The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think 16 is too young to be fully aware of what you want and of the implications decisions can have. But if younger people honestly believe that they're ready for it and want to have sex then they will anyway, whatever restrictions you impose.
Reply 2
Just out of wonder why do you think that 16 is too younge to know what they are doing? My view is that it is your body and your choice and I think as long as you consent sex should be allowed at 14.
Reply 3
randdom
Do you think that the government plans to make every type of sexual contact illegal under the age of 16 are a good idea or a bad idea.
The other extreme of the argument is that the age of consent should be lowered to 14 what do people think. Or do you think the age of consent is the fine as it is?

Ridiculous. 10 is quite old enough for a full sexual relationship. :rolleyes:
Reply 4
:tongue:
Reply 5
Every type of sexual contact?! How are they classifying sexual contact? Kissing could be included in that, which would be ridiculous and daft...
Reply 6
MadNatSci
Every type of sexual contact?! How are they classifying sexual contact? Kissing could be included in that, which would be ridiculous and daft...

Yup but that is what has been suggested by the government.
Reply 7
No kissing?!?! But my 9 month old niece kisses me! (And, no she doesn't know how to pout yet, I always make sure I kiss her just to one side of her mouth LOL)
Reply 8
randdom
Just out of wonder why do you think that 16 is too younge to know what they are doing? My view is that it is your body and your choice and I think as long as you consent sex should be allowed at 14.
Your body and brain aren't fully developed at the age of 14 (Generalisation I know, but few 14 year olds are fully mature, physically). I agree that it is your body and your choice, but think there is a lot more to having sex than actually having sex - or at least there should be. There are so many very serious risks involved with sleeping with someone and even if you accept the risks you have to be willing to sort stuff out if anything does go wrong. A lot of people regret losing their virginity as they made the decision at the wrong time, based on the wrong things.
Reply 9
I thnk it is refering more to passionate kissing between a couple :confused: but that type of kissing was deffinately outlawed.
Reply 10
randdom
I thnk it is refering more to passionate kissing between a couple :confused: but that type of kissing was deffinately outlawed.

I'd like to try and see them monitor french kissing. CCTV in teen living rooms waiting for a video night...

Personally, I object to open-mouth kissing in public anyway.
Reply 11
Amb1
Your body and brain aren't fully developed at the age of 14 (Generalisation I know, but few 14 year olds are fully mature, physically). I agree that it is your body and your choice, but think there is a lot more to having sex than actually having sex - or at least there should be. There are so many very serious risks involved with sleeping with someone and even if you accept the risks you have to be willing to sort stuff out if anything does go wrong. A lot of people regret losing their virginity as they made the decision at the wrong time, based on the wrong things.

I know that and think that people should be encoraged to wait until they are older. However I don't think that it should be a crime to do so. We should be putting more money into education helping people to make the right decision for them rather than prosecuting people. Also the law how it is is a bit rediculous to be honest really uneven.
randdom
Yup but that is what has been suggested by the government.

That will be nigh-on impossible to police. Someone hasn't thought that through. Plus it's silly, in my opinion - there are more important things to worry about than a couple of kids sharing a kiss!! :rolleyes:
Reply 13
I think sex education should not only include "waiting till you're ready" but also "have sex with fewer partners".
Reply 14
IMHO 14 year olds should be studying trigonometry and taking cold showers after brutal cross country runs in sub zero temperatures and not humping one another. So, No. I definately wouldn't approve of lowering the age of consent to 14.

However, as for making ALL forms of sexual consent illegal under age of 16......that's just daft.

Generation after generation of kids have been fiddling around with one another (behind the bicycle sheds according to my Dad) from a much earlier age than that! If the government thinks is can pass pre-16 "anti-tinkering" legislation and anybody will actually take heed they're madder than I thought they were. Which is saying something.
Reply 15
blissy
I think sex education should not only include "waiting till you're ready" but also "have sex with fewer partners".

I guess but if you only sleep with people who you are in a relationship with then that is ok. If someone has lots of one night stands I wouldn't judge them but I personally wouldn't have a one night stands. I think personally I would only sleep with people I am in love with. If someone wants to have lots of partners as an adult I don't see what is wronge.
Reply 16
randdom
I guess but if you only sleep with people who you are in a relationship with then that is ok. QUOTE]

Surely that depends how you define relationships. What about short term relationships (like one night stands)? What would happen to the age old tradition of "pull a pig night" without the sex element?
Reply 17
I wouldn't define a one night stand as a relationship because I think a relationship has to have some type of commitment in them. What is pull a pig night?
randdom
What is pull a pig night?

A bit like f**k a fresher week...a sad little game for sad little boys with sad lonely little penises :biggrin:
Reply 19
Pencil Queen
A bit like f**k a fresher week...a sad little game for sad little boys with sad lonely little penises :biggrin:

Ouch! That hurt! Way below the belt! :eek:

Latest