yes, i'd rather go rent a flat
Ive heard very bad stories about the internet connection/phone service in Dinwiddy. Overpriced and low quality according to most which is hardly surprising given that a monopoly was awarded to some non-entity of a company. Go intercollegiate and enjoy the free 10mbps broadband in your room .
wyrdness
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We were discussing this a few weeks ago on this thread. Looks like we never reached a conclusive answer on whether Dinwiddy's internet is decent or not though. As long as it gets me on the internet I'm not too fussed, though my days of downloading entire movies overnight may shortly be coming to an end.
BovineBeast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
Ive heard very bad stories about the internet connection/phone service in Dinwiddy. Overpriced and low quality according to most which is hardly surprising given that a monopoly was awarded to some non-entity of a company. Go intercollegiate and enjoy the free 10mbps broadband in your room .
Well, it's not overpriced, since it's free. But I think it's only 256 kbps.
lolita is my boyfriend
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well, if its crap, we can get a petition going or something.

there is no way i am gonna put up with crap internet, not a chance in hell !!!!!

if its crap like every resident will sign a petition etc, and im sure we can get it sorted. its our right to have good internet, we need it for our studies (yeah right). we were told on the open day that SOAS student union is very active, and always protesting about something or other.

i predict we will have lovely internet, or else !!!!
wyrdness
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can just imagine loads of Dinwiddians marching around the premises with giant signs and doing protest chants. Of course in reality most people wouldn't do that as 1) it's too much effort 2) Keycom (or whoever) isn't going to see or care and 3) most people actually have a life and wont be carrying signs or chanting just to amuse me.
b4nk5y
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Man i got 16mbit at home.
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can't believe if I go to SOAS and want self catered I will have to pay for a slow connection... at Kings I was at intercollegiate and got ultra fast net for free... I could host lag-free 16 player co-op games on XBOX 360 for god's sake!!
BovineBeast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cheesecakebobby)
I can't believe if I go to SOAS and want self catered I will have to pay for a slow connection... at Kings I was at intercollegiate and got ultra fast net for free... I could host lag-free 16 player co-op games on XBOX 360 for god's sake!!
You don't have to pay. It's free, but slow.
zxczxc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cheesecakebobby)
If you want to play games then stay at home
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ok well free isn't so bad. And seeing as my career involves me playing games, staying at home won't help me very much :rolleyes:
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BovineBeast)
Well, it's not overpriced, since it's free. But I think it's only 256 kbps.
When did that happen? When i was applying you had to sign up to a contract and all this nonsense.
BovineBeast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
When did that happen? When i was applying you had to sign up to a contract and all this nonsense.
Argh, perhaps I was wrong. Having looked on their website (which last time I looked implied, at least, that you only had to pay if you upgraded), it seems that you might well have to pay.
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well that's just crap.
Marmotta
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BovineBeast)
Argh, perhaps I was wrong. Having looked on their website (which last time I looked implied, at least, that you only had to pay if you upgraded), it seems that you might well have to pay.
Well, if that's the case, I forsee a substantial increase in the number of wireless routers that'll be bought in the area

Really, I haven't even bothered having a thorough look at the Keycom website, as it's just so damn terrible. I just hope we can get fairly decent internet connections at a fairly decent price.
nb86
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Again, you get 256 kbit/s free of charge at Dinwiddy. To upgrade to a faster connection you have to pay a monthly fee.
This was the case last year and I'm sure the connection this year will be the same or better.
extravaganza
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by nikibary)
Again, you get 256 kbit/s free of charge at Dinwiddy. To upgrade to a faster connection you have to pay a monthly fee.
This was the case last year and I'm sure the connection this year will be the same or better.
eh, so you pay for the FASTER connection i see. let's just hope for the best now. do they have wireless internet at SOAS university building?
by the way, is it anyhow possible to change your priorities of students' halls now? i didn't get the answer about accommodation yet and i'd love to put down one of the intercollegiate halls instead of dinwiddy..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
    Sat, 9 Mar '19
    Wed, 29 May '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (6)
16.67%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (17)
47.22%
Nope, not that interesting (13)
36.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise