The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
bono
I use facts to aid me in constructing my opinion.
Implying I don't?
So the fact that papers have to make money by selling papers (because we are talking about a captialist system-not about the state run media).

In fact many papers, at the time did protest about Bush's stance on the matter in both conflicts. Does that mean they weren't selling papers? Does that mean they did not conform to the Governmen'ts will?

More concentrated on portraying a negative outlook on Iraq. It was like that in England, it must have been even more emphasized and exaggerated in the USA. (Which it was)
Implying I don't?

The odd thing here and there yes, but the main bulk of your opinions aren't really backed up with any facts. None that you've clearly shown anyway.
Reply 243
bono
Yes, they did. They used the media to convey a negative perception of Iraq which aided them in going to war with a fair amount of public backing. They would be worried about it back-firing, that was my point. They wanted to invade iraq and kill people (INEVITABLY) for Oil. You know this is my opinion.

We are arguing about what the actual "similarity" involved when your analogy was made. I interpreted it as the master/inferior thing, you said it was the media reporting it to aid encouragement/improvement etc. i said it wass BS, you said mine was BS.

Despite the fact that the USA did invade Iraq, they do have control of oil supplies, thousands of civilians were killed, and the media are mainly interested in making money/selling papers.. Ahhh well...
1. You ignored my comment about this. This "negative" perception of Iraq, is the truth. Whether you like it or not. What mass murders are you referring to?

2. "They wanted to invade iraq and kill people (INEVITABLY) for Oil"

Hmmm, proof? The Americans are pouring more money than they are ever hoping to get back from any commercial gains.

I used to believe this line of theory, but I am suspecting this might not be the only reason.

3. The rgument: Thank god we have a common point at last. You know this won't ever be resolved, because we have vastly differing opinons.

4. Yes, your points were valid.

BUT are you still wanting Saddam Hussein to control the country once again? Is that your point?
Reply 244
bono
More concentrated on portraying a negative outlook on Iraq. It was like that in England, it must have been even more emphasized and exaggerated in the USA. (Which it was)
To be honest, there wasn't much good things about Iraq at the time.
Reply 245
bono
The odd thing here and there yes, but the main bulk of your opinions aren't really backed up with any facts. None that you've clearly shown anyway.
And yours is? What facts? Do you have access to information that I do not have? Do you have a tap to the President's brain? Knowing that he was going down there for Oil?
Reply 246
bono
You also seem to repeat the same "facts" again and again, and ignoring new facts.

Like teh mass muder thing, you still havn't answered my point.
1. You ignored my comment about this. This "negative" perception of Iraq, is the truth. Whether you like it or not. What mass murders are you referring to?

2. "They wanted to invade iraq and kill people (INEVITABLY) for Oil"

Hmmm, proof? The Americans are pouring more money than they are ever hoping to get back from any commercial gains.

I used to believe this line of theory, but I am suspecting this might not be the only reason.

3. The rgument: Thank god we have a common point at last. You know this won't ever be resolved, because we have vastly differing opinons.

4. Yes, your points were valid.

BUT are you still wanting Saddam Hussein to control the country once again? Is that your point?

Well, No saddam is better than a saddam in power, but in my opinion it was never worth thousands of deaths. (10, 000 I believe). They did a similar thing with Afghanistan, try to "save the country of this evil dictator" and all. Despite the thousands of deaths in Afghanistan as well, they ACHIEVED NOTHING IMO.

BTW: I referred to iraqi deaths as the majority of deaths in the iraq war were Iraqi civilians - But many US Soldiers died as well as they were forced to go to into Iraq. This was very unfair as well.
To be honest, there wasn't much good things about Iraq at the time.

You know what I'm on about. Before we were talking about Iran, of which there are good things to talk about. they do the same thing with many middle eastern nations.
You also seem to repeat the same "facts" again and again, and ignoring new facts.

Like teh mass muder thing, you still havn't answered my point.

I did.
And yours is? What facts? Do you have access to information that I do not have? Do you have a tap to the President's brain? Knowing that he was going down there for Oil?

No, simple things like thousands died in Iraq, USA went to war, the media coverage of middle eastern nations is weighted to the negative side etc. and will inevitably create distorted perceptions when referring to that country, and so on.
Reply 251
bono
Well, No saddam is better than a saddam in power, but in my opinion it was never worth thousands of deaths. (10, 000 I believe). They did a similar thing with Afghanistan, try to "save the country of this evil dictator" and all. Despite the thousands of deaths in Afghanistan as well, they ACHIEVED NOTHING IMO.

BTW: I referred to iraqi deaths as the majority of deaths in the iraq war were Iraqi civilians - But many US Soldiers died as well as they were forced to go to into Iraq. This was very unfair as well.

1. Sadaam killed more civillians than the Americans ever did. (Every year)

2. They have eradicated over 2/3 of all Al Qaeda leaderships. I don't like the way they are doing it in, but they are doing it.

And they are saving more civillian lives in the process.

Sure Afghanistan is now wrecked, and the Americans are barricading themselves inside their bases. But are the motives for going to war for oil?

"Forced to go to war" Well they could protest if they wished, and did not have to go to war. Which many people did.
So let me get this straight bono.

The BBC produced a negative documentary about Iran as part of a western media conspiracy to make money* and to help encourage the american public's support for the american government to go to war in Iraq for oil and to kill civilians.

This is what your arguements have appeared to come across as to me - if I'm wrong please feel free to enlighten me.

*bearing in mind that the BBC is a non profit making public service broadcaster.
Reply 253
bono
No, simple things like thousands died in Iraq, USA went to war, the media coverage of middle eastern nations is weighted to the negative side etc. and will inevitably create distorted perceptions when referring to that country, and so on.
Like simple things like thousands died in America in 9/11, Al Qaeda claimed jihad on America, media coverage of Western countries by the Middle Eastern countries is weighted to teh negative side etc. and will inevitably create distorted perceptions whenr eferring to that country and so on...

See, your arguments are only seeing one side of the coin. Like you said yourself. You ahev to open up your opinions.

But are the motives for going to war for oil?

Mainly yes, along with general power over other nations.
Reply 255
bono
I did.
OK then, what "mass murders" are you referring to?
Like simple things like thousands died in America in 9/11, Al Qaeda claimed jihad on America, media coverage of Western countries by the Middle Eastern countries is weighted to teh negative side etc. and will inevitably create distorted perceptions whenr eferring to that country and so on...

See, your arguments are only seeing one side of the coin. Like you said yourself. You ahev to open up your opinions.

Despite the fact that many pages ago I actually said the same thing goes on in the middle east.

Does my comments on iran's perceptions of the UK due to biased press reports and coverage ring any bells? It should do...

I did cover both sides, but only one side was relevant in the discussion as Iraq/Iran etc. haven't invaded the USA/UK...
OK then, what "mass murders" are you referring to?

I said many times, the those who died in the Iraqi war. In addition, those who died in Afghanistan as well, although I probably concentrated on those who died in the Iraqi war as it has happened more recently.
Reply 258
bono
Mainly yes, along with general power over other nations.
Are you sure? Does Afghanistan have sizable oil reserves?
Reply 259
bono
I siad many times, the those who died in the Iraqi war.
Don't forget those that died in Afghanistan as well Bono. Or are you ignoring those deaths?

Latest