The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 1
Hi there,

I also arrived at Sheffield by insurance choice, but am quite happy to have done so now. From previous experience of the city, I can tell you that:

1. The people in Sheffield are some of the friendliest in the world;

2. As has been mentioned many a time on this forum, the crime rate in Sheffield works out to be one of the lowest, Sheffield being classed as Britain's Safest City;

3. If you are studying Arts (or even if you're not) there's the wonderful lift in the Arts tower with the German/Dutch/foreign name that I can't remember at the moment (No doors - just step on - but don't fall down...);

4. The Law department looks very new and shiny, which is always a plus;

5. Sheffield is home of the Arctic Monkeys, as well as being home of the Sheffield Hallam Arena, which frequently gets very good gigs;

6. Not one, but TWO football teams;

7. And, of course, the Supertrams!!! My friends take the piss, but I can't get enough of the trams...

Hope that's made you feel a bit better.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
1. Great Union, lots of societies, facilities and of course entertainment.
2. Nightlife in the city is amazing
3. Everything is walking distance ...
4. Good town centre + meadowhall for any shopping you need to do

these are the things that make sheffield great for me, the course is just as good as it can be , but i love the social aspect of sheffield, if your prepared to meet new people, you'll make lots of new mates, and have an awesome time!
Reply 3
ey up ladies and gents, i'm coming to Sheffield, from Leeds and i'm reet excited. I don't know anything about the place other than shops and gigs, and if you like your vintage clothes and your constant flow of new live music then you can't go much wrong.There are also these two amazing independant record shops on the same street as the vintage shops which topped the place off for me. Theres loads being done to the city at the mo aswel, i reckon going to uni here is a grand choice!!

message me on myspace if your coming to sheffield n'all in september www.myspace.com/anneliesedevine
Well other than the fact that I'm going....great city, great uni, not sure about your specific course, but it must be good for you to be considering it, great shopping, great nightlife, lovely places, its just all fab
All I can say is that I'm in love with the place. There's not a single thing that irritates me. I've been home for 2 months now and I can't wait to get back, I'm so bored at home - And I live in Manchester!!!!!

The only advice I can give everyone is to take advantage of absolutely everything that comes your way, then you won't wish in your 2nd year that you'd done more in your 1st year!!!
Reply 6
Haha, there's so much to do in Sheffield. I've been living here 18 years and I know I definately haven't done everything (probably due to being lazy *rolls eyes*), but you'll love it here :biggrin: ... oh, and the crazy lift in the Arts Tower is the Paternoster (if no one's said it yet) ... just don't try to go over the top or the bottom ...
Reply 7
JakeyA

3. If you are studying Arts (or even if you're not) there's the wonderful lift in the Arts tower with the German/Dutch/foreign name that I can't remember at the moment (No doors - just step on - but don't fall down...);

The Paternoster...Latin for 'Our Father'
Reply 8
Wow! Long time I didn't come here :smile: Nice to see that some people are still around since I registered!

Well, all of us were freshers/beginners/n00b sometime... I just can tell you about my experience as an international full-time student in Sheffield: it was very good.

Better, VERY GOOD :wink:

Let's start analyzing the "facts":

1) They always talk about the low criminality rates. Statistics are statistics... But, I mean, I felt very safe all the time. Of course, there are places or times that's better not to go... But, hey, it-s a rather big city and that happens everywhere. As long as you're a bit careful, you'll be safe. And my impression, anyway, is that I felt a lot safer than in other places I've been.

2) If you're the 'club' kind of person, there's a wide variety of places to go. From big to small, from more classical to modern... Even cheesy or crappy. If you like more some quiet activities, there's also a cultural offer: drama, jazz concerts, the film society (that projects rather new movies every week at the Union Auditorium and they're cheap)... And not too far you find Manchester and its even bigger offer. Shopping? Meadowhall, although I'm not that much into that stuff :smile:

3) If you love nature, I guess have not much more to say about this: Peak District. Half an hour by bus and you're in the middle of an amplke network of paths to hike wherever you want.

4) Academically, the university is very good. And also it has a good reputation... Most of the professors and staff I met were really friendly and willing to help.

5) Plenty of different societies to choose. Very good to get to know more people. And the Student's Union is very good... Very good support and variety of activities. Even, if you like publicizing yourself, you can choose to be one of the new union officers and make some kind of noisy campaign giving away potatoes or other stuff :smile: You had to be there to understand this point.

Well, you decide. I decided to go there before than London and other places and I'm not regretting a single moment about it. And thanks to that now I'm in Singapore :biggrin: What can I say then???

Bye!!!
YATARAN!!! I remember you! hope things are going well for you!
Reply 10
Guitarmarama
YATARAN!!! I remember you! hope things are going well for you!

Well, thanks :smile: As you say, things are going really fine. Passed all my modules in Sheffield past year and right now I'm doing a year abroad in Singapore. That mean sthis time I had an early start (lectures started on the 14th of August) but that's not really a problem. I'm having a great time over here!!!

And, also, that means I'll have an early ending too! By beginning of May they year will finish and then I'll go back to Europe. And in September, back to Sheffield.
I wanted to know....everybody is talking about London only . Like why not choose London and rather Sheffield. Can anybody put some positive comparisons ??
Reply 12
London's big and dirty. Lol I dunno only been to London once...but Yorkshire people are known for being friendlier than Londoners. Lots of random people talk to you about nothing at bus stops etc, and you can see the Londoners feeling rather unnerved by this! Sheffield is known as Britains biggest village. That's why it's better than London, end of.
babynessontoast
London's big and dirty. Lol I dunno only been to London once...but Yorkshire people are known for being friendlier than Londoners. Lots of random people talk to you about nothing at bus stops etc, and you can see the Londoners feeling rather unnerved by this! Sheffield is known as Britains biggest village. That's why it's better than London, end of.

:eek: :confused:
Reply 14
showdown_counts
:eek: :confused:

Don't look to confused by that comment! I think she just meant village as in a nice, friendly, tightly-knit community etc.
Reply 15
Yeah I think she did too...

And that is what it means.
but Yorkshire people are known for being friendlier than Londoners. Lots of random people talk to you about nothing at bus stops etc, and you can see the Londoners feeling rather unnerved by this!

When I was in London recently my friend talked to a woman at the bus stop and she walked away and sucked her teeth at us ALL the way down the street. I've never heard such a long teeth-suck.

Latest

Trending

Trending